Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend a sonus compatable NAS drive
  • gk74

Looking at sonus solution for music streaming however would like to stream from a NAS drive. Have you done this? What NAS drive would you recommend. Ps I am non technical so keep it simple!

Mintman
    Free Member

I use a freecom network drive that I got from Tesco years ago. Seems to work fine. It’s got some little blue lights on the front, metal casing and Ethernet network port and USB port for flagging straight into a computer should you need to.

gk74

Thanks…what do you think of sinus having owned it? Do you have a 3 or 5 or do you have a connector?

Mintman
    Free Member

I love it. I’ve got a connect plugged into my surround sound AV receiver and a Play 5 in the kitchen.

I tend to play Internet radio but when I want to stream from my NAS i just turn it on at the mains plug and sonos will see my music.

The catch is that I keep finding places in my house that could do with a play 3 or 5 (particularly upstairs) so it becoming costly! I also found that the Play 5 has a significantly better sound than the play 3 and in my eyes was well worth the extra.

gk74

It looks like a great system. I can appreciate the ‘once pop you can’t stop’ wish for more speakers…could compete with mountain bike lust!

mrchrispy

play 3 and a play 5 now, not sure what im getting next.
    any basic NAS will work, sonos will do the rest.

petrieboy

I’ve got a LaCie networkspace2 and a western digital nas. Both work fine with sonos, but the LaCie becomes a bit flakey if you try to write to it with a PC whilst sonos is on. No such problems with the WD one.

gk74

Thanks…looking at the wd drives they state dnla comparable, which I understand sonos is not so interesting to hear yours works ok.

petrieboy

Sonos isn’t incompatible, it just doesn’t need it. The LaCie should have worked fine (and indeed the sonos works flawlessly with it) it just seems the way the LaCie manages users makes it inaccessible to other users when sonos is on.

mrchrispy

ive a qnap 4 bay jobby but i dont use the media server dnla crap, i just point the sonos at the share the musi sit on and it does the rest.
    sonos=spaz proof

Pook

synology here

somouk
    Free Member

Synology DS212J all the way for network storage at home.

Some excellent apps for smartphones and a great OS on the unit itself.

The added bonus of mirrored drives as well!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a sonus compatable NAS drive’ is closed to new replies.