Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • recommend a 'Smart' trainer… or maybe a 'dumb' one?
  • lardman
    Free Member

i have a need for a turbo, as i cant always get out of the house for a ride.
    Here’s my needs/criteria/guesses. I’d appreciate a little info and experiences as they’re not a cheap item to buy, and get the wrong one.

I DO have a bike i can dedicated to the turbo and only ride it there. 700c wheels
    I would like it to be able to interact with some kind of App, to make the hours less tedious. (zwift type thing)
    I’d like Proper feedback from App, to change resistance is something i think would be good (but happy to be proved wrong)
    I’d like it to have integration to some kind of HRM, to get some science into my sessions.
    I don’t expect it to last forever, but i also don’t want to get something unreliable.
    I wont be riding outside with any need to integrate or record rides into ‘turbo sessions, or emulate anything ‘real’
    I doubt i’ll ever use it in the summer.

I cant really spend any more than £500. I was hoping to spend about £300

So far from research, i have on my list the
    Wahoo kickr snap……
    BKOOL PRO TURBO……..

Any help/hints welcomed.

mogrim

Bkool. Mainly cos I have two friends who work for them and I want the company to succeed. But they are good.

lardman
    Free Member

@mogrim
    Well, thanks, i think. I was kinda looking for more 1st hand experience recommendations tho’
    😀

smogmonster

No quite the answer you were looking for, but I have the Kickr – the wheel off one, not the Snap – however built quality is excellent on the Wahoo stuff. I cant comment on BKool turbos but you certainly wont go wrong with Wahoo. Zwift is bloody great BTW.

fisha
    Free Member

I have a cyclops fluid 2. Ties into zwift fine through using a cadence/speed sensor.

I can’t max it out for any noticeable length of time. Fairly quiet too.

magicman
    Free Member

Tacx flow from halfords cuts the mustard.

tonyf1
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tacx Bushido and it’s great. It’s towards the top end of your budget but I did try the Vortex and that’s nearly as good except can’t simulate the really steep slopes as well.

I would definitely go for a trainer where the resistance is controlled from the app as it massively improves realism. I used to only mange 30 minutes due to boredom but can now ride hours at a time.

Apps wise I am using FULGAZ on iOS more than Zwift as it’s got lots of long mountain climb (+800m) videos in HD.

lardman
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the tips everyone.
    I’ll check out the Tacx versions too then.
    I reckon I’m swaying toward the bKool right now as the price is more to my liking.

johnnystorm

Tacx Vortex from zee Germans, although Brexit might have torpedoed that option.

atlaz
    Free Member

i have a bkool go… the cheaper version of the pro. Very impressive when used in full smart mode. Their app is decent if you get a bundled price like I did

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘recommend a 'Smart' trainer… or maybe a 'dumb' one?’ is closed to new replies.