Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend a small economical 5 door automatic car
  • iolo
    Free Member

My mum has parkinsons disease so needs an automatic car. A push button handbrake would be very handy too. Budget is a maximum of £10k.
    It must have 5 doors and needs to be economical – preferably with free car tax.

somouk
    Free Member

Plenty of VW Polos about that are auto, they are the old slushbox auto though not DSG so that will effect economy a little bit.

The push button hand brake will be hard to find on anything under 10k as it’s a newer addition to mainstream cars really.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Fiat Panda with the dualogic box? Our 1.2 manual is very frugal but has £30 VED. The steering is light and has a city mode to make parking even easier. The handbrake is very easy to grip too.

andyl
    Free Member

Prius.

Should easily get a facelift one for that budget.

MoreCashThanDash

Fabia – we have the 1.2 Tsi which is fairly economical but awful for car tax. Great 7speed DSG gearbox

Ibiza/Polo are all the same.

Have to say, I hate push button handbrakes. MrsMC is disabled and struggles with any handbrake as it’s her left side that is affected. With an automatic, the type of handbrake is less of an issue?

rc200f8
    Free Member

Suzuki alto, splash, swift, all 5 door with proper auto boxes, none of your dsg/easytronic rubbish. No electronic handbrakes though.

blastit
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

If I were you I would go for either Suzuki or Toyota Yaris/Auris but not sure about Hybrids.

Yes, very easy to drive (I drive a 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.6 Auto petrol here) and I think I would go for Yaris 1.5 litre engine as I prefer bigger engine but Suzuki is good too.

The link by blastit looks good.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Toyota hybrid is the easiest car I have ever driven. Light steering, impossible to be rough with the throttle. Whilst I love a VW DSG gearbox they are actually slightly harder to be smooth with than a traditional auto.

Lots of Prius around for that price and much less. All Toyota hybrid have a push button for park mode, and a foot operated “handbrake”.

Yaris Hybrid would be perfect if you could find one. Only £14k new so might find one for ten. Otherwise Smart? They have a full auto mode, no?

proper auto boxes, none of your dsg/easytronic rubbish.

Hah, the reason DSG was invented is because “proper” auto boxes as you call them are in fact rubbish, especially with small engines.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Most of the Honda Jazz sold are autos. They are very practical cars with good all round visibility. Should get quite a nice current model one for £10k.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a small economical 5 door automatic car’ is closed to new replies.