• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • recommend a ski resort thats good for beginner children
  • karnali
    Free Member

have looked at morzine as it has the swimming complex but struggling to find suitable accommodation at present, thought I’d found a place on airBnB but it had gone. 3 adults and 2 children aged 9 and 6

cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

Have you asked zeb at chalet Montana if he has a suitable room?

CheesybeanZ

Check out Andorra , first class ski school and enough piste to keep experienced skiers happy .

karnali
    Free Member

Stoner will do, cheezy any particular resorts in andorra?

piemonster

I’d be more than happy to go to Trysil, especially at the Hurflll Hiiiffflllej errr this place https://www.skistar.com/en/Trysil/Lodging/Lodging-areas/Trysil-Hoyfjellssenter/

Lots of wide easy quiet slopes just minutes from the apartments, good ski school, genuinely excellent when compared to my experience of Italian ski schools. Just don’t go if you like to drink and eat out, not unless you’ve cash to burn!

leffeboy

Sainte Foy is great for children as it has few slopes and nothing to difficult which makes it cheap but fun. For adults there is lots of off piste

nealglover
    Free Member

Mayrhofen is great for kids.

They basically have their own mountain with a dedicated children’s ski school right outside the exit of the cable car.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For kids –
    Short transfer, short transfer and short transfer. 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

And when is as important as where… you don’t actually want it to snow while they are learning… too blooming cold…. brrrr

nickjb
    Free Member

Avoriaz would be better than Morzine. Same ski area but there are beginner’s slopes very close to the hotels. The pool is also great for kids.

CheesybeanZ

We’ve stayed in soldeu a few times, ski school right on the doorstep , decent restaurants and bars and a couple of the hotels have great spar facilities .

TheDTs
    Free Member

OK a short transfer is great, but I would put close to the ski school above the transfer. A short and level walk to the ski school makes a massive difference, every day of the holiday.
    It makes going back out after lunch more straight forward too.
    The kids (and possibly you) will be knackered so If you can make it any easier getting too and from the slopes then you will have a great time.

On this basis, I can recommend the Peak retreats apartments in La Rosiere. We had a great time there at Easter this year. With a 3, 5, 10, 12, 13, 39, 40, 41, 42 69 & 69 year olds. Not a massive area though.

DezB
    Free Member

Geilo in Norway.

piemonster

Crystal do Geilo iirc, fly into Fagernes and a short transfer.

ocrider

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    For kids –
    Short transfer, short transfer and short transfer

And ski to front door.

captain-slow
    Free Member

La Rosiere – whole resort designed for kids and beginners but high enough to be confident of snow when booking in advance and with just enough variety to keep competent skiers interested

unknown
    Free Member

Glenshee. If you learn to ski on snow dusted heather and rock in horizontal rain you can ski anywhere.

globalti
    Free Member

La Rosiere is nice for kids but boring for experienced skiers.

Les Gets is good for learners. Don’t pronounce it Lez Getts, it’s lay-jay.

Megeve is brilliant for beginners and more experienced skiers but being a first-generation resort it’s a lowish-altitude village so you can’t ski straight back to the apartment. It also has a pretty village centre with plenty for kids to do and see. It is one of the closest to Geneva airport.

surfer
    Free Member

Avoriaz as above, I also recall Les Arcs having good slopes lower down as well. Ellmau in Austria would be my recommendation. Lots of benefits of going to traditional resort as oppose to a “man made” one. As beginners the kids will get a bit tired and their are other things to do to keep them entertained.

bonchance
    Free Member

La Rosiere (kind of prides it’s self on your criteria!)

Les Gets (short transfer from Geneva, nice little village/town, you will probably be v.close to meet points – but no pool I think – PDS is linked though for your big day out!)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

My mate has some apartments in Serre Chevelier. His website is below.

Might be worth dropping him an email if it suits the requirements and you are interested? His name is Gareth and he’s a lovely lad!

Biking there too!

http://wwww.snowmonkees.com/

Cheers
    Nick

TheDTs
    Free Member

Though I love Serre Che, I did two seasons there, and have stayed in the Snowmonkees apartments since. I wouldn’t recommend for beginners, it was a bit of a walk to the main lift out of Chantemerle and then you need the lift up and down to get to and from the nursery slopes.
    La Rosiere was much better in this regard. I would also say that any half decent skier would get it all done in a few days, we were lucky and had about 18″ fresh when we were there.
    I think that there are issues with the access road to Serre Che at the moment so the transfer could be a bit of a PITA, they may have this sorted now though.
    Also Rumble +1 Gareth is a very easy chap to deal with.

lunge

Livigno is good for beginners, skiing from the door in lots of places, nursery slopes are low, there’s good stuff higher up and there are a few non-skiing things to do for when you’ve had too much of the snow. It is however, a bugger of a transfer.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Sorry above link didnt work, here it is for anyone else interested.

TheDTS…yeah he’s a great lad.

http://snowmonkees.com/

dab

From experience I’d throw plagne in there
    Very very family friendly and lots of fun stuff to do

Also Pila is a good option & very cheap vs some of the FR & Swiss options
    Eg coffee €1.50-2 vs the €3-5 in some resorts

It’s all about fun with kids so tree runs with bumps & side excursions all go down well
    Plenty hot choc breaks and ski schools that reward improvement by a fun day out / lunch
    Instead of some stupid race down an icy piste

Heartily recommend Oxygene in La plagne for all ski lessons / hire & activities

Hth

footflaps

On this basis, I can recommend the Peak retreats apartments in La Rosiere. Not a massive area though.

If you include the Italian side, it’s pretty decent, really enjoyed out week there.

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Another massive thumbs up for Sainte Foy, next year will be our 8th trip on the trot. Perfect for kids, impossible ror them to get lost (if they stick to the piste), ski school is great, small numbers in classes.
    Off piste for the grown ups its awesome. Lift passes are cheap, accomadation is great value and most apartment blocks have pools.
    We drive down and do a week for 7 us for for about £2,100 all in incuding spending money

TheDTs
    Free Member

Italian side was shut almost the whole time I was in La Rosiere, due to high wind and lots of snow. I didn’t get the chance to get over there and be back in time to collect from ski school.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

We went to Chamrousse this January for the first time with our 7yo daughter.
    Short transfer from Grenoble. Good choice of runs.
    It’s reasonably quiet, and aimed at families.
    We used SnowTrex via a Groupon deal. Easy no hassle booking.

IHN

+1 La Rosiere

NZCol

Interesting thread, taking my 3yo next year so keen to see options – had pondered Les Gets, Morzine etc as close to Geneva and from Edinburgh options are limited. Very keen on childcare at least half a day for the week so mum and dad can get some turns in (ex-ski instructor but happy to outsource some of the teaching !)

Alex

Bit of a left field one here, but we’ve just returned from Slovenia and the ski-ing there would be ideal for beginners. Easy slopes, ski in/out of hotels, fantastic place, very cheap compared to France/Italy and lovely, lovely people. Only issue is they don’t get the guaranteed snow of some of ^^^ places although they do offer free shuttle buses to other resorts.

Resorts are small / bit old fashioned but I like them more for that. And did I mention it was cheap! We stayed in Kranjska Gora and I’d go back in a heartbeat. Might even take our (older) kids there to learn to board this winter.

snownrock

La Plagne. Enough varied Piste for everyone and plenty of family entertainment.

TheDTs
    Free Member

NZCol, The ESF ski school in La Rosiere will take younger kids in their PiouPiou ski school than many other resorts, our 3 year old did this rather than the creche. She spent much more time on skis as a result. She had a fab time and we had to drag her off the slopes.

PS. I’m not on the payroll for La Rosiere!

NZCol

TheDTs – thanks, good to know.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘recommend a ski resort thats good for beginner children’ is closed to new replies.