Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Recommend a singlespeed road bike
  • nacho
    Free Member

I know this is a MTB forum but I know many here ride the dark side. Mrs nacho races a few triathlons in the summer. She has a Trek she uses for races/road rides but want a winter training bike. She built up an old (60’s?) Raleigh into a SS and is really enjoying it so now wants to invest in a decent singlespeed for winter training/road rides. I guess budget could be anywhere around £7-800……
    Any idea’s please?

RickyRah
    Free Member

Pearson Touche?

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs Stoner is also a triathlete.
    Her winter trainer is a Pompino. 63″ for hill work.

brakes
    Free Member

condor have a few

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Langster? even new they are cheap enough to upgrade the wheelset and stay within the budget and the geometry is quite comfy. If that doesnt appeal I’d get a Genesis Day One….

gar69
    Free Member

Have a look on chainreaction… bought myself a kona bandwagon 5 months ago for the daily comute….they still have some left… with £325 off rrp!
    The look is a bit marmite thou 😉

Moses

Kona Major 1 ?

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Surly Steamroller is my winter trainer, set up fixie

zerocool

Specialized Langster. I got the limited edition Monaco one with Martini Rally style graphics.
    Ride it 4 times a week for the last 4 years – 40 weeks a year and only just replaced the cranks (and only then cos I had some FSA Gossamers lying around doing nothing). Wheels are a bit heavy, but running smooth and straight with minimal attention. Although it came with poncy track bars which were rather uncomfortable.

They do one with normal brakes and bars as well. Carbon fork, lightish Alu frame. Overall much lighter than all the cheap steel ones doing the rounds. Modern geometry as well.

Tom KP

tracknicko
    Free Member

langster. cheap as cheaps. millions of em on ebay.

light, stiff enough, decent enough kit. for £250 ish (SH) for a whole bike. whats not to like?

tracknicko
    Free Member

kona one and other more ‘scene’ ones have all been heavy as **** when i’ve looked em up/picked em up.

more recent speccy ones are basically an allez with no gears.

footflaps

I’m selling this:

DSC_1920 by brf, on Flickr

tracknicko
    Free Member

that’s impressively ugly.

lrd
    Free Member

I also just had a Kona Band Wagon from CRC. Clearance price 450 less the extra discount codes CRC keep putting up less a couple % through a cash back website and it comes in just under 400 (RRP 775).

Lovely smooth ride, I’m enjoying commuting on it. Although those silly track bars aren’t comfy so I’ll have to spend a few quid swapping them for proper road bars.

Plenty of clearance for cross tyres with a bit of tread, and rack/guard fixings if wanted.

Orange(!) wheels may eventually go, but the blue frame is lovely.

rootes1

Pearson Touche or Hanzo.

Room for proper mudgaurds, has rack mounts, and you can choose and upgrade wheels, bar types etc

Both have lobger wheelbase than many SS and are quite comfy/stable feeling

if this is for winter then full proper mudgaurds are essential

nacho
    Free Member

Thanks all, I knew we would get some help here. A SS to go up hills seems weird to me but she likes the pain! I’m going to mail her the link to this forum and let her do some research

Sam

Singular Osprey can be set up ss or fixed.

Kuco

Nice langster frame in 54cm leave plenty to put a nice build together.

xiphon
    Free Member

Spesh Langster.

Had one for several years, and only changed the pads in that time. Would love another!

john_l
    Free Member

Footflaps – what size is that Tricross?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Langster here, ive put handbuilt open sports on it and its a brilliant bit of kit.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

[/url]
    IMAG1565 by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img]

onandon
    Free Member

What gear ratios are you guys running?
    On a 26 er mtb I ride 32 14 but in thinking of building a ss rad bike and not sure where to start for the ratio.
    I live in quite a hilly area so can’t go too mad.

edhornby

200 quid gets you a dolan precursa frameset, ebay raid for finishing kit and front brake, get a cheap front wheel and spend a bit more on a rear as a fixed will last a lifetime if you never touch the brake surface. get a good chainset also.

self build means you get freedom of fit and gear size etc

[edit] onandon it depends on how hilly and whether you want freewheel or fixed, try finding a gear (on a geared bike) that you cant get up most hills on and start with this, better to start small and move up.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

42×16 Bit spinny over 20mph and bit tough when it gets steep.

_tom_
    Free Member

I really enjoyed my Langster, wish I never sold it for a geared road bike! Was only £200 2nd hand as well. Still considering going back to one.. I was using 48-16 which was about right for around Northants, maybe a little too easy if anything.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S trains at 63″ on the Malverns which are a quite hilly.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I just bought one of these….

Whilst we’re on the subject of fixies/singlespeeds, can anyone recommend a good set of singlespeed/fixie wheels? The ones it came with are ok, but a bit numb.

Stoner
    Free Member

I built my own from some Open Sports, Sapim race spokes and On-One track hubs.

Slightly cheaper than going for Open Pros.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

If it’s a winter training bike can I suggest you also check clearances for proper mudguards and also (without being misogynistic) how easy it is to remove the back wheel with them fitted.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

On-one / Planet-X seem all out of track hubs / wheels…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve had Crud Race Guards on my other singlespeed and they’re super bendy so allow the wheel out no problem.

You get a bit of intermittent rubbing in use, but it doesn’t really drag much.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a singlespeed road bike’ is closed to new replies.