• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend a portable solar charger?
  • 40mpg

After something small and light which will trickle charge a phone during the day – ideally something which could be strapped on a pack or bike.

I’ve no idea how effective these are, the theory sounds great, but if I’m wasting my time expecting to charge a phone over a day, don’t hold back just flame me 😀

thehustler
    Free Member

maplins do a few

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got a Bushnel Solar Wrap. Worth a look.

marmaduke
    Free Member

I don’t find anything less than a Nomad 7,will work well, especially in the UK. Also if you’re charging a smart/iPhone they really don’t like being charged directly off the 5v output. You really need a small battery pack to act as a buffer otherwise the iPhone will refuse to charge and android devices will cycle screen on/off with the varying current from the sun/shade and will maybe lose power. There’s an app called ‘Solar screen off’ which helps somewhat.

martymac

admittedly i have only used a cheap ebay one and i do live in scotland, but i just wouldnt bother with the solar bit in the uk.
    i would buy an external battery powered charger that uses AA or similar.
    maybe more expensive ones are better like, mine was about 20 quid off ebay and takes 3 days to charge up fully in direct sunlight.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Yea I agree, I used mine for touring the Balkans when I didn’t have access to electricity much.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I looked at these and decided against. Loads of the reviews were just too mixed. Ended up buying a 30 quid anker battery that charges my phone 5+ times. Not particularly small or light but does the job. You can get lower capacity ones.

TooTall
    Free Member

Nope. Don’t bother. You’d not want to spend the money needed to do the job properly in the UK. Have a look on eBay for ‘usb battery’ and take the power with you. FAR cheaper, loads of capacity, less risk.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have used a powertraveller monkey doobery with mixed success in UK summer months until rain killed the pack. Relented and now use an Anker 13000mha rechargeable battery pack, which is handy with built in torch – cost me 27 quids. Smartphones are a mixed benefit and burden IMO. For long touring I use a B&M USBwerk and dynohub.

40mpg

Cheers folks, I was worried that may be the case. Looks like battery pack the way to go then.

Olly
    Free Member

I bought a free loader pico. Don’t know if it was broken from day one but its utter rubbish. Lidl have some in at the mo….

Generally the solar chargers charge an onboard battery, which you then charge your phone with. They can also be filled from a usb input. Lidl ones are 2200mah iirc

Olly
    Free Member

You could consider an AA battery powered recharger. Not as green but you can always buy full batteries for it…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a portable solar charger?’ is closed to new replies.