Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend a new lens for my DSLR pls
  • andy8442
    Free Member

I’ve had a Sigma 18-200 canon fit for 8-9yrs now but its AF is on the blink so I’m looking for a similar all round zoom for general use. I’m considering the Canon 24-105 L series (expensive but you’ll never lose a penny on it) but has anyone experience of the new Sigmas, Tokinas, or Tamaron lenses in this particular range. It would be going on a Canon 650D so cropped sensor.

Cougar

The Canon 55-250 is pretty good for the money. It’s what I have (but then, I’m tight).

andy8442
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar. What I should have said I still want the wide end. The 55mm on my 650D would be close to a 90mm lens.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Apologies for the cheeky response but I have a 17-55 f2.8 that needs to go to a home where it will get used.

They are still the ultimate general purpose zoom for cropped cannons. A lovely, pin sharp lens just not getting the use it deserves.

Email is profile if interested.

Cougar

How much do you want for it?

andy8442
    Free Member

Is it the Canon kit lens?

Cougar

Unlikely – that’s an 18-55 and nothing like F2.8.

I mean, yes, yes it is, so you won’t want it. (-:

Cougar

Incidentally,

Why would you want a ‘wide end’ on a superzoom?

andy8442
    Free Member

I want a general purpose lens with a decent range, like my old one, but sharper, with working AF, and constant aperture.So not much really!

bomberman
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s what andy said, he said he wants the wide end. You mentioned superzoom, not him.

Don’t go for another superzoom though, they’re pants. Distorted wide ends and fuzzy long ends.

What do you shoot Andy? Outdoors? Indoors? People? Animals? Birds? Plants? Is low light important? Would you need IS or large aperture?

These things are important.

bomberman
    Free Member

with a decent range, like my old one, but sharper

posted my last response before i saw this one.

You won’t get a zoom with that range and good optics or constant aperture – that’s the trade-off.

Just stay well clear of those kind of zooms 😉

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

How about Sigma 17-70mm

bomberman
    Free Member

Depending on your requirements, take your pick from any of these as they’re all gems:

Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS
    Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS
    Canon 70-300 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-IS version sharper than IS version)
    Canon 55-250 (value)
    Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4

I think secretly you want the 24-104 and it’s about as wide ranging as it gets without being a bit naff in the optics department. Canon colours will blow you away compared to sigma which all have a slight warm cast. Tamron colours are nice. But for sharpness, colours and contrast you want the 24-104 and it’s waterproof on the 7D if you decide to go that route 😉

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

it’s waterproof on the 7D

Showerproof or water resistant would be a better description, definitely not waterproof though

jaymoid

I’d replace that one lens with about 4 different lenses 😀 Those big range zooms are a big compromise. Maybe good for a holiday if you can only take one lens. I’d get a Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55 2.8, a nice prime (28 to 35mm ish), and a telephoto something (not my forte).

I’d only get that 24-104L if you were going to upgrade to full frame soon, or have something else for wide angle duties. Bit of a weird choice for a 650D, the canon 17-55 might 2.8 be a bit more useful*.
    * caveat with this lens is the noise of the IS motor when recording video with the built in mic.

danrandon
    Free Member

Ffordes photographic have some nive lenses

http://ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/EOS_Fitting

footflaps

My fave DX lens is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 I use on my D7000.

andy8442
    Free Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I love this forum for prompt and expert (ish) answers.

Yes, I secretly want the 24-105 Canon. I just want your permission. And yes I probably will go full frame eventually. I have a whole load of primes, each for its particular job, but sometimes a day out with the kids requires a bit of everything. I know any zoom is a compromise ( not the Canon 70-200L IS USM mk2 though) but needs must!

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

24-105 isn’t a great length for a crop sensor, also not a great lens IMO. Canon 17-55 2.8 would get my vote.

tonyd

I might be interested in that 17-55 if Cougar doesn’t buy it, drop me a mail if it’s available?!

jaymoid

Yes, I secretly want the 24-105 Canon. I just want your permission. And yes I probably will go full frame eventually. I have a whole load of primes, each for its particular job, but sometimes a day out with the kids requires a bit of everything.

Sounds like you have your answer.

I forgot to mention the canon 15-85mm, which is a good walkaround/on-holiday lens for a crop body, but optically it’s pretty average (So I have the 17-55 2.8 as well – but this leads to a lot of hard decisions when packing my camera bag).

alfabus
    Free Member

+1 for the 17-55mm 2.8 – expensive, but worth every penny… since I bought it, it hardly ever leaves my camera!

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got the 24-105L and use it with my 700D (newer version of 650D) Its a great lens BUT…. it really isnt wide enough on a crop sensor. (about 38mm). I am tending to use my 50mm prime a lot at the moment or resort back to my 18-55 kit lens when i need wider.

I doubt I will sell the 24-105 as I will go full frame eventually (5dmk4 or 6dmk2), but even then 24 still isnt that wide on FF and would still be wanting a wide angle lens for landscapes.

I would be interested to try the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS but loathe to spend any money of EF-S lenses.

bomberman
    Free Member

it’s waterproof on the 7D
    Showerproof or water resistant would be a better description, definitely not waterproof though

OK pedant.

It has a rubber gasket on the lens mount so if you’re using a weather sealed body like the 7D you can take photos in the rain (or snow) without worrying too much about it. Light rain….of course. Heavy rain…..yes if you’re quick. Persistant heavy rain….best not. A quick run under the tap….i’ve seen it done. Complete immersion….no. But definitely one of Canon’s weather sealed L lenses.

17-55 in the rain…….no.

Canon 40D in the rain…..no. As i found out at silverstone.

I think the OP would like either a 7D with 17-40L and 24-105L or a MK3 with 24-105 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a new lens for my DSLR pls’ is closed to new replies.