Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommend a light weight full face trail helmet please…
  • rockhopper70

I have just returned from a weekend in Morzine and while I did not suddenly increase in speed from my normal "nice n easy" speed, it was definately steeper and I did go over the bars quite heavily, something not really experienced at home. I landed on the side of the head on a grassy knoll so no injury save for torn shirt, sore shoulder and cut shin. I was wearing a giro xen that took a bit of a hit on the side but I just thought what would happen had there been a rock or something hard at the point of impact. As such, I think I am going full face next year but don't need the weight and bulk (if they are) of a full on DH helmet. Is their such a thing as a full face trail helmet??? Or are the 661 evo types ok anyway. Started looking early and the bell drop seems like it might be OK as the BMX helmets appear a bit lighter. Advice and experiences please…

akira

Specialized Deviant has better venting than most,

Popocatapetl

The Met parachute is ok, but the chin bar is quite high if you,ve got a long chin (like me). The new "urge" helmets (Google it at urgebike.com) provide more protection around the side of the head in their Enduro version but i don't think they have a UK distributor yet.

rockhopper70

thought of the parachute but the rumour is the chinguard shatters into sharp shards on impact and pose a risk in themselves. nice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have a look at POC.

Popocatapetl

It's just a rumour! i've had my Met Parachute for two years and i wear it during the winter when riding solo in the Peak. i've had a few over the bar crashes with it and it has saved me from a number of trips to A & E and dentist bills. It does what it's designed to do. (Awaits TJ)

rockhopper70

have you hit it on the chin guard??

Popocatapetl

Yes, full on over the bars down the "Beast" in the peak on the last sharp right hander. I still suffered a bruise to the left hand side of my face where a rock had protruded past the length of the chin guard. The chin guard took the weight of me and the bike (i was still clipped in) and is still intact! The only reason i don't wear it all the time is that it's a bit warm in the summer and lets face it, you look a bit of a tit riding normal trails with a FF on!!

rj
    Free Member

I had a Spesh Deviant and found it very good. Relatively light and well vented in comparison to pretty much every other full face I've tried.

t-p26
    Free Member

Trail Fullface?

bobbyspangles

carbon troy lee, light and safe plus you wont look like a complete bell-end as you would if wearing a met parachute.

thv3
    Free Member

Another Spesh Deviant fan here, I bought mine especially for Morzine and it was perfect.

Quite light and very well ventilated.

Popocatapetl

carbon Troy Lee! Vas Costen Bitte!!!!!

stevede
    Free Member

definately not convinced by the met offering. As said above the spesh deviant is as close as you'll get to what you want but try before you buy as fitting is a bit strange imo. Most of the newer 661, THE, tld, poc lids are pretty light but none are designed for trail riding and you will prob overheat climbing in pretty much any decent full facer.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I almost plumped for the specialized devaint, but in the end I found a really good deal on a carbon Giro Remedy. You really do notice the weight difference, and if it's nicer to wear, it has to be better value for money…

Northwind

The Met can give very good protection, I've seen a full-on face plant with one and a mate of mine has done a few. Everyone's seen that pic of the guy with the cut face after the jawbone broke off the helmet but ask yourself, would he have been unscathed with a standard open face? That said I don't like the design at all, the jaw sticks out a very long way which has got to leave you more exposed to serious twisting/rotation in a crash if things go wrong. To me it's an XC helmet with a bit of face protection, not to be confused with a full face helmet, and it does seem to do the job pretty well.

Deviant seems the obvious choice really. POC's offering will no doubt be awesome, all POC kit is, but expensive.

rubberneck
    Free Member

only fault i have with the met P is that the pads are shoite and the center ridge of the inner foam padding is a bit 'sharp', apart from that its a good aggro xc helmet and looking at the scratches on the chin guard its saved my lovely feature as few times.

bobbyspangles

aggro xc………?

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Use a Giro Remedy helmet which is comfy and airy plus is glassfibre too The best bit is the liner is washable

BFITH
    Free Member

OP: Are still going on about that little knock you had! 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've done a 20mile XC ride on a BMX in a 661 full facer. It hurt, I had headaches for days, but I didn't die.

Limy
    Free Member

Urge Helmets are distributed in the UK by Decade Europe. Apparently out the end of Sept.

nols
    Free Member

Ok so the Troy Lee Carbon is quite possibly the best helmet you can buy in that its so well made and the fit is just sublime. I have the Carbon Deviant as well and its excellent. I'm off to Chamonix in August for a few days of all mtn type stuff and I'll be wearing the Deviant as its so incredibly well ventilated. Most of the other glass fibre stuff is just too heavy if you're going to be doing any kind of up hill or all mountainey type stuff. That being said, I know lots of people use their normal xc lid for uphilly bits then switch to a cheaper full face that they've been carrying in/on their packs once they're at the top.

bazzer
    Free Member

Just to balance things up I have seen a cracked deviant, mate was knocked out by the impact and is still alive so you could argue it did its job. But its not a full DH lid, like a TLD or a THE etc

Bazzer

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Still no TJ? Whats going on?

nols
    Free Member

I'd agree with Bazzer, Deviant is not a dedicated downhill helmet like a TLD. It is however way better than the frankly horrid Met P. The Carbon one is really light and its soo well ventilated.

rkk01
    Free Member

Another for the Deviant. Rode up (and down 😀 ) Snowdon in mine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BontyBuns – Member

Still no TJ? Whats going on?

I don't have a lot to say that is not obvious to anyone with half a brain

Cycle helmets are not tested in the chinbar, ( well there is a test for DH helmets but they don't publish methodology nor is it mandatory) met parachute has no eps in the chinbar to absorb impact, the design of it could well catch on something giving you different injuries ( neck breaks / scrambled brains)

Want a FF helmet – get one. Want a open face with a brushguard then get one

I have heard anecdotes of the chinbar breaking and causing injury on a met but its only hearsay

Casco viper might be a better bet – eps chinbar

Tracey

Ive got a Specialized Deviant carbon, got it at half price a couple of years ago from J E James. Will be taking it to Verbier at the weekend

Tracey

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I suspect the inserts would shear out of the helmet, before the chinbar would break, on my met

I have seen a friend come away with bruises to his nose and forehead, after his front wheel fell out on a jump, wearing a met. Chinbar was intact.

mangatank
    Free Member

Perhaps you need to take a more pragmatic approach to trail safety? 😉

crikey
    Free Member

No one done the most obvious answer?

cookeaa

Other than the Parachute (Which looks utterly gash and useless to me) I’m not really aware of anything that really qualifies as a “light weight full face trail helmet”

My suggestion would be get a Cheaper 661 (strike perhaps) and book on some uplifts before your next alpine trip to get used to descending, at speed with a hot muggy Full facer on like a real man…. Grrrr!

Then pick a fancier better ventilated Helmet closer to your trip (and try it on first!)…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Want a FF helmet – get one. Want a open face with a brushguard then get one

It's a compromise between how much comfort/cooling you want to sacrifice for the sake or more protection. I rode in the Sierra Nevada in a Parachute whilst my mate had a Spesh Deviant. To be fair neither of us really tested them but he was hotter and sweatier. Personally I struggle to get a normal lid to fit never mind a full facer, but I could see myself getting one if I ever did an uplift week.

MarkN
    Free Member

LOL you 2, cheered up my afternoon.

rockhopper70

POC Cortex flow looks nice..

rockhopper70

…..£165!!!!!!!!!!>……………… 😯

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a light weight full face trail helmet please…’ is closed to new replies.