Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend a light softshell
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’m after a light softshell top with an ‘active cut’ as some brands seem to call it. longish back and arms but not too bike specific a cut.
    a bit of info on sizing be nice too. i’m on the small side of medium; Montane mediums are a smidge on the big side.

about the hunder quid mark at most i’m thinking

tomaso
    Free Member

Aldi have some this weekend I think – see other thread

Cyclcestore have some Endurance softshell jackets with 41? off, just bought a Stealth for £99 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a lovely Patagonia softshell which is just what you describe.

Think it was 120 rrp though.

Del

hagloffs get my shout.

shredder
    Free Member

Either of these
    Linky
    linky

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks fellas.
    any more?

SimonR

Oops …. double post

SimonR

North Face Puddle – Gore windstopper fabric with no lining so weather resistant and pretty breathable. Great fit too. Got one of the gilets too – lovely bit of kit.

matt_outandabout

My Montane Dyno seems the best of all worlds, and ideal for a bike in being really light, very breathable and still my ‘go to’ jacket on the bike and hill. For warmer, properly wind tight and more resistant to rain the Montane Krypton.

ontor
    Free Member

I love my berghaus extreme but it’s not light and packable. it’s like donning a suit of armor.

andybanks
    Free Member

Surface Snugflex – Was £60-£70 but now reduced to £50. Also available new on eBay for £30.

https://www.surface-clothing.com/Shop/Snugflex-Casual-Water-Repellant-Hoodie

I’m very impressed with mine.

iainc

Just bought one of those eBay snugflex, cheers Andy 🙂

…..even though I don’t need another jacket 😳

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got a north face apex soft shell for sale in medium. Very lightweight and fits me with long arms!

z1ppy

Andy, what are the under arm eyelet vents about on the surface? Just a couple if holes (as i suspect) or actually a zipped vent?

tmb467
    Free Member

Go Outdoors did a great one last year – 40quid for a waterproof windproof jacket with under arm zips, hood, longer cut at the back. Really breathable from my experience

Merino base layer and a fleece gilet covers all riding conditions – except maybe heavy heavy rain. Seams seem good and it has held up under a few crashes

Not sure if they still do it but it was their north ridge range

MSP

Just got a montane hyena, very pleased with it. Polartec power shield seems about the best rated of current soft-sell materials. Cut is close without being tight. I can already find it becoming my go to jacket, for pretty much everything.

I find north face rather boxy cut, fine for wearing to the shops or going for a walk, but not what I would want for biking.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got a Karrimor one for 30 notes from F&T and it seems pretty good for the money. Not a bike fit so not very long in the back but I’ve not had a problem with that and arms are plenty long enough. Its fairly thin so isn’t bulky but its been warm enough with one merino layer under it. Water seems to run off it reasonably well too. Worth a punt for 30 quid.

andybanks
    Free Member

@z1ppy – just a couple of holes.

I bought it as a casual extra layer for around town. Ended up using it a couple of times out on the bike and it’s great.

Nice fit, water runs of nicely and very comfy.

Only found out this week that Surface is the clothing part of Charge.

iainc

Surface one arrived today – looks pretty decent for the £30 it cost. Will probs wear off rather than on the bike right enough

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a light softshell’ is closed to new replies.