Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend a hydro-pack, tough and 3 litres please
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Currently using an old type Mule, getting some discomfort issues which may or may not be soley down to the pack, but as it's nearing xmas I may leave a note for santa.

I need to carry three litres of water, not looking for a mahoosive thing to carry about either. Like it to be made of tough material and of course be comfy. I'm intrigued by the Wingnut, but not keen on the pouches sticking out at the side, as I weave through deertrack – a mate has one and says it catches on things from time to time, also I noticed the mesh has ripped up easily – other than that!!

The new Mule in khaki looks kinda rugged…..

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

I love my Wingnut! I think the pockets on the side are one it's major plus points, being able to access things without having to take the pack off. I've never had them catch on anything, either. Only had it from August this year, so can't comment on long-term durability, but so far no rips! It's light and even when full it doesn't feel heavy on my back. A bit expensive though.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I got a Nalgene bladder in a Dakine pack that I bought. It has a "clever" quick release coupling on the hose which, because of the design, is always put under stress when sliding the full bladder into the bag. Consequently it is forever pissing water down the small of my back, resulting in me finishing many a ride wet and thirsty. Avoid.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've got a new mule, it's great. £50 in lillywhites

chakaping
    Free Member

See if Merlin still have the Lezyne POwer Pack for £30.

Mine seems very well made, looks like it will last well.

Frizzer
    Free Member

I use a Kriega and really can't fault it at all. The 3L bladder is easy to clean and the bag itself seems pretty bombproof. I've stacked it plenty of times and dragged it through mud and it still looks almost as good as new. I also bought the additional pack that attaches to the back of it for additional load carrying duties.

Kriega Hydro 3

br
    Free Member

I've a Mule, had for 4 years no issues.

My riding buddy has a Wingnut, loves it.

Potdog
    Free Member

Not seen the wingnut before, it does look interesting in the pictures, does the pack sit quite low on the back with that "harness" system?

Potdog
    Free Member

OK, so google was my friend and I have now seen a wingnut "in use".

woodsman
    Free Member

I must say I'm leaning towards a Wingnut, the two people I know that use them, love em! They do look a bit flimsy in the flesh though so to speak, which is a concern.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Another wingnut aficionado here,I've got a hyper 2.5 and an enduro.One of those things you don't really get till you try and then can't understand why they're not all like that!I've done 10 hour and 100k enduros with mine and not had back issues.The sail cloth material they are made of is a lot tougher than it feels,the cargo netting gets frayed a bit but my hyper is 2+ years old and doing fine.Tip-Because there are no internal pockets I use a small fold out 1st aid kit bag to store tools etc inside.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The new Osprey bags look very good indeed. If the build quality is up with their normal bags, would be money well spent IMO.

StuE
    Free Member

Another vote for the wingnut, best bit is being able to get at stuff without having to take it off

jedi

dakine hydration always

woodsman
    Free Member

Why Dakine – style or function? 🙂

Oh, that's a bit of a negative – no tool pockets for the Wingnut.

back to the drawing board hmm

jedi

function/style and cool warranty if the packs have issues

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

dakine make nice packs i love the nomad http://www.dakine.com/sport-packs/bike/nomad/ place for your tools you clothes your jacket and your lid. couldnt ask for more and the colour choice is amazing.
    joe x

Potdog
    Free Member

Bought one of the bargain 2008 Lezyne power packs from Merlin. Got to say I'm disappointed.

First, the little compartments for tube, levers etc all seem to be way too small to fit the aforementioned items into them…a roadie model maybe??

2nd, the bladder had a tiny nick in it which wasn't apparent until the bag was stuffed with gear. It then gradually emptied itself into the pack whilst in the back of the van….voilà…knackered phone!

Sending bladder back for replacement, bag now looks very 2nd hand due to dust and muck sticking to the wet pack so not much hope of returning that bit of it.

Ah well, back to the old Dakine pack that has served so well.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a hydro-pack, tough and 3 litres please’ is closed to new replies.