Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend a helmet for a 9 year old girl
  • IainAhh
    Free Member

Looking for a new lid for my 9 year old daughter after her quite new one cracked right across the back following a fall. It was a woman’s small MET.

Now that we are doing some more trail type mountain biking could anyone recommend what to go for. Not too keen on a full face although I have seen quite a few out and about recently. She doesn’t like being hot so something with decent venting.

scrambledeg
    Free Member

Bell do some good cycle / skate helmets for kids, they have fairly decent all round the head protection and come with extra foam inserts for size adjustment. Also as an added bonus they have some fairly cool designs and they wont break the bank.

My lad has had his best part of 3 years now and I would buy one again without hesitation.

iainc

Our 8 yr old grew out of his small Met last month and we got him a nice Spesh kids one. Fits a treat and was about £30. As with adults, try them on and go for best fit.

robland
    Free Member

My daughter has a giro skyline which is well ventilated and quite light to.

theotherjonv

My two have Giro Flurrys (flurries??). 2013 models available on line for good prices.

takisawa2

Size small Giro Hex fits my lad at 7.
    The Rocklock system works a treat for getting the fit nice.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I would just take them into a shop and find them one they like the look of that fits… (as long as it is not too expensive!).

br
    Free Member

I would just take them into a shop and find them one they like the look of that fits… (as long as it is not too expensive!).

This, except since she’s already broken one you ought to be 100% concentrating on fit and quality (light weight and good coverage).

nealy
    Free Member

Bell do some good cycle / skate helmets for kids, they have fairly decent all round the head protection and come with extra foam inserts for size adjustment. Also as an added bonus they have some fairly cool designs and they wont break the bank.

My lad has had his best part of 3 years now and I would buy one again without hesitation.

Yep these, Bell Fraction for smaller kids and Bell Faction for bigger kids. There are 3 different thickness of pads for both front and back of the lid so you can easily get them to fit very snug which seems better than the normal rear ratchet IME. Also they look cool as but unfortunately you look like you’re on day release if you try and wear one as an adult.

TiRed

MET Crackerjack. Excellent fit to small heads (including small adults). And a veritable bargain at the moment.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HEMECRJY/met-crackerjack-youth-helmet

gonzy
    Free Member

my son has a Bell and loves it.
    also if you buy a kids Bell or Giro helmet i’m pretty sure you can take part in their “Grow with Bell/Giro” scheme where the helmet can be traded in for a larger size at a discounted price.
    when i checked last year the conditions were that the helmet had to be purchased from an authorised dealer…but Halfords are not included in the scheme for some reason

IainAhh
    Free Member

Thanks a lot I will have a look for the suggestions.
    (I forgot to say in op that the last one was tried on and bought in a shop so the fit was ok).

Tired – the MET Crackerjack is indeed good, my younger daughter has one of them.

Big-M
    Free Member

get down to the LBS and try a few on. My 9 year old has a small Giro Feature in hi-viz yellow so I can spot him in the woods…

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Just checked, and my lad chose a Specialized Flash youth lid:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a helmet for a 9 year old girl’ is closed to new replies.