Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend a good womens long-sleeved jersey for my MTB'ing other half
  • tallmart10

Mrs TallMart10 has recently got into mtb-ing and for her birthday I want to get her a long-sleeved jersey.

I don’t want a thermal jersey, just something to wear under her soft shell in winter, with a baselayer in Spring/Autumn or on its own on cooler Summer days.

It must be hardwearing like my Endura Hummvee L/S jersey – Endura only make a short sleeved version for women. We cycle through woodland quite a lot around here so it should be bramble rip-resistant if possible.

Any recommendations folks? Or do you lady riders use the male Endura Hummvee – if so what size should a normal size 12 with an .. ahem larger chest .. go for?

Thanks in advance!

tallmart10

That is not bad, acidChunks, but would prefer a full long-sleeved, with a zipped collar if possible. The best I have found is a Madison Flo but it only comes in black – I’d prefer something a bit brighter for those dark road rides home.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Madison-Flo-Womens-Long-Sleeve-Cycling-Jersey_68779.htm?sku=208410&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CImGyvuO0MUCFYrKtAodWFQArg#

ks562
    Free Member

Check out the Flare jerseys
    http://flareclothingco.com/collections/jerseys

I have three, one lasted for over a year, other two from last Autumn. Lots of crashes on the sleeves (I have the scars and bruises) but the top survived them all. Very impressed. Size wise I’d go for a medium or large depending on how larger chest (I’m between a 10 and 12 and opted for the small but then I can’t boast to having a larger chest sadly 😕 ) there are a couple reduced to £20 in the sale and the new collection ones are around £45.

Other “niche” brand option is to have a look at Findra http://findra.co.uk/

Edit, just seen you would like a zip collar, these ones don’t sadly. I’ve only ever found short sleeved female ones with zips down the front

jwh
    Free Member

You can get flare stuff here
    http://www.traildivas.co.uk/

tallmart10

Thanks for the good suggestions. Some of those Flare jerseys are very bright 🙂

I wonder if any women riders have experience of the mens hummvee long sleeve?

ahsat

It depends on what shape your OH is (without sounding rude). I have curves (and muscles!) and therefore find the cut of mens jerseys all wrong. By the sounds of me, she is similar shape 12, with a chest to content with – in which case, I’d find womens kit for her!

In my jersey store at the moment I have:

Mavic Meadow – very comfortable, well fitted but maybe a little thin for what you mention. I have a couple I use all year round and great in rucksacks, under a long sleeve thicker jersey or warmer days.

I have several tops that dont have zips: Endura, Fox, Loeka. The Loeka is very freeride fit – great on warm gnar days but a bit baggy. The Endura one (I dont know which one it is as was given it as a present) is very comfortable.

I have become a massive Gore Bike Wear fan girl of late though. I am slowly (!) replacing a lot of worn out stuff with it – I have the Alp X short sleeve top and long sleeve thermo. I’d see if they do one in the sort of weight you are interested in – doubt you’ll go wrong. Evans had loads on offer. Note, on thier website, some stuff comes in slim fit, some in more relaxed! Buying womens kit is a bit of a minefield…..! I have bought a lot of large (40) stuff of thiers in slim fit (the Alp X and Power ranges) – they then are slim round my stomach, but allow for the chest!

I have used this as a good excuse to go back to the Gore website and make you a combo table Gore goodness!

colin27
    Free Member

I’d recommend Ground Effect. I have some of their tops, as well as my wife, and they are brilliant.

Have a look at the TipTop and remember to put the currency in sterling to see how much it actually is!

zero-cool
    Free Member

The Mrs likes TLD jerseys, but it can take a bit of hunting to find one that is in a subdued, nice colour way as a lot of their stuff is pretty garish.

Try online Moto stores. Also Fox do some decent jerseys as well.

gren
    Free Member

I have the Alp X short sleeve top and long sleeve thermo

My missus has those exact 2 jerseys and loves them along with her other Gore stuff. Lasts forever and never seems to show any wear.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Morvelo ones were on sale at wiggle the other week

cinnamon_girl

I prefer tops from outdoor manufacturers such as Berghaus, fabric tends to be nicer than the horrible synthetic cycling jerseys.

http://www.berghaus.com/womens-long-sleeve-zip-neck-technical-t-shirt/421247.html

No way would I wear ghastly Flare clothing with its name plastered in large letters like a walking billboard. 😐

For me the fabric is key.

tallmart10

That is funny cinnamon_girl – I nearly bought one of those in GoOutdoors on Monday, but wondered if it was more of a baselayer. Is it warm enough to wear on its own?

cinnamon_girl

tallmart – yes but I always wear a gilet on top. I wear them all year round, sometimes with arm warmers underneath, or wear a short sleeved one over the long sleeved one. Fabric is really good at wicking.

ahsat

My issue with stuff like that is at 5’9″ the backs aren’t long enough on the bike.

fatmax

Torm.cc are doing ladies stuff now

shandcycles
    Free Member
    julzm
    Free Member

Sizing is a problem with men’s stuff I find. I’m a size 8-10 but not flat chested (5’8″), flare stuff I need a medium, same with fox ladies stuff. All men’s stuff I take a small but the arms are always massively too long and shoulders are half way down the tops of my arms.

Recommendation wise:
    Flare – great colours and fit, hard wearing, but watch sizing and not cheap (worth it though)
    POC – flow Jersey, decent but expensive, bit in the heavy side for summer rides
    Mavic and Madison stuff is all excellent, especially the ladies fit stuff, again watch the sizing as I usually need to go one size up with theirs. On the plus side their men’s stuff in small is a good fit for me.

We definitely need more choice for looser fitting ladies MTB clothing, if anyone is looking for a gap in the market. Most of the mainstream stuff (TLD, FOX, etc) is just too twee imho.

tallmart10

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. It is amazing to me that Endura or Altura do not seem to cater for women mtb-ers in the uk.

My wife an I tend to ride in the evening when it is a bit cooler and yet there are as the previous poster mentioned very few options in the long-sleeve loose fit cycling jersey market for women.

Also I am afraid the Gore stuff is just too expensive – I know that most people think it is top-notch quality, but Mrs TallMart10’s bike needs that kind of money lavished on it before spending that on a jersey 🙂

I am still leaning towards the Madison Flo at the moment, apart from the colour it seems to be mostly what she needs. But keep the suggestions coming, it is all useful 🙂

jwh
    Free Member

Noticed there a discount at the moment on http://www.traildivas.co.uk/ for 15%

tallmart10

Just to close this thread, I ended up buying a Madison Flo for a shade under £30. For the money, it is excellent – and a good fit. I took your advice, julzm, and went a size up which proved spot on.

My GLW is very pleased, as is my bank manager.

Thanks all.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

how about some of the Bontrager stuff at JEjames Cycles?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That TopTip one looks nice as does the Madison!! Man do I really need MORE MTB kit 😉 surprinsgly only charge £3 P&P from NZ only concern is if it doesn’t fit! Not easy to send it back!

I’m with cinammon girl on the Flare stuff it’s too OTT and naff but us women we are so hard to please when it comes to kit!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Doh I’ve only just seen this was posted a week ago! What’s the Madison Flo like ?as I fancy one now..what size did you get? to give me an idea thanks 😉

wallop

I have just bought a couple of these:

Absolutely cracking. Doesn’t really fit your brief, OP, but the cut is great and it has a snazzy pocket on the side so I can go out riding without taking a pack.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wallop where did you get those from? They look nice!

wallop

Wiggle. Really, really nice! I bought a Morvelo one at the same time and the cut is crap – the neck is too small in comparison to the body so it’s really unflattering.

tallmart10

I bought a 14 for my wife. She is normally a size 12 on top, 14 below, but I followed julzm’s advice on Madison kit, and went a size up which proved good advice.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a good womens long-sleeved jersey for my MTB'ing other half’ is closed to new replies.