Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend a good felling axe.
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I need one to fell some of the smaller trees in the garden. I know there are a few on here that cut and store their own wood, anyone able to recommend one please?

trail_rat
    Free Member

One with a rotating chain on the end 🙂

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I have one of those already but somedays I need to travel light.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bow saw. Thicker than that would cope with then a chainsaw.
    Ex WD axes are great

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As others have said, you need a bowsaw: one with coarse teeth for fresh wood. And if you want the stumps out, make the cut high enough to get some leverage with the remaining trunk. And then a mattock is your friend.

mucker

Do not get a bowsaw they’re rubbish for felling, get a straight edged pruning saw. Like this.
    Gomtaro

timber

What mucker said – get a Silky saw, they are sharper than chainsaws, curved blades make for easy work.

CountZero

If they’re small trees, then a small-ish hand axe, or camp axe would be more than adequate, but you need space to swing it, just like you would a cat.
    A saw, as others have suggested, would probably be better, but a small sharp axe might be handy for splitting the cut logs/branches for burning or whatever.
    Gransförs Bruks are the usual ones suggested, they’re excellent hand-forged tools, but there are others.
    You could even check out boot sales/tool sales, find an old axe head, clean it up and sharpen it, then carve a new haft for it from some of the wood you’ve sawn already.
    There’s a lot of satisfaction to be had from doing that; I’ve got two, one I bought an axe head from eBay, and made a new haft for it, the other was a head with a rotten haft I found in the shed, modified it for carving, and bought a nice haft and fitted it. Both are now very sharp tools, and I have the satisfaction of having put both together myself.
    Hultafors axes are well priced, they should have something that would suit:
    http://www.casstrom.co.uk/Axes/Hultafors-Agdor-Range

bodgy
    Free Member

What mucker said. 100% Straight blade.

In addition, bear in mind that they are VERY sharp, so you need to ensure that you are never cutting towards yourself in close proximity. Much, much damage very quickly.

Also, not the right tool for doing low level work, whereby the blade might get dirty and blunt quickly. Get an £8 use and chuck saw from the builder’s yard for that stuff.

Failing that, get a bowsaw. Bahco are the make to go for. Remember to unwind the tension on the bow after use.

Ginger
    Free Member

Slight thread detour – anyone recommend an axe for chopping fire wood?
    Thanks!

matt_outandabout

Splitting small rounds? A hatchet…

I have a Husqvarna hatchet that is ace.

burko73

Splitting logs, I’ve split a lot of logs with a number of these:

Bahco Maul Hickory Handle MCP 2.5-810 3.2kg – not too heavy for a maul but precise and able to get a good fast swing and not too tiring.

Only thing I’ve found better (that’s not powered by hydraulics) is the fiskars x27 (or x 25 depending on what/ how much you’re splitting)

OP – i can’t imagine if you’ve got a chainsaw knocking about there’s any need to buy any type of new handsaw to chop a few trees down. Even a big unsuitable saw will be way quicker and easier than buggering about with an axe to fell a few garden trees.

Ginger
    Free Member

Thanks. Really only smaller chunks of woods. Husqvarna had come up on searching so interesting to hear a recommendation. Will check out the others too.
    Cheers!

chrisdw
    Free Member

This is what you seek!

Saw

I’ve seen vintage ones on eBay that Just need a sharpen with a file.

A video for inspiration…

[video]https://youtu.be/Y1xykGoOEzA[/video]

spooky_b329

I need one to fell some of the smaller trees in the garden

I have one of those already but somedays I need to travel light.

Must be a big garden if travelling light is a concern! Hope you are managing your wood supply responsibly, i.e. planting and tending the new trees?!

😉

bodgy
    Free Member

Splitting axe – I’m a big fan of the Stihl splitting axe, about 60cm long. The Stihl logging maul is great for big chunks, but overkill for most jobs.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I shall take a look at the suggestions.

“Must be a big garden if travelling light is a concern”[/I]

I live in France where it is not uncommon to have packets of land attached to your main property that might not be adjoining, or as in my case, might be a short stroll away. I want to fell some of the smaller trees so that I can get easier access to the river frontage. As I said, sometimes it would just be nice to cut a few down whilst out walking the dog rather than take a chainsaw etc

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a good felling axe.’ is closed to new replies.