Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend a first race to a newbie!
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

So, I’ve been riding bikes for many years, but I’ve never taken the opportunity to race and I’d like to give it a shot for what it’s worth.

I thought about competing in some enduros, but I’d rather do something which is a little more all-round, as I’d probably regard climbing as a relative strength of mine. However, I’d like to avoid full-on lycra-clad XC racing, instead opting for something a little more fun and technical. In essence, I’m looking for a race that resembles your everyday trail riding.

Happy to ride distances of 20-50km.

I live in the London area, so would prefer events within 3-4 hours’ drive max, i.e. not Scotland, but would happily stretch it as far as Wales or the Peak District.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Well, you’ll get the full on lycra types but also plenty more in it for the fun, many with baggies, if you did some of the Gorrick stuff. Roughly around Farnborough / Aldershot / Swinley sort of area usually. Venues vary.

They do different kinds of races, but depends where they are as to what you get. Some seem to feature a fair bit of riding round a field for a bit (Minley) which is not my thing at all, others are the kind of every day trails I ride in that area and can have some technical bits, e.g. around Tunnel Hill.

Though it’s not going to be like technical “gnar” trail stuff around Surrey Hills (my regular haunt). Gorrick is really XC stuff, but XC varies a lot in definition.

Maybe Enduro stuff is what you want to look at. Though smacks of weekend warrior racing for wannabe downhillers on trail / AM bikes.

(p.s. don’t confuse Gorrick ‘Enduro’ races with Enduro, as I did. Turns out Gorrick Enduro means XC Endurance. Different thing entirely).

Also should add I’ve never done any racing and likewise thinking of giving it a shot. I keep thinking of a Gorrick and entering the less serious categories. Just to get a feel. I’ve done some of the courses post race and some are quite good.

Then maybe move on to an Enduro. Problem with these is they are mostly further away and seem to involve camping or rocking up in a scruffy campervan, and I only do nice hotels or B&Bs and a good pub nearby 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

Live in London? What aboutBeastway? A lot of people find it a nice introduction to the world of MTB racing. Admittedly there is a lot of lycra(at least there used to be when I was last there) but the atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly.

johnnystorm

Scott MTB marathon series?

Not a race obviously but naturally you’ll be checking your time against others…..

I was really impressed with the facilities and general organisation at the Rhayader round, although the route itself was dull consisting almost entirely of fireroad and tarmac. Hopefully later rounds will avoid commercial forests…

welshfarmer

How are your map reading skills? If half way decent then maybe you would enjoy MTB Orienteering. Absolutely flat out XC riding on all terrain and roads for 3-3.5 hours whilst trying to work out the quickest/least knackering way around as many checkpoints as possible. Depending on terrain I generally reckon on 30-40 miles per event. For me, the very act of having to constantly think about the route and make on the fly reappraisals of the best options, time remaining, tactics, etc, means I tend not to notice the pain I am going through. Far more interesting in my mind than following a set route.

Check out the BMBO website and see if there is anything close enough that takes your fancy..

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/

kilo

+1 for Gorrick, always a wide variety of racing ability. Summer Monkey is on 14/6

theotherjonv

I’d say try a Summer Monkey. Longer races so you get more for your money compared to short course XC, but still on some nice riding areas with some sweet semi-technical singletrack.

m0rk
    Free Member

QECP Summer Enduro

Up’s in the Down stages normally.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve just dipped my toe into racing this last year and I’ve just entered whatever is closest. Enduro/DH/XC Endurance.

Since it’s local it very closely resembles the trails (or is on the trails) I ride in everyday riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Try some xc in the fun class.

If that doesn’t do it for you, have a go at an enduro or if too short do an MTB marathon.

TiRed

Gorrick Summer Monkey is a great race. Enter the Open category and see how you get on.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

How are your map reading skills? If half way decent then maybe you would enjoy MTB Orienteering.

Not sure if this interests you, but if so then there’s a Gorrick Trailtrax this Sunday at Tilford just south of Farnham, Surrey. As many checkpoints as you can get in 3 hours (or a 2 hour option if you prefer). Choose your own route. Start and finish in a pub. What’s not to like?

I reckon you’ll need to do nearly 35 miles to get all 20 checkpoints, although that depends how good your route planning is.

I’m setting the checkpoints for this one, so feel free to slag me off in person at the finish if you didn’t like it 🙂

Details here.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestions everyone – plenty to think about there.

I came across the ’Ard Rock Enduro today, which looks like it could be a good laugh. The 40 mile single timed lap looks like my cup of tea.

Anyone tried it?

njee20
    Free Member

Gorrick events are great, and a fantastic introduction. Worth noting though that their ‘enduro’ races are less technical than their XC races, which in turn are less technical than Southern XC races and British XC races. Ie the Lycra clad whippet type racing is more technical than the ‘have a go’ type marathon races, not less.

You may find a southern XC race more appealing although categories are smaller.

salttank
    Free Member

Gorrick races are great fun and I’m not a whippet,just a regular surrey hills /swinley 49 year old rider trying not to come last 21st/28 finishers last time
    Great routes ,some technical bits.Not too scary for a first timer – I’ve done 5 now in last 2 years
    Friendly events ,no crazy folk!

toppers3933
    Free Member

An hour or so drive to gatwick, plane to Geneva, couple hours drive to Alpe d’huez and hey presto, you’re at the mega. 😆 8) 😕

tpbiker
    Free Member

any ‘endurance’ events nearby? I’m thinking something like Glentress 7 or 10 under the ben, but a bit more local. Tend to attract all sorts, from my exp.

shortcut

So definitely try Gorrick races as per what Dead Kenny says.

The trails are excellent and just right for an intro in Fun, then you can move up to Masters or Vets etc. racing is tight at all levels.

I did my first gravity Enduro a few weeks ago and loved it. Welsh Enduro Series last event was at Betws y Coed and took in 3 times sections as part of the Marin Trail. all good harmless fun. I will be back for the next one in September.

Next races for me are BC Bike Race (7days stage race), Bontrager 24:12 as part of a team of 4, then Brighton Big Dog (6hr team of 3), Torq 12:12 team of four.

Lycra for xc, baggies for the rest. Spesh Camber Evo for everything!!

shortcut

Endurance events try Broghton Big Dog and Torq 12:12 for local ish.

rickon
    Free Member

I thought about competing in some enduros, but I’d rather do something which is a little more all-round, as I’d probably regard climbing as a relative strength of mine. However, I’d like to avoid full-on lycra-clad XC racing, instead opting for something a little more fun and technical. In essence, I’m looking for a race that resembles your everyday trail riding.

That’s Enduro racing. There’s a lot of variation, but it’s a bit like a cross between an XC race and a DH race. with more of a slant towards DH.

Maybe Enduro stuff is what you want to look at. Though smacks of weekend warrior racing for wannabe downhillers on trail / AM bikes.

Tell that to Clementz, Lau, Callaghan, Peaty, Dan Atherton etc.

Enduro has become incredibly competitive, you’ll struggle to find rubbish/ weekend warrior riders in the top half of an Enduro race.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a first race to a newbie!’ is closed to new replies.