Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend a Family Campsite Dumfries and Galloway
  • fubar
    Free Member

I’m looking to take the family for a few days camping in the Dumfries and Galloway area soon.

My wish list includes:

– Near sand beach (walking distance ideally)
    – Pub with reasonable food
    – Close to village (or small town) would be good

Any recommendations ?

towzer

FYI really. We stayed here – https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/Scotland/Scotland/Dumfries_and_Galloway/Rockcliffe/castle-point-caravan-site/ – and loved it, however I’m not sure I’d recommend it to you – as it’s a small site, limited facilities (beach with ice cream van – that’s it) you need to walk (through lovely wood, with lots of paths that functioned perfectly as bike tracks – can even link it to Dalbeattie tracks and from there is a cycle path all the way to Dalbeattie) to Kippford (pubs, small shell beaches, cafe), however the whole place/area and generally lovely unrushed tranquil feel.

What might be better for you is just along coast – http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=2924
    we did the walk from Rockcliffe to here(blazing sun, great views, even a sunbathing adder) and got the bus back, it was a bigger site, massive beach and apparently a nearby pub. Can’t recommend as haven’t used either site or pub.

Steamboat pub at Carsethorn also appears worth a visit.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We used to stay here… http://www.sandsofluceholidaypark.co.uk/
    years ago when It was just a smallish field. It looks massive now. The beach is huge & there’s loads to see on the Rhinns of Galloway.

TomB

Brig house bay, kirkkudbright, meets your criteria pretty well. Sheltered sandy beach adjacent to site, good family facilities incl indoor pool for wet days, near kirkkudbright, a nice town. Not sure about pub, but has own bar/bowling/games room thing that does food (probably not great).

matt_outandabout

Bighousebay +1

Gary_M
    Free Member

Either of the above plus Coastal Kippford, which used to be called Kippford holiday park.

10 minutes walk to Kippford on the road, or a nice long, or short, walk through the woods that can take as long as you like as you can go via Rockcliffe. Sandy beach at Rockcliffe which is walking distance, Kippford has the anchor and the mariner for food and drink, the anchor is great for sitting outside on a sunny days. Cafe across the road from the site at the golf course, 40 second ride to Dalbeattie 7 stanes and obviously forest walks.

3 miles from dalbeatiie but castle douglas only 10 minutes away in the car.

I have a caravan there on a seasonal pitch and we love it.

Play park for the kids.

Sandhills is a lovely site but there isn’t a village with facilities in walking distance, well you could go over the clifftop walk to rockcliffe which is a lovely walk but no facilities there.

And yes the steamboat inn is nice too.

somafunk

Rik (of Drumlanrig) is building a pretty sweet pump track and bike trail at Brighouse at the moment, the food at the bar /restaurant could be described as adequate, plenty of decent wee cafes and suchlike in Kirkcudbright though.

These pics were taken back on 2nd June so i imagine it’s near enough finished by now

mucker

Yeah Brighouse Bay does that however it’s like a huge housing estate with all that brings.
    If you want something a lot quieter and can put up with a few miles walk or driving to pub, restaurants etc I would highly recommend Solway View it has large uncrowded pitches each with its own firepit, and a short walk through the coastal wood takes you to a beautiful secluded quiet sandy beach, we were there a couple of weeks ago and loved it.
    Solway View

towzer

Completely irrelevant and unrelated but I found this quite interesting and somewhat unexpected on a previous tour of the area:

http://www.garlieston.net/?page_id=3

Gary_M
    Free Member

We’ve stayed at the wigwams at solway view, we had a great weekend, I’d stay there again but a bit of a trek to the pub.

fubar
    Free Member

Thanks people, I’ll check those out tonight. Ideally I’d like not to drive once I’m up there, family should be fine with walking a mile or two for food and drink !

Gary_M
    Free Member

That was one of our reasons for choosing the site near kippford, we usually park the car on Friday and don’t use it again until we’re driving home. It’s got everything we need for a few days withing walking distance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a Family Campsite Dumfries and Galloway’ is closed to new replies.