Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • recommend a decent, well priced petrol lawnmower
  • DrP

My mower is ‘ok’ – it’s a (I think) B+D petrol thingly – briggs and stratton motor, rotary.
    However, it’s pretty cheap, and the carb and throttle are on their way out.
    It’s not worth servicing.

I’ve had a peek about at online reviews – this seems to get good reviews, but it’s not a brand i’ve heard of.

Obvs, I should get a Hyater, but not keen on dropping £700 on a mower!

I’d like one with a side exit as sometimes i cut the public grass in front of my house, and I’m not collecting that all up!

Not fussed about powered drive.
    Keen on a striper…

Sugegstions??

DrP

redstripe
    Free Member

Honda for reliability

Rockape63
    Free Member

Lidl are doing one at the mo for £139….seems pretty decent.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Check toolstation and screwfix – both have good deals on at the moment.

br
    Free Member

It’s not worth servicing.

We’ve a Honda, it’s about 15 years old and starts first time (except after the winter layoff, when nearer 5 goes). It’s serviced every other year, with petrol engines (and loads of dust etc) this IMO is key to why it still works fine.

DrP

the lidl one looks fine, but i’m just thinking I could get a better one for a hundred or so more. I don’t want to drop into false economy and get a cheap one that doesn’t do what I want, TBH.

BR – my one cost me about £70 second hand. I’ve bodged the regularot spring as that broke.
    It’s a bot of a faff – changing grass cutting height is done by unscreiwing/screwing each wheel. Also it only emptied into the box, not out the side etc. It doesn’t stripe either!

Drp

johndoh
    Free Member

Not fussed about powered drive.
    Keen on a striper…

Surely it would need to be powered if it has a roller otherwise it would be a bitch to push?

DrP

(Puts the above comment in DrP’s “book of obvious things I’ve learnt today”)

Erm, cough, (manly voice), yeah, that’s what I meant. That thing wot ‘e said.

DrP

IHN

What about cordless ‘leccy, rather than petrol?

br
    Free Member

BR – my one cost me about £70 second hand. I’ve bodged the regularot spring as that broke.
    It’s a bot of a faff – changing grass cutting height is done by unscreiwing/screwing each wheel. Also it only emptied into the box, not out the side etc. It doesn’t stripe either![/I]

Ok, but cost to buy and cost to run are two totally different things and really not related – ie petrol costs the same in a £5k mower as a £70 mower, and so does servicing. Just making the point that while we’ve an expensive Honda it’s also looked after, otherwise it’d be scrap a long while ago.

Ours is a rotory too, doesn’t stripe but my garden has no straight lines (and a 20ft fall) so not a priority.

Giallograle

Had a Honda for a few years. Enough power and reliable. Looks just like that Frisky Fox too…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘recommend a decent, well priced petrol lawnmower’ is closed to new replies.