Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • recommend a *cough* roadie holiday
  • flatfish
    Free Member

my father-in-law still ride's at the ripe old age of 75 but only road nowadays, my mother-in-law has tasked me with sourcing a week long-ish roadie guided holiday.
    saddle skedadle have a trip to japan which we all reckon he'd enjoy enormously, both riding and the culture, but it's going to cost around £3,000 for the trip, flights, bike hire, etc.

can anybody recommend something a bit cheaper but similar in style holiday.

p.s. his sister-in-law is indian and he hates her so anywhere remotely indian is out.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Not quite so grand, but Mallorca has a lot to offer. Great roads, flat or proper mountainous rides, wonderful food and restaurants and some superb hotels – oh and nice people too! Plus, you can get something for a fraction of the cost of your alternative, and it's only a couple of hours flight away. They're very geared up for cyclists – some very good hire shops, and if you want to take your own, they even have a special carousel in Arrivals for bike bags!

aP
    Free Member

Wine trip along the Loire? Alternatively the Natchez Trace Parkway could be good, staying in rather nice B+Bs starting in Nashville and finishing on the Mississippi.
    Does he do hills?

flatfish
    Free Member

Does he do hills?

he did the lejog just a couple of years ago so i'm guessing yes

edhornby

http://www.veloventoux.com/index.htm

never done it myself but if someone asked me this is the big one for me, if he's into road bike racing and the age he is he may well know the Tommy Simpson story?

flatfish
    Free Member

Mont Ventoux!!! i'm not trying to kill him, the wife wouldn't speak to me again if i did.

i'm looking for something that covers around 50/60 miles a day for a week with some culture /geology to excite him a bit after his daily ride.

sofatester
    Free Member

Taking a 75 year old up the Ventoux might be a bit much Ed!

Still put the idea out there and see what he says, would be an amazing trip away. The riding in and around Avignon is almost perfect if you like rolling countryside, broken up by picture perfect French villages for cafe/lunch stops. Plus all the obvious perks of cracking food, wine and hotels which go hand in hand with the area 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

You know I saw this thread title and couldn't wait to make some smart arse derisory remark like 'how about a week at the priory. They help people with all sorts of mental problems.' but having read the post about a guy still turning his pedals at 75 I just want to shake the man's hand in admiration and hope to god I can still have that kind of discipline and ability when I'm that age.

njee20
    Free Member

If you fancy anything by Exodus I have £500 of vouchers to use, which could make it somewhat cheaper!

edhornby

ok 🙂 The Loire is a good idea as aP said, there are vineyards and also a lot of chateaux (chenonceux etc) and great towns. friendly people too

Philby

Had a fabulous holiday with Explore to Jordan a year ago – 8 days starting in the north-west corner overlooking the Sea of Galilee and Syria, down to the Red Sea via some fabulous roads, amazing scenery and some great sites and experiences (camping in the desert, floating in the Dead Sea, and most amazing of all was Petra). There were a couple of longish days in the saddle but the main issue was the heat. There were a couple of retired guys who did it. Highly recommended.

mingsta
    Free Member

I can heartily recommend http://www.gastrobiking.com

Fantastic, varied riding in the Vercors region. Its run by Phil and Sophie, great banter, laid back atmosphere and just the right mix of riding and chilling.

Phil know's the region like the back of his hand and can put together rides to suite your mood.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘recommend a *cough* roadie holiday’ is closed to new replies.