Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Recommend a bimbo-proof power drill please
  • cinnamon_girl

Once again I bow to the infinite knowledge of the STW Massiv!

Recommendations for either a corded/cordless power drill for general DIY duties, thinking of Bosch/Black & Decker.

Obviously it has to be girlie-friendly and not damage the nail varnish!

Thank you so much!

(Awaits amusing replies).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Just get a man in to do it, love, and don’t worry your pretty little head…

Stoner
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

That’s enough from you Fred! I can’t ride at the moment so have other (deadly dull) duties to attend to. How are you?

Stoner – can’t afford that! I do have an expensive bike habit you know.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Per Stoner but go to B&Q – currently on offer for £79 which is a hell of a deal for that quality of kit**

B&D power tools are p1sh – avoid

Loads of torque tho so might not be Bimbo proof :mrgreen:

Stoner
    Free Member

this is a great drill/driver but it doesnt have hammer action. £50
    Its made by makita for Screwfix house brand. I have one and it’s been faultless. Comes with two batts too which is useful.
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83288/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Site-SMB600-14-4V-Drill-Driver

If you need hammer drill, then you can get a bargin basement corded one for those times you need it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what’s your budget cg?

sheldona
    Free Member

Anygood?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you wanna drill brick, forget cordless. Even a cheap electric will be far better

Bimbo proof? That’s nothing to do with the drill, it’s’s knowing how to use it that matters.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

CG- For general DIY duties in the house, I’d go for a corded drill. Cordless ones are little more than electric screwdrivers, unless you spend loads, and forget trying to drill into a wall or anything hard with one. Any heavy work just canes the battery. They are ok for quick, light jobs, but budget ones really won’t be up to much. GrizzlyGus is probbly a good person to talk to on this matter.

Get yerself down B+Q, and try a few for size. I have little girly hands, and some models are too bulky for me. Bearing in mind that anything powerful enough to drill into masonry is going to be quite heavy.

I’d say look to spend about £60-80ish, although you might find a bargain. And most well-known brands should be ok. I’ve used Bosch stuff for ages, without trouble. My hammer drill is a Skil, but it’s a bit of a beast.

And don’t whatever you do, lend it to ANYONE, or you will never see it again….

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Bosch do some sweet Lithium battery lightweight jobs – good as Drivers but not serious drills

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Get PP to go to B+Q with you, to advise you! I’m sure he wouldn’t mind!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well someone has to post it, disgraceful as it is!

Not entirely sure how a drill can be bimbo proof, you can either use a drill or you cant?

CG- For general DIY duties in the house, I’d go for a corded drill. Cordless ones are little more than electric screwdrivers, unless you spend loads, and forget trying to drill into a wall or anything hard with one

Depends what you call loads, the makita mentioned above is an amazing drill, as powerful as most of the corded drills I’ve used, it’ll rip yer arm off if you’re not expecting the bit to grab!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for your replies. Was looking at spending around £60, not worried about hammer action.

My main concern is the weight of it, cue limp-wristed comments! Is there really any difference performance-wise between corded and cordless?

Really sheldon! Could I be trusted with that??

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

This is a really good deal from Screwfix HERE. IMHO Makita or Hitachi are the two best makes for both capability and build quality. Bought a new Makita drill from Screwfix 2 weeks ago – arrived in 24 hours.

If you’re not worried about hammer action then you are not going to be drilling brick etc so cordless is def the way to go.

Stoner
    Free Member

LiIon is the lightest battery technology for girlie wrists but its usually expensive.
    The cheapest drill/driver on screwfix with LiIon is an Erbauer for £54 and weighing 1.5Kg compared to 2.0Kg for the one I listed above. Erbauer arent bad bu tthey used to be better.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99585/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Erbauer-ERH005DDH-14-4V-Li-Ion-Drill-Driver

Trekster

Argos, Homebase, Aldi…proper corded drills cheap and with 3yrs free warranty so if it goes pop then take it back.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/buypowerdrills.htm …local stores may have spot/special offers.

Something more robust as above but for occasional use Argos etc is ok imo

btw..get a wall scanner, not only bimbo but manproofs drilling through cables and pipes as has been done by some on here!!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

CG, what do you want to use it for?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is there really any difference performance-wise between corded and cordless?

Yep, massive difference.
    Unless you blow about £200+ on cordless, a corded drill will wipe the floor with it
    Think of the difference between a milk float and a normal car….

You can come and try mine if you like, I’ve got nice Bosch corded and cordless drills, and I need to put a shelf up!
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CG, what do you want to use it for?

Have a wild stab, Einstien!
    😉

conkerman
    Free Member

If you go corded, make sure that it has a torque limiter, to stop it jamming and damaging either yourself or anything near where you are drilling.

Ryobi make some reasonably priced, decent quality cordless drills.

Conks

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Have a wild stab, Einstien!

Duh! I meant does CG want it for drilling into walls, wood, metal, etc. Belm!

Carole Vorderman!

Cah, some people…

Trekster

google machine mart for ryobi

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, what Peter Poddy says…I use them every day…have a cordless for general wood drilling and screwing…but for drilling into brick/concrete, I’d have to spend three or four hundred squid for cordless equivalent!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Duh! I meant does CG want it for drilling into walls, wood, metal, etc. Belm!

I reckon she’s gonna drill some holes in that Litespeed to shed the excess weigh she adds with all that puncture proofing crap she puts in the tyres…..
    😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry CG, only kidding, I know you’re sensitive about the MLC machine….
    😀

cinnamon_girl

Coffeeking – love the poster but am totally useless in the kitchen!

OK, think a trip to B & Q is necessary to see if my girlie wrists can cope with a power tool. It’s only really for putting up curtain rails and exciting stuff like that. Might have to get a lodger/do B & B so proper curtains are needed in the room.

PP – that’s enough from you! Just leave my lovely Litespeed outta this, she has become an ornament of beauty. Not riding due to tennis elbow so may as well get things done whilst I can. After I have the cortizone injection shall need to be careful for a bit.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Makita corded from screwfix (about your price range) has a keyless chuck and a storage box.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Haven’t noticed whether any of the other posters are women. I am, so here’s my two penneth.

Get a corded mains hammer drill and a lightweight battery job with a fast charger – neither need be expensive.

I have a fairly beefy battery drill, it’s damned heavy so I hardly ever use it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CG, You could just stop slightly short on your way to B&Q and borrow my Bosch (which is a wonderfully powerful thing and makes drilling masonary rather easy), and the rest of the tools you’ll need: Drill bits, screwdrivers, plugs, spirit level, stepladder…..

spooky_b329

For curtain rails I’m assuming you will be drilling into at least breeze block…it’ll be a lot easier with at least a purcussion drill which is halfway to a proper hammer drill. Much easier on the wrists/arms as you are holding the drill for less time and don’t have to try and lean on it whilst balancing on a stepladder.

If you are putting up curtain rails, make sure you have a stash of screws and plugs as the screws supplied are often made of cheese, I had the heads twist off several and that was using a screwdriver.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you so much for all the replies – I knew that the STW Massiv would come to the rescue again!

I might need to ask a bike related question some time – bet I won’t get as many replies 😉

grizzlygus
    Free Member

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Coffeeking – love the poster but am totally useless in the kitchen!

That’s bolox! Member that food she did at the Mulled Wine weekender???? Delish!

crispybacon
    Free Member

CG all tooled up with one of each after taking the STW massive’s advice & a quick trip down to B&Q, now where’s that RudeBoy to practice on the naughty boy…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I second stoners Site recommendation, I bought one when the charger for my Makita combi drill failed, it was cheaper than just a new charger for the makita, it charges the batteris on it perfectly.
    I have found I now use the Site drill more often than the makita because of its smaller size & its ability to do most of the jobs the makita can.
    I doubt there is better for £50, but just remember to use a code for an extra 10% off!

Enjoy the DIY.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Just get Peter round to do it; he loves stuff like that. He’ll be as happy as a pig in sh1t.

And you can look at his arse, while he’s up the step ladder.

I’d rather bathe in me own poo, personally, but to each their own…

smokey_jo

I’m not sure she’s actually a bimbo, I won’t be convinced until I see pics!

and I know a bimbo when I see one.

marsdenman
    Free Member

apparently Chicks Dig DIY ……….

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think this is the link you meant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtcpDGWx0w

First thing that crossed my mind when I saw the title, so you’ve saved me searching for it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a bimbo-proof power drill please’ is closed to new replies.