Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend a bike for my GF….
  • alpin
    Free Member

Not really been keeping ahead of what’s out there of late.

Need a new bike having sold her 2012 Boardman.

The Boardman was good for what it was, but skittish at speed and didn’t offset much tyre clearance.

Want something that is more stable at speed and confidence inspiring.

Our local trails are the Bavarian Alps.

Something that is a good climber, although most climbs are more of a 1-2 hour slog rather than nice twisty single track sprints.

Upwards of 140mm bounce.

Is it worth looking at female specific bikes?

GF is 166cm and about 67kg when kitted up.

onewheelgood

Jeffsy 27?

matt_outandabout

Budget?

alpin
    Free Member

Budget around 2k…. Maybe a little more.

stevextc
    Free Member

Is it worth looking at female specific bikes?

GF is 166cm and about 67kg when kitted up.

Doubtful….

or it’s worth watching
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvsfMOWq1g

(To be fair only watched randomly and really didn’t expect quite such brutal honesty …. so fair play)

I know this is a specific 2 bikes from one manufacturer but its doubly worth watching the “first look” on the hail and how that changed when compared to the Reign…

Even though your GF isn’t an XS a acid test is anyone claiming a female specific bike in XS with 170mm cranks….

Really telling I think is the specific changes… higher BB (because woman have a lower COG… and the head angle… because …?? I think the because is it made the frame fit…???

I like the closing comments on the BB height… so even if a woman does have a lower COG (which obviously not all will) why then raise it – surely a lower COG is better???

Another acid test is I think choice of components… so if making a bike for people with smaller hands then M7000 is probably better than M8000 (as the rear mech spring is lower force and the mech shift is easier) etc.

I’ve only been looking at womens frames with regard to my boys first adult bike… (not for a few years just interested) …

oldeh
    Free Member

canyon spectral. do a women’s specific one too.

alpin
    Free Member

Think I agree with your sentiments, Steve…

Having said that, I have seriously considered the Spectral 7.0 Ex wmn, even more so as it is currently on offer. Already have a Strive, but having recently been dicked about by Canyon’s service team I’m reluctant to put any money their way.

Spoke to Bird earlier today. Like the look of the one45, but we need a new bike by this time next month and they are currently waiting on stock.

Same goes for YT.

It does kind of push me back in the direction of Canyon. 😐

This buying a bike lark ain’t so easy when it’s not for you…..

alpin
    Free Member

Cheers. Nice bike, but not really AM/Enduro/alps material…? 100mm up front.

stevextc
    Free Member

I just don’t see any advantages of a women specific for her height/weight…

I’m not really certain anyone really even makes changes that are actual advantages…at least as much as changing something so it can be called women specific for marketing reasons and is either neutral or possibly even negative…

To me it seems totally pointless to create/design a whole new frame in XS (especially full suss) and stick 170mm cranks on it… one is a huge undertaking to do properly… the other means limiting yourself to NX cranks … (as they are available from 155mm up) … OK I might not really want NX on a high end bike… but I’d rather that than have one I can’t ride.

This leads me to believe a manufacturer doing this haven’t really redesigned the frame … so much as the head angle and BB height is a consequence of a shorter frame…

I’ve been making investigations into suspension tuning for the kid and the short version is its not more expensive than a service… (at least asking TFT about SID’s) – so worst case this is something to do when you service the fork… at least at 67kg … which is only 3 less than me before adding kit..so perhaps 6-7kg total with a pack and water???

Canyon undoubtedly make some nice bikes… but given history I personally would be wary…I’d probably want to really want a specific bike before risking their customer service as there are a lot of other nice bikes…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a bike for my GF….’ is closed to new replies.