Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • recommend a bike for a 5’4″ lady
  • swoosh
    Free Member

slightly misleading title as what i want to know is if its worth getting a lady specific bike for her? She only wants to spend about £200! I’ve tried explaining the benefits of spending even a little bit more to get a budget of £300 but she wont have it.

or should i just get a decent blokes bike in 14″ in the sale?

If anyone has any recommendation in this price range of where to start looking that would be great.

Cheers
    S

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Second-hand. She’ll get a much nicer bike; it’ll be lighter, have better components, and ride a lot nicer.

£200 should get you something decent on here. I myself might have something small, in that sort of price range, but not for a bit, unfortunately.

She should be prepared to spend extra on helmet, lights, etc.

Stick up a wanted ad!

Bunnyhop

Mmmm a tough one.
    I remember spending £200 once on some disc brakes. there was a knock on the door and my neighbour wanting some information about starting to mtb. I asked her what her budget was, and found myself politely explaining that for that sort of money the bike probably wouldn’t last long on an old disused railway track, let alone go up a hill ( £100 ). I showed her the disc brakes and she decided to give it a miss.

Anyway, we all have to start somewhere, and I would get a second hand frame and if you could help out on parts to put a decent bike together.

We must do everything to encourage more women into mtbing.

That extra £100 would make all the differnce to her having a more comfortable ride ( a lighter bike), with componants that lasted longer.

I myself have an On One frame ( 14″ ) and call it the mountain goat.
    If you live near Stockport, she is welcome to try it out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got my wife (5ft 2in) an XS Giant XTC for £350 in Paul’s Cycles permanent sale.

One of those (or similar Spesh/Trek/GT) secondhand shouldn’t be more than £200.

Try to get one like my wife’s, that’s only been used a few times because she didn’t really get the bug and then got preggers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry, also meant to say I just bought the standard model and cut down the bars, fitted a shorter stem and a more girl-friendly saddle.

On your budget I’d just get the best deal and do the same, don’t hold out for something pink and flowery.

nickc

I got a small Kona on Ebay for my missus. Only way really if that’s the budget

swoosh
    Free Member

yeah, i had thought second hand. i have also seen a couple of interesting looking wsd ones on rutland water cycling ex hire bikes which have got some good discounts on. will probably stick up wanted ad when i know she is ready to get it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

does it have to be a mtb? I only ask as I’ll be building up the wife’s old Spesh Sirrus soon which will be fine for towpaths etc. and will probably come in around 250ish, depending on spec.

oldgit
    Free Member

Second the second hand route. This was a build of bin parts, cheap new stuff and second hand. Probably was sub £200.

swoosh
    Free Member

reggie, yeah was hoping for it to be mtb. just so long as it isnt a sit up and beg town and country style

swoosh
    Free Member

Oldgit, nice looking bike. especially for under £200. now i just wish i had a load of parts in the shed all i have is a frame thats way too big for her and a set of wheels that are probably too heavy.

matt_outandabout

£250 got my wife a Canondale F900SL, headshok just serviced, Hope Mini’s, XT, new pads, cassette and chain, great condition, XS (12″!) frame. She loves how fast and light it feels compared to anything else.

Second hand all the way.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Get her out to try a few bikes at different price points to demonstrate the benefits of spending that extra cash!!!

I bet she realises £100 will get so much more!

stumpy01

I think the Scott Contessas start at around £300 and so you might get some discount on them at the moment.

But, if you can be bothered to trawl…..you might pick up a great 2nd hand deal but will probably have to factor in cash for some woman specific bits (shorter stem and a womanly seat, at least.

Surfr
    Free Member

I went down the 2nd hand route and am 95% build-complete on a MY00 Trek 6500 WSD, Deore equipped, Mavic 521 Rims. It looks like new. Parts mostly purchased from retrobike forum. Total cost probably 130 quid.

swoosh
    Free Member

i was thinking about the secondhand route but talking to her last night i dont think she can wait for me to get all the parts and build it up, besides she wouldnt be able to test ride it either.

so after hunting around a bit i think i have got her interested in this:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/11540/Scott-Bikes-2008-Ex-Hire-Contessa-40-(Womens).html (link not working properly cos of the ()s so you’ll have to copy/paste, sorry

what do people think? to me the spec is pretty good for the price and she likes the colour/flowers on it. could be a winner

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘recommend a bike for a 5’4″ lady’ is closed to new replies.