Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me some: rigid forks
  • winterfold
    Free Member

(Inspired by johnellison’s thread)

A guy who gets one the same trains as me from time to time has one of these: http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_teamr.html

I have been thinking that when its icy or snowy I would be lot happier on that than on 23c slicks. And if it ever dries out then I could do the commute home XC.

The frame I am thinking of building is a Whyte 905 – anyone got any rigid fork recommends?

Lightweight preferred to strength, have a Bandit for trail riding, so not worried if a ‘shorter’ fork than spec effectively tightens up the head angle.

cheers

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Gussett chromoly forks are cheap and available in both 26er and 29er versions. Surly forks are quite a bit shorter if you want to steepen the steering.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Budget? I had some carbon White Brothers Rock Solid forks (until they got nicked) and they were ACE! So light, much more forgiving than rigid forks deserve to be and tracked well enough for me. I used to rocket uphill when I had those forks fitted to my XC hardtail. Sadly they weren’t that cheap when I bought them a few years ago and now they are silly money. £300 full retail I think.

winterfold
    Free Member

I was thinking more £100-150.

I see a decent choice of light carbon ones for £££ presumably for racing, and a good choice of cromoly gmarr dirt jump ones but not much in the middle.

Are carbonzone or similar ripping off anyone?

<quick check>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26er-rigid-MTB-fork-tapered-steerer-full-carbon-Mountain-fork-DISC-brake-/170965915725?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ce5cd84d

anyone used those? I need 1 1/8, those look tapered only?

alexpalacefan

Exotic Components do a 420 a/c carbon fork. Got one on my Scandal SS.

It’s ace!

APF

wwaswas

I fitted a pair of the Exotic Aluminium forks to my wife’s bike as she never rides off road and they look less bling locked up in town.

winterfold
    Free Member

that’s carboncycles.cc?

they look just the job

cheers

wwaswas

that’s the chaps – only took a day or two to arrive.

Cheezpleez

+1 for Exotics

HTTP404
    Free Member

Salsa Cromotos.

Mikkel
    Free Member
    Northwind

The Exotics/White Bros will do the job spot on. Not the lightest nor the stiffest but nicely bang in the middle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some: rigid forks’ is closed to new replies.