Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recomendations please – Best Lightweight Sleeping Mat
  • richen987
    Free Member

I went out and bivied last night as a test run to check everything, all was great bar my sleeping mat and it made for a very uncomfortable night.
    So whats the best and most comfortable yet lightweight sleeping mat that packs down well/small.

recommendations or offer me yours if you have one for sale.

scotroutes

Exped Synmat 7 UL or Thermarest Neoair Xlite.

d45yth
    Free Member

I have a Thermarest Neoair…packs down small and works well once you know how much air you need in it. Some folk say they make a bit of noise (crinkley) but I always use earplugs when camping anyway.

If I was buying again, I think I’d try an Exped one. The one I’d looked at can be blown up with the bag it comes in, that was fleece lined as well, so you turn it inside out and use it as a pillow.

Edit – Scotroutes beat me to it.

jamiep
    Free Member

Yes, Thermarest Neoair Xlite. Got mine for £85, price matched offer at Go Outdoors

doh
    Free Member

Exped ul 7 is very good for weight and pack size and amazingly comfortable but I would get some kind of inflator thing for it cos if you are inflating it by blowing into it it gets full of condensation (spit)

accu
    Free Member

+1
    thermarest neoair xlite together with the neoair pump bag..
    perfect for me…

matt_outandabout

Exped Synmat – for some reason I found it more comfy than a Neoair. Toasty warm as well

boblo
    Free Member

Corrrr twice as heavy tho…

AlasdairMc

I’d go for the Neo Air X Therm as you can use it in winter as well. Minimal weight difference too.

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm the Xlite is just fine for winter as well…

matt_outandabout

Errrm the Xlite is just fine for winter as well…

OP, what winter stuff do you plan? A night in a tent in the Highlands is very different to a night in Suffolk…

richen987
    Free Member

Hi thanks for all the replies, so between the synmat and the neoair by the looks of it.
    I generally plan to bivi in the spring summer and autumn, can’t imagine too many winter trips.
    So between the two I generally would prefer comfort over weight, won’t be doing more than a couple of nights at a time.

rudedog
    Free Member

For comfort I think the Expend Synmat is the one to go for. I did a bit of research before buying and the consensus was that it was the comfier mat. I think the reasons is due to the construction – the tubes go from top to bottom and the 2 outermost ones are larger diameter which means its harder to roll off.

ontor
    Free Member

prolite small.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Neoair xlite here, first use last night. Was fine. Wish I’d budgeted for midge protection too though 😉

Cheezpleez

I have a Neo air x-lite and am very happy with it. I’ve used it down to -2 or so and was toasty warm with a Lamina 20 bag. I’m sure it would be fine a few degrees colder, too. It’s very comfy and I don’t roll off the sides but I have slid down it a bit when on a slope.

richen987
    Free Member

Ok next slightly confusing question, at 5ft 11 will the regular sizes be ok or should I go for a long one ?

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Regular will be fine.

richen987
    Free Member

Ok next slightly confusing question, at 5ft 11 will the regular sizes be ok or should I go for the longer version ?

tonyd

I have a Thermarest Prolite 4S, they can still be had on eBay for decent prices (I’ve been watching out for another). The 4 is 4 season, S is short so about 3/4 length – put your feet on your pack if the ground is too cold. I suppose it might be the predecessor to the Neo Air?

Martin.B
    Free Member

I bivi with the Womens version of the Neoair Xlite…the advantages of this are

– Increased R rating (3.9) over the mens version @ 3.2(so Warmer)
    – 340 gramms lighter than mens equivalent
    – Thicker 6cm (more comfortable)
    – Womens size is between the Regular and Small (gives good coverage)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recomendations please – Best Lightweight Sleeping Mat’ is closed to new replies.