Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • recomend me some good commuting MTB tyres
  • richen987
    Free Member

I am going to start commutting to work in Feb and would like your thoughts on good commutting tyres,
    the commute will be 90%road and when dry 10%canal tow path.
    also is it better to have a wider tread for MTB i.e. 1.9in or go for a skinny tread for speed?
    cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

conti travel contact. puncture protection works, fast rolling, bit of knobble for the tow path
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20travel%20contact.shtml

Luminous
    Free Member

Purely for road, I like the Schwalbe marathon racer 1.5″, folding.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, I’d go with a Conti Travel Contact as well. Tough as old boots and ride surprisingly well!

Pieface

Schwalbe Marathons are good, but heavy if you go for the puncture resistant ones. – no punctures in 3 years though.

Recently I’ve been using Conti travel contacts with the side nobs, seem puncture resistant so far, a bit lighter than the schwalbe’s and are better off-road than the Schawalbe’s, although the Schwalbe’s are good off-road except in mud.

BoardinBob

I found the skinny slicks too harsh on my singlespeed mountain bike, even when I had Recons up front and switching to a rigid fork was worse. I’m now running Halo Twin Rails. Big fat slicks with very little rolling resistance and a lot more comfort than skinny slicks. Weight is decent too.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I’ll keep promoting these. 2.3, 630g

Just got some tubeless ones 🙂

richen987
    Free Member

cool thank you all, going with the majority i think the conti contacts sounds decent and found them for £17.95 on JE James so have ordered some.
    cheers 😀

uwe-r
    Free Member

I use DMR motos which are cheap and fast rolling and the dense patten limits punctures. They are 2.2 wide but if you pump them up loads the contact point is thin / lower the pressure and they are fine for off road in the dry. Very highly recomended by me.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=3244

stevie750

I use specialized crossroads armadillo. Had them for about 3 years and never had a puncture and that is with cycling on the broken buckfast bottle covered cycle paths of glasgow. Roll OK and have a nice bit of side tread for mild off road

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘recomend me some good commuting MTB tyres’ is closed to new replies.