Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recomend me an electric shower
  • crmcc
    Free Member

As title, give me your experiences with 8.5kW electric showers. I need to replace mine but don’t want to replace the cable. The current shower was a cheapo and has been rubbish from the start. I have a heat only boiler with no storage so no chance of using a mixer shower. If anyone has flow rate information that would be good.

alanl
    Free Member

They are all much of a muchness. More expensive ones have the same insides as the cheapest, but with a fancier outer cover.

Be aware that most showers advertised at 8.5kW are actually 7.8kW at our nominal voltage.

Screwfix have a Triton at £60, I wouldnt pay any more than that, as it wont get any hotter no matter what price you pay if you are limited to 8.5kW.

Alan.

Bear
    Free Member

Hang on, no storage, so what do you do for hot water at other outlets if you have a heat only boiler?

crmcc
    Free Member

Bear – Member

Hang on, no storage, so what do you do for hot water at other outlets if you have a heat only boiler?
    I new that wuestion was coming. It is for a unit on industrial estate. Hot water comes from 10L multipoint electric water heater, but we need a shower occasionally.

Bear
    Free Member

No room to fit a small unvented cylinder?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

re: replacing the cable.

If the cable exists then simply tie a new heavier cable to the old one and pull the old one through whilst pulling the new one in. Easy! And you can now install a much better shower.

crmcc
    Free Member

Bear – Member

No room to fit a small unvented cylinder?
    I have been considering this but it sounds expensive. What sort of cost is the unvented cylinder? Can it be done DIY or do I need a registered fitter as it is a pressurised vessel

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Note sure about lower power ones, but we have had a Mira for years, and when it eventually broke, the very friendly Mira guy came round, fixed it and charged around 50 pounds for the privilege (new main board). A week or so later, we got the cheque sent back to us with a nice letter saying that the fault was a design flaw, and they weren’t charging for it. Shower was about 6 years old, and I was happy to pay for a repair.

For this reason, my next electric shower will be Mira.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bear, I’ve not priced Unvented for a while, but I’m sure I could install a small combi for less. What do you think?

We got a Mira electric shower for the ensuite from Boundary Bathrooms. Their service is excellent too. If I remember it was cheap too

Electric is what it is, poor flow, doesn’t like lime scale, but has it uses. I fitted ours purely so we had hot water if the boiler went down overnight.

Bear
    Free Member

You need to be registered to fit unvented cylinder, but money well spent as you could get get rid of the multipoint.
    Gledhill do a decent one with a 25 year guarantee on the cylinder.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Scottish & Southern Electric – Utter f***ing shower.

totalshell

mira sport.. the issue with electric showers is plenty of options for entry for water and the electric the mira sport has by far the best / most options.. as for your cable.. just cos the old cable didnt burn through doesnt mean its good enough get a spark to check it out..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me an electric shower’ is closed to new replies.