Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recomend me a smart phone to run Memory-map on.
  • imp999
    Free Member

I've got Memory-map at home so wouuld like to run the mobile version on a smart phone with a big screen, Windows OS and on a cheap contract if possible.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use an i-mate 9502.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I wouldn't get a new one because it'll be running Windows Mobile 6.1 or later which places a severe restriction on the size of map you can upload to the device. You can split the map up into chunks but its a pain. The newer HTC devices don't seem as robust as the older ones too, due to the iphone like screen front + the battery life isn't as good with GPS on.

I think the best for MM is the older HTC phones with GPS built in. I use a T-mobile Compact III which seems ideal.
    http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article705.html

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

info on the map size restriction…
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=4359528

mda

The limited map size issue really isn't a problem once you understand how to restrict the map files sent to the phone. Try to get the biggest screen available and load a utlilty that keeps the GPS running while the screen is off for maximum battery life. Very pleased with my HTC HD.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The limited map size issue really isn't a problem once you understand how to restrict the map files sent to the phone.

I don't find it a problem either.

imp999
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    I wish I had a better grasp of things mobile.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Make sure you get something running WM 6.5 which was released a month ago and is much better than 6.1. All the recent HTC phones will run 6.5, but check it is preinstalled rather than having to do an upgrade

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just got the new HTC HD2 – FANTASTIC and going to run TOMTOM off it and MM when I get home tonight – HUGE screen but big price tag unless you go on contract – runs WinMo 6.5.1 as some dont like that but its better than my old iphone by a mile IMHO 🙂

Available off Vodaphone and T-mobile in the next week and aparently O2 in Nov – most contracts £35/mo with 0-£100 for the phone depending on length of contract.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a smart phone to run Memory-map on.’ is closed to new replies.