Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recomend me a running shoe that works both on road and off road
  • dicky
    Free Member

A bit of advice from you runners out there would be welcomed.
    I'm looking for a running shoe that works both on tarmac and off road trails. I expect such a shoe will be a compromise, but the road shoes I've used are a bit treacherous when it gets even slightly muddy or damp, yet as my runs are about 50% on road I'm guessing I don't want a full on trail shoe. Is there some sort of 'mixed terrain' shoe available? I've tried my local running shop and searched the web but got nowhere.
    Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

I usually use Brooks GTS 8s for running, but like you do a mixture. Picked up the Brooks ASR 6s today as they are the same trainer but with a bit more grip and weatherproofing.

Fairly sure other manufacturers offer rugged versions of their road models.

roper
    Free Member

What type of of road do you run, i.e. mud, rocks, grass..?

These will probably have a pair which will suit most needs
    http://www.inov-8.com/Home.asp?L=26

Salomon are more trail but I use them on roads too, more for rocky trails and drain well when soaked. very hard wearing and can put up with a battering.
    http://www.salomon.com/uk/#/footwear/footwear/trail-running

Montrail make the most road like trail shoes and they are like comfy slippers. They are not as hard wearing as the Salomons but they do make very comfy ultra shoes for mixed terrain and all day use.
    http://montrail.com/default.aspx

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dicky
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have a look at them.

What type of of road do you run, i.e. mud, rocks, grass..?

My off road is mainly grassy / muddy footpaths. Not much rock but the paths can be quite slippery. Linked together by a couple of miles of road and pavement.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

My opinion

Inov8s great shoes but had 2 pairs that both fell apart on the heel ( and yes they were fitted properly).

Salomon had the XApro about 3 years ago the worst sole ive ever used for offroad running and the goretex ones split on the uppers.

Montrail continental divide would be my choice good compromise for on/off road , decent sole and very hard wearing. I would buy these if i were you.

Scarpa just bought some crosslites, a fell shoe, not used much but very good sole/ grip .

dicky
    Free Member

The Montrails sound ideal but as their dealer network is limited, Inov8s might be an easier shoe to get fitted with. Thanks for the suggestions.

AdamT

I've got inov8 terrocs and roclites and I'd not really recommend them for on road use. They're OK on the road but they're certainly primarily intended for offroad use. I do love mine tho! 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

Inov8 are completely shite, i used to be a dealer but got tired of people bringing them back having fallen apart ot injured their feet.

the Saucony Grid jazz is the only descent half and half shoe Ive found.

the salomon XA Pro are ok, but the sauconys rock

cp

Big fan of my brooks cascada

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'd also go with inov-8s. Something like the roclite 315 is a good general comprimise, or pk 230 if you want something more road like. It's worth noting that inov-8s have a less is better policy for cushioning, so if you're used to big clumpy road shoes, they might be a suprise.

surfer
    Free Member

I would stay away from Inov8 and Salomon (I own both types and they are good shoes) they are focused too much on off road.
    I would go for a road shoe with a rugged outersole, Nike Pegasus, Saucony or Brooks as mentioned above.
    A road shoe with a good outersole rather than the other way around.
    I would rather slip a bit off road than curse every step in an off road shoe with little cushioning.

Pieface

My inov8s have been ok. Terroc's might be OK, but think you'd be better with the Saucony's or Cascada's. Otherwise the Nike 'Waffle' sole is Ok.

Peregrine
    Free Member

I can't get along with Inov8, bought some Roclite's and sent them back. They rubbed the back of my foot, dangerous on wet rocks and have virtually no padding.Running home with my shoes in my hands was enough for me to give up on them altogether.

I find that 30 ish% of my 30-50 miles a week is on roads as i have to fit the miles in where i can so often run home from work. I bought Salomon XA PRO GTX, yes they are expensive but i find them very good so far. They are no good for proper fell running but great for trails and a comfy, tough training shoe.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Nike Pegasus. All I ever use. Perfect for mixed running on roads, thru' mud and up mountains, that sort of thing. 🙂

paul4stones

Interesting to hear sanchos view! That was my experience of Inov8s too.

Had several pairs of Montrail Leona Divides which I found perfect for what you describe. I've had trouble finding a replacement as they don't make them anymore but have recently got two pairs of some Salomon ones (going cheap in Cotswold in the summer). They seem fine although don't hold my heel as well as the Montrails did. I use Montrail Highlanders as a fell shoe which are ok for some road bits but I wouldn't want to run too far on a hard surface in them. Mind you, some folks on here have interesting views about cushioning in running shoes . . .

NZCol

off road you want something low profile so you are close to the ground. On road you need some padding. so difficult to get both
    Salomon XT Wings seem to be ok, better sole than xa pro and more padding
    Vasque velocity would be another good choice
    merrell overdrive would be another although mine last exactly 4 hours before they self destructed..
    of course depends on wot fits your foot 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

Saucony Jazz seem to last me quite long. I've run up mountains with them, but they are not as pure off road as fell shoes.

Joe

starseven
    Free Member

+1 for pegasus.

MrNutt
    Free Member

merril are my first choice
    Salomon would be a very very close second

I also have a pair of New Balance 478's which I would say fit the bill perfectly but I don't know if you can still get em!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a running shoe that works both on road and off road’ is closed to new replies.