Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Recomend me a ……………….MOTORBIKE :D
  • vinnyeh

Anyone know anything about yamaha xt-250's from the 80's?

Ticks all the boxes,
    – classic (well its a twin shock with wire wheels, close enough)
    – thumper (although not a big one)
    – simple
    – off roadable (possibly???)
    – get the frame PC'd, rattle can of heat proof paint on the crankcase and voilla, its ready for winter

and dirt dirt dirt cheep

Not great. Not twin shock, monoshock. Even is it's day it was stone slow, 2 valve SOHC. Crappy automatic compression release. Be surprised if the shock was still working correctly. Forks iirc were really bad. TT250 from same years was quite a bit better suspensionwise, but still the same slow engine.
    XT/TT200 from about the same time was a far better bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ahhh, I'll forget about that one then 🙄

Still looks reasnoble (IMO)

mugsys_m8

The XT500's are now really climbing up in value.
    Always fancied one of them.

RD350LC? the same situation though, either dogs, raced, wanted for racing, or mint restorations (expensive). Mind you the powerband makes up for all that….

epicsteve
    Free Member

XT225 Serow is a good bike if you're looking for a small 4-stroke traillie. Good round town and quite capable off-road and not desperately awful on A-roads.

mugsys_m8

MZ.

Great fun. A whole world of MZ geekery awaits.

mugsys_m8

See, I mention MZ and everyone buggers off thinking "freak".

RING A DING RING A DING RING A DING RING A DING RING RING DING A RING A DING.

juan
    Free Member

How about a Yamaha MT-03? I think it's a great looking little bike which is meant to be great to ride as well.

Ok the first part is debatable (after all it's a matter of taste). But it has the same power as a SRX600 and weight 30 kg more…

KeithBrief
    Free Member

Honda VFR would be my choice. Fast, comfortable and reliable.

I do have a sneaky admiration for those BMWs though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The WRs are a bit full on for the road. A DR would be a bit more road friendly.

oomidamon

I used to commute on a DR350, which was a good workhorse. I recently bought a mint 2005 Ducati 749 for £3500, which is a great bike for the money. You could get both for your budget then have an everyday bike and one for 'best'.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmmmm, the ducati is probably my dream bike, but they do say you should never meet your heroes, so I should probably never ride one! Would be nice for track days though 🙂 Maybe in a few years time…….

Righty, here's my foolproof plan………………

Pass test at the end of October

Buy DR-350, thrash the pants off it off road and see if I get hooked.

Then its either the Ducati which ticks the noisy/gorgeous boxes and a hairdryer for the commute. Or a WR-400/426/450 which would hopefully tick the fun to ride box if nothing else.

juan
    Free Member

Then its either the Ducati which ticks the noisy/gorgeous boxes and a hairdryer for the commute.

Multistradra it is then 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Try a WR on the road before committing. Race bikes on the road are utterly horrible.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hence getting the dr-350 to see if its workable/livable, I recon the 15-20 more hp and 20mph on the top speed should make the odd trip on the motorways a bit more palitable (I live in Reading so N/S/E/W are all motorways)

I'm not planning on getting a YZ anyway!

Multistradra it is then

I'm aware I may be in the minority on this, but that bike is absolutely gopping awfull to look at!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I use mine as much as possible.

It's not even close to standard but it is reliable, more than fast enough, great fun, handles very well, smells brilliant and sounds even better…..

😀

mos

If you're interested in WR's you could go here to try them out (mostly offroad stuff though). Plus they've usually got a few in that they want to sell off.

http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/

I was there on tuesday & it's a proper good day out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just come back to this thread to realise that teh OP does not have a license yet.

Please please please do not buy a powerful bike A middleweight commuter / tourer will be easier to learn to ride on – which is what you will be doing for the first 10 000 miles.

something like an ER6 or CB500 is a much better bet for a first bike than some of the things you are talking about.

I don't know how old you are – but check insurance costs as well.

redthunder
    Free Member

Honda Hornet.

Nuff said.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

+1 to what TJ says.

Hairychested
    Free Member

You could buy my Bros. Honda NT650 Bros Mk.1, restored last year, reliable, sounds great (V-twin), simple, light, comfy, easy to ride.

anagallis_arvensis

I bought this after passing my test in late July and it immediatly went to the garage to be fixed after a kind car driver rear ended me as I was waiting to join a roundabout. Its now fixed and I am commuting on it. Its not pretty but was cheap and seems like a good first bike as its fast enough without being stupid and nice and upright. Would prefer a bonneville scrambler but then I'm not rich and dont have a garage so it has to live outside.

oxnop
    Free Member

As it's coming up to winter I wouldn't be spending that kind of money yet.

I'd get a yzf600r thundercat and pay around £1500. Then in April (by then you'll prob know if mb's are for you) look for something different (if you want). You then will of had the experience of a 'big' bike which is comfy/reliable and quick + you prob won't lose any money on it. When I passed my direct access when I was 21 I only paid £400 to insure it – I then moved on to bigger/faster and more exotic bikes as my experience grew.

I wouldn't bother with an enduro style bike IMO as you prob will get bored/frustrated. Good fun as a second bike though!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – nice first bike – fast enough to keep you amused for a couple of years, upright riding position for easy learning on etc etc.

Always rather fancied one myself – I have had big BMWs

sv

Got to be a KTM Superduke!

(Or an…SV!)

anagallis_arvensis

Best thing about it TJ is it cost £900!

Northwind

The modern Triumph retro twins are pretty nice… Decent enough handling, sensible amount of power, they don't make good economic sense compared to an SV650 or similiar but they work surprisingly well considering what they are.

I'm going to recommend an SV650 as well, mind, because they're cheap, fun, and hard to kill.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Honda XR400 is a good off road bike and also super reliable.

solamanda
    Free Member

6 mile commute? Why bother with a motorbike at all? Just get a scooter and if you want to move to a motorbike for fun just buy something else. Commuting just 6 miles on a 'big' bike is abit pointless imho.

If you do want a bigger bike just search on what's locally available in 600cc'ish. ER6, SV650, Hornet, CBF, ER5, CB500 etc…

Euro
    Free Member

Honda NX650 Dominator

If you like the looks, then this is the perfect bike for you.

Learner friendly, but still great fun to hoon about on once you get a bit of experience. Great build quality which means it should last a few british winters (unlike some of the suggestion above). More like a bicycle with an engine, so easy to throw about and if you do drop it, there's very little on it to break. Single cyclinder 650cc engine, so it's got a bit of character (for a honda) and easy on the pocket come service time.

anagallis_arvensis

If you like the looks

Then you are bonkers, its even uglier than mine!!

Euro
    Free Member

Nah man, if you left the dommie too close to the fire, it would look like yours 😉

My first 'proper' bike was the italian version of the F650 (Aprilia Pegaso). Great wee bike – let down by dodgy electrics, but loads of fun on the backroads and somehow invisible to the plod.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've had motorbikes before, a tiwanese built hairdryer when was 16 and a honda 125 when I was 17, just let my CBT expire while I was at uni and now have the spare cash to get back on bikes. Done about 18,000 miles on those two bikes, so I've had plenty of experience on small bikes, anyway, nothing I've suggested has more than about 35-40bhp, hardly big bike teritory.

The 6 mile commute bit is hopefuly only temporary while my knee heals up (again). I used to ride it but would rather spend my life destrying an engine on a short commute than dosed upto my eyeballs on painillers and saving the environment thankyouverymuch.

MrTall
    Free Member

Remember to get a decent helmet and gear as well.

I got knocked off this afternoon and they big crack on the side of the helmet is quite sobering to how lucky i was. Aches and pains and a woozy head but seems like i'm ok.

My beloved Vmax has not faired so well though and i'm gutted. 🙁

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a ……………….MOTORBIKE :D’ is closed to new replies.