Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Recomend me a freeride/ mini dh bike.
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Nice one tom and thanks for the kind offer but your bike is safe I live in Stafford

Just out of interest what forks do you have? There are some other Voltages at Stile Cop but they are all Boxxered up & I feel underbiked at times 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

Commencal Supreme/Mini DH. The 2007 ones pedalled really well (for a 160-180 bike)and could handle DH, jumping and be built up fairly light for a bike at that time. Can pick one up for about £600 complete

I sold my 07 Commie for a good bit less than that 😥 and it had some decent upgrades on it. Mine wasn’t great for pedaling as it had evolved into a DH bike but it was great fun. Fast, stable, nimble and tough as hell. Kept up with dh racers on all but the roughest terrain. Modern trail bikes (i changed to a Stumpy evo) are far better all-rounders, but not quite as good going down.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Shameless plug but I’m selling a mini dh frame and live in glasgow

http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1295353/

mikey74
    Free Member

I actually think the title “mini-DH” is a bit of a misnomer because what we are talking about are bikes that are DH bikes, just lighter and more maneuverable ones.

I had this very debate when I was looking for a new bike a few weeks ago: Basically, I don’t do XC any more, I only ride downhill (road riding and xc running has taken over from xc mtbing), so I wanted a DH bike, but I didn’t want one with dual crowns (for various reasons), and I didn’t want one where the geometry only makes sense when raced at world cup speeds, so I opted for a Morewood Kalula and I definitely made the right decision.

honourablegeorge

mikey74 – Member

I actually think the title “mini-DH” is a bit of a misnomer because what we are talking about are bikes that are DH bikes, just lighter and more maneuverable ones.

I don’t think it’s a misnomer at all – it means exactly what you say – it doesn’t mean that the bikes are especially pedal-friendly. Just a bit less heft and travel.

Rode with an outrageously skilled guide on a TR250 in the summer, trying my best to keep up with him, thinking I was doing well, then realising that he preferred a bike with single crowns because he was nose-wheelie-ing around most of the corners.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice one tom and thanks for the kind offer but your bike is safe I live in Stafford

Just out of interest what forks do you have? There are some other Voltages at Stile Cop but they are all Boxxered up & I feel underbiked at times

Haven’t been to stile cop for ages, been meaning to get there soon as there’s a lot of stuff I want to ride.

I’m using some 2010 55 RC3s at the minute. Pretty nice fork but a bit “notchy” feeling with the air preload – would prefer dual air on a Lyrik or an X Fusion I reckon.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Well for what it’s worth I have a mini DH bike. Bought a used commencal supreme 6 frame and built it up with a DH spec including marzocchi 66 180 mm forks. It weighs a ton and is totally bombproof. Have been riding it at innerleithen and hoping to take it further afield later in in the year. Loving it so far and don’t think I’d want more travel at the moment. Was very cheap to build up too, much cheaper than an equivalent full on DH bike would have been for me.

I can understand what people are saying about getting a 160 mm trail bike, TBH I’ll probably go down that route myself at some point with something like a nukeproof mega am but for just now, while I’m learning to ride DH, I’ll stick with my wee DH bike.

godzilla
    Free Member

My mini DH bike (2012 Patriot) picked it up as i wanted something that i could ride DH but also stand a chance of peddling round the Alps, done some uplift days and even a little trail riding when i was between bikes, the only similar bike i tried was the Canyon torque for a couple of hours while in Tignes, it felt very heavy and nowhere near as nimble, i could not be happier with my choice.

torihada
    Free Member

Another Scott Voltage FR20 (2011). Lot of bike for the price, hence so many in this thread, and the reason I bought it. Flogged the stock forks & put some 180mm Totems on it and took it to Whistler: perfect. The Reverb only goes on it when off to the Alps, just in case there’s some pedalling 😥

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a freeride/ mini dh bike.’ is closed to new replies.