Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recomend me a bike for commuting
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

~OK, much as I think its gorgeous to look at the claude buttler tourer is going to have to be sold, its just a size too small for me, and the feeling of being on a roadbike (drop bars, high saddle) but not having that instant acceleration of an lightweight aluminium frame, and slacker angles is doing my nut in. (anyone after a 54cm tourer mail me)

So, recomend me a bike for commuting. Must take…

700c wheels, canti or drop brakes im not fussed, not disks.
    front and rear rack/pannier mounts
    front and rear mudguard mounts.
    Frame only or full bike, I've got most of the bits so either is good.

I'm not bothered about drop or flat bars, in some ways I'd prefer flats, in other ways, drops.

Nothing poncey/niche/expensive for the sake of it which rulles out the roadrat and surly etc.

The ideal is a kaffenback, in white, with 2 sets of eyelets out back and lowrider mounts on the forks. Is that too much to ask? A touring bike, thats light and more sporty geometry.

D0NK

I use a pompino*, great for commuting, cheap, full mudguards and no gears, not exactly light tho

*same frame as Kaffenback i think

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lighter than a a lot of frames though? Problem is they dont have mounts for guards and racks, just guards (or racks without guards I suppose).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicsteve
    Free Member

My Tricross had rack and mudguard mounts front and back while being lighter than a full-on tourer – might be worth a look either new or 2nd hand.

ourmaninthenorth

I know they don't make them any more, but only because they've replaced them with something similar (that I don't know the name of) but my Giant SCR is exactly this bike.

– It's an alu frame (not that light, but what do you expect for a £500 bike) with carbon forks.
    – Guard/rack mounts on forks and frame
    – slacker – "sportive" – geometry, so not full on race bike, but not tourer-barge either

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Planet X Uncle John? Think that's got rack mounts. Not sure about the matching forks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i recommend you use a bike for commuting.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have an Uncle John in commuter-guise, I've fitted discs though, got tired of changing rim brake pads every 2 week in winter, and endlessly re-rimming my wheels.

Its great, nippy enough without being race-bike twitchy.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'll tell you what, when i get the new pomp, i'll have a rolling chassis of the current one for sale in large – frame, fork, brakes, both wheels. pretty good starting point if you're interested. has served me well. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

The ideal is a kaffenback, in white, with 2 sets of eyelets out back and lowrider mounts on the forks. Is that too much to ask? A touring bike, thats light and more sporty geometry.

How about a kaffenback? I'm not sure what you think one is missing…..

midlifecrashes

I don't commute a lot, but when I do I use this:

Giant SCR3

But they're right about the Kaff

grantway
    Free Member

I had a Giant XTC 3 all good angles for commuting and some XC too
    Or go for a Cycle Cross bike like a Kona Jake.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Hi Richard ..
    You got mail mate about DH AM wheelset.. 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Trek 1.2 has mudguard/rack mounts at the rear.

TenMen
    Free Member

I've also got a Giant SCR 3, and it's great. Upgraded it to put on a carbon seatpost, lube the chain when I can remember, and I've done 1,500 miles on it so far without any problems.

bullheart
    Free Member

Raleigh S.F 2.0?

Not particularly popular, but I've got the 3.0 (discs) and its ace.

http://shop.tootyred.co.uk/raleigh-airlite-sf-20-35-p.asp

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

😮

scruff
    Free Member

You say no to Roadrat but I do find mine so comfy, really smooth ride which I never expected on a roadish bike with skinny tyres.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a bike for commuting’ is closed to new replies.