Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recomend a sleeping bag
  • mrfrosty
    Free Member

As titled 3-4 season reasonably priced. Thanks in advance

boxelder

German site here looks good quality and value.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Cumulus (or rebranded Criterion) bags are nice and good value. I really like their quilts too, which are great if you’re a restless sleeper.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags

boblo
    Free Member

Define reasonably priced and what are you using it for?

You can pay anything from £25 in Tesco to over £500 at PHD depending what you want.

Car camping or back/bikepacking. Tent or bivvy. When will you use it etc. Without this, it’s not easy to give sensible suggestions.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Alpkit.com decent kit at a good price

stevedoc
    Free Member

Snugpak sleeper elite , Ive had mine out under and landrover in minus 10 conditions with a bivvy to boot , kept me nice and warm , I think the extreme is minus 17

shermer75
    Free Member

Are you planning to hike with it or just stick it in the back of a car? The price goes up when you need to get the weight and bulk down

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Vango Catalyst 400. Field & Trek were selling them for £140 a while back…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    Northwind

Snugpak got all the recommendations when I was last shopping. But yeah, depends what you want, warm and compact costs, warm and bulky is easy.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Cheers for reply’s. I’m planning on using it for summer/autumn bikepacking and camping. I’ll check your recommendations out guys.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you are doing summer/autumn bikepacking and camping then a 3-4 season bag is probably one season too many unless you are a cold sleeper. Although 2-3 seasons, i.e. mid-spring to mid-autumn in the north of Scotland is a bit different to the same time frame in Cornwall. Take temperature ratings with a pinch of salt and do a search for any model(s) you take an interest in.

Conditions that make sleeping cooler: bivvy or sleeping under a tarp; wind; increased altitude; higher latitude; thin sleeping mat; tiredness; hunger.

Conditions that make sleeping warmer: in a tent; thick sleeping mat; well nourished; snug sleeping bag.

Down is warmer weight for weight and packs to a smaller volume than synthetic but costs more and is more susceptible to environmental moisture and body vapour.

You can make things warmer by the use of a bivvy bag outer and a silk liner (the silk liner is also useful in protecting a down bag from the oils and other chemicals in your sweat). Having a bag that is reasonably snug also helps in keeping you warm: if you are in a large bag, every time you move around you push the air that you’ve warmed up out of the bag which is replaced by cold air that you then have to warm up again.

I bought one of these http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minimus-down-sleeping-bag for bikepacking in PHD’s spring sale but have yet to use it as it only arrived a few days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recomend a sleeping bag’ is closed to new replies.