Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recomend a place to stay in Brittany
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

so….quiet gites with plenty of interesting stuff in a 20 mile (cycleable) radius. only need to sleep 2 people but nothing too squalid.

any towns to look near? any to avoid?

thanks

mike

matthewjb
    Free Member

We stay near Benodet

Lots of quiet backroads to cycle on. Quiet beaches

It’s about 90 minutes drive from Roscoff. A bit more from St Malo.

djglover
    Free Member

Went to benodet a few years ago in a gite, was nice for a few days. Don’t go later than early september though the weather can be awful. We had 7 days of rain and gales.

It was this one http://www.brittany.co.uk/property-chaumiere-34.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woffle
    Free Member

matthewjb – Member
    We stay near Benodet

Really? We’ve holidayed just up the road from Benodet as a family pretty much every year for the last 30 odd years. Where abouts?

(Benodet is lovely btw – we’re all heading there in late June / early July – about 18 assorted siblings, children and grandparents)

matthewjb
    Free Member

Where abouts?

The last few times we stayed here. Great for the kids.

Where do you stop?

djglover
    Free Member

Brittany is good if you are have a young family or are really old. Pretty dull otherwise IMO.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Whats the weather like in mid July? Is it more or less the same as Cornwall? We normally go a bit further down to the Vendee but I dont fancy the drive this year.

woffle
    Free Member

We stay at a campsite on the coast – Camping du Letty (? not sure about the du / de / whether they’ve got a website). Likewise great for the kids though they need to make their own entertainment – there are better campsites like Point Saint Giles up the road if you want the swimming pool / kids club.

My three siblings and I pretty much ran riot from the age of about two onwards when my parent starting caravaning in Brittany. They / we’ve been going nearly every year since so we know the owners almost like family. It’s lovely, can’t wait. Two weeks of doing nothing but messing about on the beach and rock-pooling with my kids, nieces and nephews – hope to get in some cycle rides, snorkelling, spear fishing and a few trips into Benodet of an evening with my wife. Lots of seafood, decent wine.

Pure bliss.

They’ve a new ferry doing the Roscoff route too – it’s the maiden season so we’ve splashed out on a decent cabin for the overnight. Not cheap though (we’ve decided to do the journey in the UK from Sussex down to Devon rather than the longer trip in France)

Brittany is good if you are have a young family or are really old. Pretty dull otherwise IMO.

I don’t know – there’s was / is a sailing school just up the road from the campsite as well as a profusion of rather enlightened German and Dutch girls that made my brothers and I very happy during our teenage years. Agreed that it’s perfect if you’ve got young kids though – our two girls will be running feral within 2 days.

Whats the weather like in mid July? Is it more or less the same as Cornwall?

Pretty much spot on. We’ve had scorching years and not-so-scorching years but generally it’s good. We’re there until mid-July and are expecting it to be alright. As long as it doesn’t pee it down for 2 weeks I’ll be happy.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

have stayed here

Carnac

carnac is great!! will reccomend to anyone.

matthewjb
    Free Member

We stay at a campsite on the coast – Camping du Letty

I’ve ridden past many times. It’s a lovely area. Lots of good cycle routes.

We generally get the ferry to St Malo. The cabins are worth the extra cost over the reclining chairs.

brant
    Free Member
    RooleyMoor
    Free Member

We’ve stayed at Cap Coz (Peirre et Vacances) in apartments, that was nice and not too far from Benodet

Gites near Pontivy, that too was nice (can’t remember the name of them though)

and we’re going to a working farm in brittany this summer which is going to be great for the kids.

taking bikes too!

As for ferries, we’re doing the Portsmouth-Caen crossing, price was a shock after going via dover-dunkirque for the last few years! £559 for car, roof mounted bikes, 2 adults and 3 kids..

midlifecrashes

Been here, loved it. Cheap and heated pool too. Decent market and bike shop in nearest town. Oh and a XC race course(VTT) in the woods out the back I only discovered on my last full day.

Bot Coet Cottages

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Carnac again

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recomend a place to stay in Brittany’ is closed to new replies.