Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recognising the right time for the last visit to the vets.
  • eskay

I am struggling with this at the moment. We have two 15 year old dogs, both have various ailments but are generally ok. One has become quite incontinent (medication not helping). Her behavior has also changed recently (appearing more anxious snd has started chewing the door quite badly if left alone).

They both have Cushings disease which means they will slowly deteriorate.

I am rubbish at realising the right time. I kept our last old girl going too long.

I think I will have a chat with the vets next week.

dazzlingboy

I feel for you – been in your shoes a couple of times and our current lab is heading downhill.

You’ll make the best decision for them I’m sure – no matter how hard it is for you.

Remember the good times.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Their quality of life should be your guide IMO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

My guide is would you want to live in their paws! The incontinent medicated one whose behaviour has changed significantly sounds like it’s not happy with life,,if it was me I would make the decision now to not prolong it’s suffering, but that’s me, I lost both my Cockers at 11 one year apart from one another due to massive unknown tumours, they only came to light with other symptoms and they had been happy until that point!

theotherjonv

I feel for you. It’s a judgement call, but in my limited experience of two cats, we left both too long and they deteriorated badly at the end. One had a bad last night before he made his last trip, with terrible incontinence and distress, the other faded badly over a weekend and died in her sleep the night before we were taking her down. In both cases we delayed to avoid an out of hours vet bill, in both cases I can’t remember what the money saved was used for but I regret to this day not spending it.

Not advocating euthanasing a ‘healthy’ animal by any means, but when it’s clear the road is only going to one place, don’t be afraid to make the right choice before it gets too late.

Sandwich

A terrible place to be, you have my sympathy. The incontinent one is not going to be a happy dog, they like to keep their bed/den clean. She’s also overriding the training you put in as a puppy to prevent this and ‘disappointing’ (best I can come up with as dogs don’t do emotions per se) you will be adding to the distress. All the best and if possible get a house call from the vet, it will help the one left behind.

epicyclo

It’s a very difficult decision.

In retrospect I have always hung on too long.

bigyinn
    Free Member

As others have said, its the animal’s quality of life that should be the deciding factor.
    The fact that you’ve asked the question suggests deep down you do know. Its horrible, having been through the same recently with my old 17 yo cat.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recognising the right time for the last visit to the vets.’ is closed to new replies.