Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Reclaiming bank charges..
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone done this successfully?

mrmo
    Free Member

I think you’ll find not recently, as the courts decided the banks are perfectly within their rights to bend you over and shaft you.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

mrmo has it. Since the Supreme Court hearing in ’09 you’ve no chance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8376906.stm

I know a few people who managed to get £5-6,000 back a few years ago (beggars belief that people run their accounts that badly…..)

Northwind

You still have the same recourse you always did, of just asking them and seeing what happens. For some reason most folks don’t do this.

Davesport

My own experience.

I tried to reclaim PPI charges on my RBS Visa car dating back to 1992. The bank said no. I went to the Financial Ombudsman (FO) & they took up my case. This was more than four years ago. They found in my favour & told the bank to pay me back the PPI charges from the date of my claim for the six years previous. The bank told me that they were going to settle but would not put a figure on the amount. I rejected the settlement on numerous grounds & let them know in no uncertain terms I would pursue them as far as I possibly could. I’m in no rush & do not “need” the money. The FO informed me that the banks are only obliged to keep records going back six years. However I pointed out that they had already revealed to me that they had information pertaining to my case going back to the begining. They agreed, told me that they were going to make a further award to me due to all the inconvenience I’d “suffered” & pursue the bank for all of the PPI charges levied against me + interest dating back to when I first recieved my card.

So at the moment my case is with an adjudicator & has been for some time. I get frequent letters from the FO informing me of the status of my case. Almost certainly the bank will end up getting charged for these letters when I eventually win my case which I’m confident I will.

At the time of writing I’ve recieved not a penny. But it has’nt cost me anything either, other than a couple of letters to initiate the process at the begining. I’ll update this post when & if I get a result.

NB. It appears that the FO is unkeen to pursue the banks past the six year point, as that is apparently the length of time they have to keep your records. So unless you personally have kept track of things before this point the banks will simply say the records have been destroyed/lost/deleted. In my case they let me see their “hand” so knew they had more information going back before the six year cut-off.

Good luck. Be prepared for a protracted wait as they’ll probably try to fob you off. Take it in your stride & let them know you’re not going away.

D.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Davesport – PPI comes under misselling so is still a viable claim, indeed one is likely to be sucessful, as I suspect you will be.

Charges however (unauthorised o/d etc) are covered under the court ruling so if you try to get them back you’re p*ssing into the wind.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Reclaiming bank charges..’ is closed to new replies.