Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Reclaimed Timber in Central Scotland?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

There used to be a great place called Trojan in Dundee which sold reclaimed timber. Anything from a joist to a floorboard. They seem to have closed down, certainly their telephone number is no longer working.

Does anyone know of a timber reclaimation yard in Central Scotland?
    I need some 6x2s and some flooring.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A couple of salvage yards in Edinburgh I can only remember the name of one

http://www.easy-arch-salv.co.uk/

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks Jeremy

Easy and the guys at Duddingston are a bit up market. What I’m after is a semi demolition yard. The second the architectural salvage moniker appears the costs rise sharply.

I’m tring to build a rustic backwoods style studio.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

There was somewhere in the borders. Friends of mine got an old gym floor 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Druidh,

I’ve got something similar (gym/dancefloor) in Maple from Trojan for another project. I cant wait to get it laid.

druidh
    Free Member

I misread that last bit… 😳

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not sure if he’s still there, but a guy called Graham used to work out of the old Tay Rope Works on Magdalen Yard Road – in front of you as you cross the railway bridge coming off Riverside. Big on reclaimed stuff.

Also Salvoweb is worth a look, but is some work to get what you’re after + location

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is that in Dundee?

timber

what grade of timber?
    hardwood/softwood? green/seasoned? rough/planed?

try a sawmill direct, smaller the better for this sort of thing, our mobile miller certainly has stuff and is reasonably cheap, equally so do I, but I’m nowhere near central Scotland, 500 sq. feet of poplar boards planed and a similar amount of Beech, both stuff we’re holding for conservation building where they want to replace like with like

wouldn’t try bsw in Fort William unless you’re building a warehouse – they deal in 100 tons at a time

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m after stuff that needs recycling, joists and floor boards. I may use scaffolding battens for the floors and walls. I can still get those easily enough. I want to paint the building a colour, so it would be a pity to use new wood.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where’s it going MC?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Up at the stables Al. I fancy something along the lines of a cabin I saw in Oregon. It’ll be elevated off the ground on telegraph poles with a stoop and wide eaves to store logs under. I want to have a stove in it for winter.

skidartist
    Free Member

For old scaff boards and similar rough old wood try Glasgow Wood Recycling Project

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Is that in Dundee?
    yes
    ..and i think he’s called taymouth archtectural antiques.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just back frome here http://www.hargreavesreclaimedflooring.co.uk/

Brilliant, I got 40 14 feet 6 x 2s for £200.

The guys mas masses of marble, belfast sinks and cast iron radiators if anyone is looking for them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Reclaimed Timber in Central Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.