Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Reci Ride today for SSEC (Pics inc)
  • sheldona
    Free Member

Popped out for a spin in the FOD with a group to have a think about a ride for the Sunday morning with pub stop. DONE, good route with nice singletrack sections and a pub stop who are willing to put on a special bar for us and a buffet spread 😉

Clicky for morey

singlespeedstu

What's this SSEC all about then?

Is it some kind of gathering of one geared nichewhores or something?

sofaking
    Free Member

a mincer gathering , or so i hear

sheldona
    Free Member

a mincer gathering , or so i hear

like that but with cheese 😉

igm

Meanwhile at Dalby, out on my singlespeed and still trying to complete the course, it was snowing. Heavily. Needed three attempts to get back up the hill out of the forest.

That looks almost summerish. Jealous? Of course not.

EDIT: I've seen the rest of the shots now. You have some snow down in the tropical south I see. Not much mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

will i look as niche as the chap in that picture if i come on the ride ?

how far from pub to campsite ? only ask as i cant get off work on monday so i have to drive 600 miles on sunday night alas no drinking and getting away sharp after the ride will be mandatory !

sheldona
    Free Member

We should hit the pub by oneish….. You can be back from the pub in less than an hour but that'll all depend on how fast you can pedal! Just after the pub stop we'll have a fantastic singletrack then the ride will split into two, those that need to head back and those that have time to go ride some more!
    As far as niche is concerned that is up to you!

igm

Are there niche points for bringing my son along on a LOCT?

And more to the point is that going to be practical – ie distance, time, dropoffs? He's done Dalby red and red downhills in the Alps, if that is anything to go by.

Sorry to ask daft questions, but it's better I ask rather than get myself into something that makes for problems.

sheldona
    Free Member

IGM, I have no idea what you are trying to ask :-0

Its a 2 to 2.5 hr ride up and down to get to the pub with some demanding singletracks on the way/way back. Its going to be a group ride (With several groups split into different speed/abilities) so as long as he can keep up then yes, if no then no as we have to think about the group. Once we start riding none of the trails are way marked as they are all local knowledge type stuff so it will be almost impossible to give you a get out route other get you to a road then point.

tazzymtb

no sunday boozin for me as I too have to pretend to be professional on Monday 😥

I will however get extra boozled up on saturday night to make up for my lack of beer commitment on sunday.So while you lot are "cycling"(pushing 'cos they're single speeds) to a pub I'll still be lying in a sleeping bag trying to remember who/what/where I am followed by a very steady drive home looking through eyes that resemble wee holes in the snow.

Can't wait.

sheldona
    Free Member

You can still ride with us Tazzy? You only live 1.5hrs up the road FFS 😉

tazzymtb

well yes, but a pub without having a beer is fundamentally wrong 😀

I will come along though so long as you have a mincing slowly for unfit fatties group.

did you enjoy the snecklifter by the way?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah min i live in aberdeen – and i have to drop smee/glupton off at innerleithen on the way home

and arrive at work looking professional on monday morning

come ride tazzy !

singlespeedstu

*laughs at tazzys lightweightness*

sheldona
    Free Member

There'll be a number of different groups going out all aiming to be at the pub by about 13:00! Then the groups will split just after lunch for those that need to mince off home then for those that want to ride some more can!

EDIT:
    Stu remember the last time you saw the band that is playing our Sat night?? Did you ride the next day?? Or month? LOL

tazzymtb

thanks stu, just for that I'll make sure have some of my favorite absinthe with wormword on saturday night so you can join me in feeling like a bag of ploppy pants on sunday. 😆

singlespeedstu

*hangs head in shame and remembers the inturnal injury*

tazzymtb

this musical entertainment for saturday night sounds rather interesting. I was hoping for a blacklace tribute band is this not the case?

sheldona
    Free Member

Which reminds me we need to source a barrier for the stage! One that won't do Stu damage when he stage dives onto it 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

No but one of the Friday night bands are planning on doing 99Red ballons as part of their set!

tazzymtb

99redballons the cover of choice by so many pub/punk bands genius!

sheldona
    Free Member

😉

igm

Sheldon – Good point. I asked one of those questions that's absolutely obvious to the guy asking and means nothing to anyone else. That said I think you pretty much answered it.
    He'll be on my bike on one of those off road child seats. I'll be pedalling for him – he likes to think he's steering. Occasionally he changes gear for me, preferably half way up a climb for full comic effect. The stuff in the pics looked fine. Two to 2.5 hours sounds fine. If I join one of the low speed/ability groups that ought to work. And I fully understand that you guys are there to show the way to us out of towners, not to look after us like nannies when we make silly decisions.

tazzymtb

just thought of a serious question. what security is there to ensure that the local 6-toed hicks don't come and nab some of these newfangled velocipedes? just thinking about the size of the locks to bring to bolt the bike inside the car during the evenings drinkies.

sheldona
    Free Member

the hotel and campsite* are in the middle of nowhere, there shouldn't be anybody just walking past, on saying that the security of your bike is your responsibility!

IGM, after I wrote that I wondered if it sounded a little harsh so I'm glad it made sence and didn't offend, however if your lad changes your gears for you you'll have an issue on that weekend as geared riders will be shot.

*Feild

yunki
    Free Member

I am bitterly disappointed at the lack of open-toed sandals in these photographs

igm

Have you tried singlespeeding with an extra 3-4 stone of 3 year old and seat on the bike?

Given the choice the firing squad might look like the easy option.

sheldona
    Free Member

We'll give you a choice between firing sqad or a stoning, just let us now when you sign on so we can get a fresh delivery of rocks organised 🙂

singlespeedstu

Have you tried singlespeeding with an extra 3-4 stone

The 'tohlla has to carry that round in his wok all the time not just on his bike.

sheldona
    Free Member

Pot black and kettle 😉

psling
    Free Member

the hotel and campsite* are in the middle of nowhere, there shouldn't be anybody just walking past,

When word gets out that an event involving music & alchohol is happening on that field over a weekend you'd be surprised how many youngsters will appear wanting to join in the festivities. And, having potentially walked there they may well be looking for an easier method to get home so, yes, be prepared to secure your bikes!

sheldona
    Free Member

Thats true Psling, I put a flyer up in the cyclecenter the other week then after the ride I took it down again as I didn't want to advertise the "festival" 😉

We've also got security bands, anyone without one will be asked to leave the site.
    All riders must sign on when they arrive to recieve their bands those that have paid for non riders will also receive a security band for the non rider too.

Psling any chance you could give me a bell soonish? Ta

thekingofsweden

Fair bit of updock on the trails yesterday hope to get them swept by April

clubber
    Free Member

Are you still looking for marshalls? I'll see if any LVISers are free that weekend if so.

sheldona
    Free Member

There was a fair bit of upDoc around yesterday KOS, maybe we should hold a wee comp to see if any of the athletes find any during the event?

Clubber, yeah one or two still needed, they will need bikes though to access the marshal points!

thekingofsweden

Sounds like a plan 😀

Good work

clubber
    Free Member

Cool. Presumably then they get free entry and can come on the non "race" rides?

anotherstan
    Free Member

excuse my ignorance 😕

…but what is "updoc" ?

sheldona
    Free Member

Cool. Presumably then they get free entry and can come on the non "race" rides?

Yes we're giving away 1 free pass(security band) for every marshal position around the course. All marshals will need to be available from 08:30 on the Sat am until the course is clear. The security pass will get them into the parties and also a feed on the Sat night, they will also be allowed to join the social rides on Friday and Sunday.

sheldona
    Free Member

Points and laughs @ anotherstan 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Reci Ride today for SSEC (Pics inc)’ is closed to new replies.