Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Recharageable Batteries & Charger Question
  • geoffj

I've seen these 2650 mah batteries on the 7dayshop website: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=106058

I have an Energizer charger that came with some 1000mAh batteries.

Will it work with the 2650 mAh ones, or do I need a new one?

Ta

Geoff

coffeeking
    Free Member

Assuming it was a nimh charger it will work, it may just take longer or be less optimal in its charging. A decent charger will charge at a rate approximately based on the capacity of the cells, obviously you have nearly trebled your capacity so it would be nice to output 3x the current to charge it faster. Your charger may do this but I suspect it's not that smart and will simply continue to charge at the slower rate. This won't cause any major problems for the cells, but it won't charge in the same time.

geoffj

Cheers CK. That's good to know, it means that I may as well buy and try and then could always get another charger if this one doesn't work out.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, all good! All modern nimh chargers charge at constant current and look for a change in either temperature or more commonly a negative gradient on the voltage required to maintain that current, then switch over to a trickle. All nimh cells will give that "step" down in charging voltage as they approach fully charged, so all nimh chargers will charge the cell fully regardless of capacity). There's a couple of minor exceptions (if you charge rediculously slowly the step can become indistinguishable as it happens really slowly (the charger looks for a drop of so many millivolts per second), or if you charge really really quickly you can way overshoot before spotting the drop. But most chargers and most cells fall within a compatible range.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Recharageable Batteries & Charger Question’ is closed to new replies.