Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • Recession and job loses,whens it going to end………………..
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if every day more and more jobs being lost to skilled workers, in construction and engineering, the skills Great Britain was built on, and today Tesco said theyre taking on staff to stack shelves and trundle trolleys,along with a bus company in the midlands,but how is that going to help construction and engineering.

Almost every retail shop you go into is empty of customers,staff who are working are fearful of redundancy or the sack,quite a few workers i speak to say theyre bullied and now worry about the above.

Whens it all going to end, and who else is affected and cant see any light at the end of the very long tunnel.

Pook

Rolls-Royce is looking for an extra 200 engineers. There’s a nationwide shortage and they’re ploughing money into developing apprentice academies. S’not all doom and gloom.

Flaperon

Sorry about that. Many apologies for disturbing your peace by employing people. I shall send them home immediately.

Kind regards,

Tesco.

In all seriousness, industry in this country has been stuffed for the last thirty years. It’s not going to change now.

miketually
    Free Member

1000 new jobs at Nissan. They just started making steel on Teesside again.

donsimon
    Free Member

Move out of the North West.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17752753

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lots of jobs in Banking appearing all over again.

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a shortage of qualified engineers in Scotland apparently. There was some chat on the radio last week advising that students might actually want to choose their subjects with a view to future employment. I’m guessing that means too many History of Art graduates……

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a shortage of qualified engineers in Scotland apparently.

There’s your problem.

project
    Free Member

So to qualify as an engineer, you need a degree, and experience, in an engineering firm, and few firms take on inexperienced engineers.

druidh
    Free Member

project – Member
    So to qualify as an engineer, you need a degree, and experience, in an engineering firm, and few firms take on inexperienced engineers.

They do when there’s a shortage….. 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

But obviously no shortage of dicks in England.

I couldn’t agree more.

jonba
    Free Member

Redcar blast furnace is back up again, 1200 there? Not engineers though.

slownorm
    Free Member

Automotive engineers are enjoying the first real peak for at least 12 years!

project
    Free Member

but nowhere do the jobs listed above go anywhere near the skilled jobs lost.

lunge

I can’t find high level IT engineers. Loads of jobs for skilled people in my experience.

Hohum
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher!

dekadanse
    Free Member

………..when the capitalist scum start eating their own babies
    (and we start kicking their arrogant self-justifying arses!)

Pook

erm, no. As I said IN THE FIRST REPLY TO YOUR POST AT THE VERY TOP OF THIS THREAD, you could do an apprenticeship.

Y’know – the old way of learning a trade.

but nowhere do the jobs listed above go anywhere near the skilled jobs lost

Yeah you’re right, investment in apprenticeships at Rolls-Royce, a huge british based manufacturer building world leading jet engines and more, training employing engineers from the UK. It’s not like they’ve been doing it for long. In the UK.

But hey, don’t let an educated and fact based response which goes against your view influence you.

CaptJon
    Free Member

jonba – Member
    Redcar blast furnace is back up again, 1200 there?

Good news, but no net increase in jobs. Just those who used to work there going back.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Our division had ~50 space software/system engineers. We’ve lost 15 engineers to other companies in the last year.

It’s always a struggle to recruit suitable engineers. We’ve just recruited a young software engineer who’s starting next month. And we may be recruiting a more experienced one soon.

So I would say the sense of a down-turn varies across industrial sectors.

project
    Free Member

Pook i did an apprenticeship and worked in a large steelworks, till it was closed down and sold to china, dismantled and then sent to chung king and rebuilt.

And how many jobs are being created at Rolls Royce, very few i bet.

Pook

Enough – RR are short at the mo, and the academy should pump out 200 a year IIRC.

edit: and it appears other industries are picking up too from other’s comments here.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ime its as per druidhs comment

I started as a bike shop mechanic with a degree in mech eng , 3 years later enjoying a varied career in oilfield now as an engineer just moved to the work.

Ymmv

jam-bo

17% up on last year and could employ more if we could find the right people.

project
    Free Member

Pook most large companies had well equipped training centres, so what rolls royce is doing is nothing new, where as the RAF at Cosford are closing theirs as part of a defence review, all those training skills will be lost then,along with all the highly skilled trainees.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hahahaha!

As I keep telling you lot, assholes in charge shit is gonna happen.

We have leaders who have no ability or vision, on top of that there is this fundamentally flawed philosophy of every man for himself.

You can’t work in an environment where there is no trust, also the asshats in this country want to charge as much as possible and put as little as possible in, perfect example scottish parliament building and the dumb ass trams.

New leadership and a new philosophy whereby we all look for situations that everyone gains from, proper trading and growth/ development, we are no longer a rich country, we need to stop all the **** up greedy me me me selfish shit.

project
    Free Member

We have people running the country who have never been on a bus,let alone seen one built and probably think that engineering is something poor people do.

Theyre totally out of touch with real people just like some of you above.

footflaps

The UK has quite a strong Engineering led Export industry – BAE systems, Airbus, Rolls-Royce, car manufacture. Last time I looked it up we earn more from making things than from the City.

Two BBC series worth watching are Made in Britain (with Ewan Davies) and ‘How to Build’, they both make us Engineers quite proud to be British 🙂

edsbike
    Free Member

JLR: just in the past year have taken on 350 graduates, getting on for a few thousand experienced hires (engineers), and 2000 production staff in Solihull and Merseyside.

They are holding daily assessment centres and are struggling to hire new people fast enough to meet business needs.

brooess
    Free Member

We’re going thru one of the biggest shifts in power and wealth for centuries. We’ve had it rich since the industrial revolution and particularly since end of WW2 but the future doesn’t necessarily look like the past for us…
    Countries we used to give aid to and look down on are now gaining in wealth and political power.They’re willing and able to do stuff for a lot less money than us in the ‘rich’ world. They’ve got it all to win and they’re after the big prizes.
    There’s also a tonne of stuff which people used to do, which can now be automated/done by computers.
    IMHO it’s not a zero sum game, China still needs our creativity and innovation so they have stuff to make cheaply. They’re a collective society, they don’t do thinking for themselves like we do.
    Doesn’t mean we’re going to be poor but the way we create our wealth is going to have to change if we want any…
    But don’t expect our wealthy lifestyle that we’ve got rather too used to, to be sustained.
    Don’t expect politicans to know quite what to do about it and give over blaming the bankers and the ‘fat cats’, they’re as scared and unsure about it as we are. They didn’t see it coming and just like us they’d like to have maintained the status quo. It was quite nice really…

Think carefully about where the ops to earn a living are, create opportunities for yourself, get the experience and quals you need to be employable, be resourceful and don’t expect it to be done for you…

Quite interesting times really….

00soppd
    Free Member

I work for a large diesel engine manufacturer as a design engineer, i did a year long placement with them in between my 2nd and 3rd year at uni and am now back as a full time employee.

Automotive industry is crying out for engineers. JLR (Jag Land Rover) cant get enough engineers through the door at the moment.

Im lucky in the sense that the industry i was aiming to work in is booming, but I worked my arse off at uni and think im reaping the benefits now.

I have been out to recruitment fairs representing my company and it is seriously scary how many students are only waking up to the fact that their MA in history isnt going to get them a job very easily.

kaesae
    Free Member

Project we need control of our own lives more, however the rich are moving very quickly to consolidate thier power and give us less control.

If we haven’t seen enough to know that something has to change at this point, we will simply never get it!

binners

It’s ok. Don’t worry. The financial services industry will save the country. Like it did last time.

Oh… Ern… Hang on a minute….

lunge

I’m sorry Project but, speaking as someone whose job is to track the job market, there really are lots of jobs being created out there. Skilled people are increasingly difficult to find and large companies are bringing back appretice schemes to fill those gaps.

The “market” is as good as I have seen it for 5 years, there are jobs out there and there are more bring created. But, these jobs may not be where you live, you need to move around to find them.

anagallis_arvensis

So middleclasstrackworld is doing fine and the recession is a figment of somones imagination yes?

Junkyard
    Free Member

do we live in a different world?
    Some odd employers may be employing a few more and there may be a shortage of engineers of the calibre RR want but lets be honest there are f all jobs about at the minute in general.

A few exceptions wont alter this fact

Anyone who argues apprenticeships is the solution doe snot understand the issue

How many “apprentices ” leave college with the skills and unable to secure employment in the trade to which they have trained?
    You wont get a figure it so bad they wont even look at it
    Locally to me they produce more mechanics and hairdressers each year than their are people employed in those industries in the town the college serves.
    the same pattern is repeated in construction and engineering [ to a lesser degree]

Aye it is hard times for the majority of the country and apparently this is only 20 % of the actual cuts 😯

binners

Oh ‘eck! It’s all gone a bit Norman Tebbit!

Good job we’ve all got bikes to get on eh? 😀

grahamt1980

I have got 3 vacancies in my team alone at work. Its a challenge getting suitable people for us. Science cro here

project
    Free Member

JLR: just in the past year have taken on 350 graduates, getting on for a few thousand experienced hires (engineers), and 2000 production staff in Solihull and Merseyside.

They are holding daily assessment centres and are struggling to hire new people fast enough to meet business needs.

JLR OR TATA as theyre better known as, had 17,000 applications for a thousand assembly jobs, strangely a fellow cyclist just lost his job for an agency delivering new cars at the same company along with aload of his work collegues.

Then we have the iminent closure of Vauxhall on the opposite side of the mersey, thousands of jobs going there.

Brycey
    Free Member

I advertised for 35 Wind Turbine Technicians a few weeks back. The advert was open (so applications saved on the system) for about a week, and I got 1200 applications. Says a lot about the opportunities (or lack of them) out there I think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Recession and job loses,whens it going to end………………..’ is closed to new replies.