Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recently in dirt magazine….
  • sharki
    Free Member

…Rach Atherton was asked what invention she'd like to see in the mtb world.

She wanted a protective suit that would only become protective when her hands came off the bars, the rest of the time the suit would be un restrictive. Obviously there is complications with such a design, like wiping googles at the beginning of the run, falling off whilst holding onto the bike and doing no handers etc..

I thought a better design would be voice activated, you could pre programme it to activate(bloody quickly)to a personal command like. "OH F@@K!!"

Thoughts?
    And how.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It would be like an airbag in a car. Your mates could set it off by slapping you. That would be pretty funny 😀

Northwind

In the meantime she should probably just stop riding into pickup trucks.

"Oh ****" wouldn't work, I say that quite a lot when riding and I only crash some of the time. Maybe a dead man's cord like for an outboard? That's how the airbag leathers work for motorbikes if memory serves.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

Mine would be a self cooling baselayer, but presumably you'd have to wear a finned metal heatsink on your back.

I reckon I could go a lot faster with one of those.

shedfull
    Free Member

They've got airbags in motorcycle leathers. Can't see why a motocross style neck brace with airbag built in wouldn't work.

mangoridebike

I was a bit disappointed by that feature as none of the people came up with anything acheivable or realistic. it was all fantasy stuff, none of which was really insightful or particularly interesting

1nten5e
    Free Member

Not sure about the motorbike leathers system, on a motorbike you generally get thrown away from the bike so it works fine…..in quite a few of the crashes I've had on the mtb I'm still hold of at least one side of the bars at the time I hit the deck……possibly even still clipped in

MSP

mangoridebike – Member

I was a bit disappointed by that feature as none of the people came up with anything acheivable or realistic. it was all fantasy stuff, none of which was really insightful or particularly interesting

Hardly surprising, I watched seasons last night, and the biggest impression I got from the film was that pro mountain bikers should stick to riding bikes, and not be asked to talk about anything more complicated than the filling they would like on a sandwich.
    And even the top designers haven't come up with what would be considered a "game changer" in mountain bike designs for a long long time, everything just keeps getting a little better, "I would like a fork that is a little bit lighter, a little bit stiffer, and has a few more mm travel, than the fork I currently use" isn't much of an answer.

meehaja
    Free Member

less of a technological development, but i'd like to see high end helmets get cheaper. I always buy cheap helmets as I tend to break them (the last one fell of my handlebars after a CX race and I promptly rode over it!) but they are always really sweaty on my head. If I could have a helmet that was lightweight, well ventilated and still protected me well then I would wear a helmet a lot more.

Also, how about old technology being made better and more accessible, Hub gears are having a lot of investment and the Alfine is a big step forward for MTB's IMO, but what about dyno lights? they are available I know, but not at the kind of price/ practicality suitable for a lot of riders (read: Me.)

phil.w
    Free Member

in part that safety suit Rachel wants already exists. http://www.point-two.co.uk/

its designed to stop spine and neck injuries but the theory could be extended to offer arm / leg protection.

chakaping
    Free Member

If I had an achieveable or realistic idea for a fantastic new MTB invention and I was a top pro (with lots of contacts in the biz), I wouldn't give it away in Dirt mag.

I thought Nigel Page's idea was pretty good, for a sort of Super-4X event on DH bikes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought Nigel Page's idea was pretty good, for a sort of Super-4X event on DH bikes.

The mega?

Like the article itself, it all sounds a really good idea, but flawed.

chakaping
    Free Member

No, more like the supercross at the winter olympics that we all thought was really exciting.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

but what about dyno lights? they are available I know, but not at the kind of price/ practicality suitable for a lot of riders (read: Me.)

I'm hoping someone will do a 20mm axle dyno…I have a shimano one and it;s ace but QR only. With LED tech it's definitely feasible to be self-sufficient for light & power now.

Saw that inflatable suit thing work for a horsey type on the tv – shw went straight over the bars (head) and landed on her back (from further up than a bike of course) but got straight back on. Impressive.

MrAgreeable

My fantastic MTB idea is a Camelbak bladder that doesn't turn into an unstable watery sausage when you fill it up. Achievable, realistic, and dull as ditchwater.

chiefgrooveguru

The self-inflating body protectors as used by cross country (confusingly the extreme sports end of equine stuff, the opposite of MTBing) horse riders are very impressive in action. They also have excellent comedy value when a rider dismounts having forgotten to disconnect the ripcord – cue michelin man effect…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recently in dirt magazine….’ is closed to new replies.