Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 165 total)
  • Recent Sci-Fi films you have enjoyed/endured
  • ulysse
    Free Member

Trying to remember the Redanka tune that used dark city samples throughout..
    Edit : right genre wrong producer, it’s Quivver… [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XwSK4ewypA[/video]

ElShalimo

Watched Chappie on NetFlix t’other day. It was okay but I was completely distracted by the two moronic half-wits from Die Antwoord. But Hugh Jackman’s haircut was the true star of the show. It was compelling viewing!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Watched The Book of Eli earlier, that was quite good.

rmacattack
    Free Member

just give dark city a whirl. im not sure at all.

mikey74
    Free Member

I thought Dark City was superb.

thecroust
    Free Member

Thanks people for the Monsters recommendation, just watched it and loved it.

I’d also like to put Soylent Green and They Live on the list for oldies, and The Matrix for slightly more recent (ignore the sequels though).

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ ulysse – Yeah but this version had Event Horizon samples. John Graham aka Skanna.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVpPhCJ4fA[/video]

colournoise

Dark City is great, but suffers (wrongly IMO) in comparison to The Matrix which came out soon after and touches on some of the same themes (IIRC The Matrix reused some sets from Dark City). Dark City didn’t have the visual innovation of The Matrix and so gets overlooked – a mistake.

Northwind

DezB – Member

Now hang on.. is no-one really going to admit to seeing Ghost In The Shell??

Saw it, thought it was good- actually, very good. Told its story coherently and mostly confidently, had some brilliant visuals and locations, some strong performances… Actually i just wish they’d got rid of the damn silly spider-tank.

(though, <spoiler>, changing the outcome of that fixed the one thing I most disliked about the manga, the stupid pull-your-own-arms-off-for-no-reason thing.)

(ChrisL wisely points out that while it’s not a completely loyal remake, that’s totally in keeping with the existing ghost in the shell material, there’s already been retellings and changes of direction.)

I get the feeling that everyone who got offended about “whitewashing” hadn’t seen the original manga, since Scarlett Johansson just straight up looks like the Major, who as’s been observed is a robot body and not explicitly asian… (you literally see her face getting removed and her skin getting 3d printed ffs) and everyone that got offended about the plot changes had only seen the original manga and none of the other stuff.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I thought Rogue One was shite.

I saw it three times at t’cinema – does that bring balance to t’force?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you not think it was just a crappy kids movie ?

Anyway, Shirley we’re on countdown to the 26th now..

Kryton57

I watched the new Star Trek yesterday. I missed any “plot” there was with the Spock thing as I was with the kids and constabtaly interupted, but it seemed a bit more space/nasty alien/kirk saves the day US style than usual. Zoe Salanda as always is a good watch, Zach Quinto seems to have grown into Spock a bit more, some good effects and an interesting twist. I’ll watch it again just to pick up on the Spock background story.

Nothing deep, a bit late evening entertainment value that’s all really

ulysse
    Free Member

John Graham’s had a lot of musical Alteregos, Chester, one of the best “versions” being part of the genius behind “Tilt”
    Great mix there btw

Lifer
    Free Member

Didn’t get very far with Dark City due to Kiefer Sutherland in one of the worst performances in movie history.

Northwind

The only thing I remember about Dark City is that we watched it on a basic projector with a white screen in a lecture theatre, so it wasn’t very dark

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up about Legion. I’d not heard of it and am enjoying it immensely.

rmacattack
    Free Member

i think i could suffer/enjoy/endure ghost in the shell, purely for scarlett.

footflaps

Surprised no one has mentioned Disney’s The Black Hole. Bit of a guilty pleasure, I watch it every year or so and still really enjoy it – even if it was a kid’s / family film….

Excellent score by John Barry….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUJJKDa558[/video]

Whole film is on Youtube as well..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Now Alien trailer out. Oh Lordy!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’d also like to put Soylent Green

you mean ‘Farenheit 451’?

What, Oh Lordy! in a Woooooo! sort of way, or Oh Lordy! in an Oh God No Make It Stop Now kind of way?

whitestone
    Free Member

I endured about half of Guardians of the Galaxy at the weekend. If I’d gone to the cinema to see it I’d have asked for my money back. As my wife pointed out: I’m probably about 50 years older than the target audience.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I met the lead animatronics guy who did all the models on Prometheus and Arrival and Harry Potter (all of them) at the weekend.
    Fascinating bloke.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve just watched ‘Passengers’ – what great big pile of horse shite that was.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yup Passengers was by the numbers dog shit. Bastards suckered me in to a wuv story 😐

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Malvern strikes again with his recommendation Edge of Tomorrow, that was a decent enough romp. He’s more than a bit suspect where style and/or bikes are concerned though 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I endured about half of Guardians of the Galaxy at the weekend. If I’d gone to the cinema to see it I’d have asked for my money back. As my wife pointed out: I’m probably about 50 years older than the target audience.

Correct assessment. I made 5 mins,

chesterproclaimeth:

He’s more than a bit suspect where style and/or bikes are concerned though

Correct assessment 😀

Which reminds me, I wish there was a sci-fi film part of every person’s life where a Raleigh Stowaway is an actual time-machine back to the 1970s UK. And then if you can find a 1930s Chinese bike you can back to the 1930s China, etc, etc. You could actually find a 1990s Schwinn and cycle back to the movie-set of Wayne’s World, pull a massive broadsideskiddie-stop and say ‘Schwinnnng!’ to Tia Carerre. If you want to go back to before there were bikes then you have to use one of those other (boring) time machines.

sparkyrhino

Watched Hardcore Henry the other day(nope not grot).Really enjoyed the non stop violence(nope still not grot)

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Malvern Rider – I understand a return to the 70’s is on the cards, no need for an obscure time travel bicycle.

No superheroes, zombies, or teenage vampires, I’m ooooouuut.

You could pitch your idea to Blue Hippo, you never know 😉

Northwind

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last night. Well it’s not really scifi but let’s not get into that or Margaret Atwood’ll come round and argue us all to death.

And yeah, really good! Ropey pacing, random changes of tone, overuse of running jokes not all of which were any good… But lovely to look at, great fun, best mass murder committed by a hero for ages. I can see where most of the criticism comes from, and it doesn’t have the same feel as the original but still massively enjoyed it. Lots of Firefly and Fifth Element in it.

strawman
    Free Member

Finally watched under the skin. I personally enjoyed it, gave it my own bizarre rating of 10/10. It’s clever and engaging.

somafunk

Yup, under the skin is definitely a marmite film, personally I love it and still get unsettled every time I watch it so that makes it a good film

strawman
    Free Member

Haha, a marmite film. Good term.

sirromj

Thought first Guardians of the Galaxy was better than 2nd. Wouldn’t intentionally go to see either unless work hadn’t paid for it, first was enjoyable, second was got just a bit too ridiculous.

Got half way through Life (2017) last night. Too tired to be bothered to finish it. Struggled with the crew’s complete lack of concern about the single-cell becoming an organism overnight and that each cell is simultaneously nerve/muscle/photo-receptor. Nothing to worry about, really? The 2nd death was a little different take on things. Fairly derivative of Alien.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Life.

Life is really really good.

DezB
    Free Member

Arf! Worse film I’ve seen since Ghost in The Shell. Probably worse the GitS (ha! Gits!) too.

kimbers

strawman – Member
    Finally watched under the skin. I personally enjoyed it, gave it my own bizarre rating of 10/10. It’s clever and engaging.

great film!

I saw Man of Steel at the weekend, reviews were quite poor so my expectations were low
    and there were some silly elements
    but on the whole it was a really enjoyable sci-fi romp rather than a superhero film

Cougar

Yup, under the skin is definitely a marmite film, personally I love it and still get unsettled every time I watch it so that makes it a good film

I thought it was pretty dull, TBH. So Marmitey indeed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Latest long haul viewing update

Logan – really rather good! Ending got a bit soppy, but the middle piece on growing old/mortality was great.
    Deadpool – repeat for me, but still fun. Next Bond as the baddie as well.
    Xxx The return of Xander Cage – as bad as you can imagine. Was rather drunk by that stage, though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another update, after latest long haul jaunt (Couple of weeks ago)

Passengers – Lovely to look at, but oh my….how utterly dull and predictable
    Life – As above, really. Dull.
    Kong, Skull Island – Hiddlestone posted that one in from long distance. Remarkably dull!

However, Lego Batman movie made me chuckle!

garage-dweller

Suspicious that flashy really only posted to remind us of his job as the jet setting vice president of nearly new paperclips and biros.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Recent Sci-Fi films you have enjoyed/endured’ is closed to new replies.