Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)
  • Recent Sci-Fi films you have enjoyed/endured
  • unovolo
    Free Member

Watched ‘Doctor Strange’ last night and thought Benedict comebag was quite good, there again I will watch pretty much anything.

funkmasterp

Is Stakeland sci-fi or dystopian fantasy? Either way it’s a good low budget apocalyptic road movie.

redthunder
    Free Member

Just watched

Earth v the Flying Saucers

Quite good for, I think 1958.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

Arrival. Saw it at the local Odeon. It’s not often you get an entire public cinema audience pay silent attention from the beginning to the end of a film.

Absolutely brilliant. Minimum of “alien invasion things going bang”. Maximum thoughtfulness with central concept.

Just how DO you communicate with giant split-fingered hands that write in ink blots?

Renting streaming available next weekend. 😀

drlex
    Free Member

If you liked Arrival, you may well enjoy the short story on which it was based.

(PDF link)

PrinceJohn

Source Code – Duncan Jones’ film before Moon, good until the end.

strawman
    Free Member

Yes, Source Code is a decent film.

retro83
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member
    Shit actually Ex Machina was properly amazing!

Do watch the modern remake of West World if you liked Ex Machina.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do watch the modern remake of West World if you liked Ex Machina.

Box set is lined up for my return flights! I need to stay awake for a long time, hoping for good things.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Westworld is excellent. All 10 in one sitting, you’re a brave man.

Automata was worth a watch.

Every other scifi I’ve seen lately is already in this thread…

<edit> …except Zero Theorum. Quite good, but you’d better like Gilliam’s style (Brazil particularly, Dr Parnassus mostly), otherwise it’d be a pain to watch.

dc2.0

Just read the first page and scrolled forward to recommend Westworld but see I’ve been beaten to it.

One of the best things I’ve seen in a while.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Suggestions noted thank you.

Passengers was also suggested by a friend so that will definitely get a watch.

Will read the short story when I get chance.

Yeah 10 Cloverfield Lane was not bad.

Chappie not a euphemism/dwarf pron or Charlie Chaplin biopic.

Black Swan, not Sci-Fi. Who knew a simplistic man could tolerate ballet! Although the main themes could be applied to other vocations I suppose.

Metroplois (1927) is always quoted as influential and Videodrome as mentioned both of which I’ve not yet seen.

Forbidden Planet (1956) long before I was born has always been a favourite of mine, the Theremin not so much!

Oh and the cheesy Saturn 3 (1980) with that big laughably slow lumbering robot you could just push over or run rings round. Could probably stand a grit-o-vision re-make shudders 😆

PrinceJohn

Your comments on Saturn 3 just reminded me of silent running, the 70s Disney movie, with Huey, Duey and Luey…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Monsters (the sci-fi) movie about the alien ship that lands on the Mexican border ?
    I liked that, there was suspense until the last 15mins and it built tension through out.

And I’ve recently bought Arrival as it’s now released on DVD, I’ve watched it again a couple of times and now I wish that the last 20mins were more spaced out, the sequences of recalling memories not yet made was a bit slammed together and rushed..

ExMachina has been mentioned on many sci-fi movie threads, it’s a particularly good film that will become more cult as time goes on.
    One of the best scenes :
    [video]https://youtu.be/BxXlPULqYN0[/video]

mikey74
    Free Member

Is Stakeland sci-fi or dystopian fantasy? Either way it’s a good low budget apocalyptic road movie.

Not sci-fi, but a good film, nonetheless.

Anyone mentioned Monsters (the sci-fi) movie about the alien ship that lands on the Mexican border ?

I almost didn’t recognise the film from your description there. I assume you mean the one where a couple have to travel across the quarantine zone? Excellent film.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes that’s the one. Sadly being called “monsters” places it alongside kids movies and cartoon and such.

It’s well worth downloading ..

[video]https://youtu.be/QmR-l3y_coo[/video]

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Black Swan, not Sci-Fi. Who knew a simplistic man could tolerate ballet! Although the main themes could be applied to other vocations I suppose.

See also The Wrestler.

bikebouy
    Free Member

These two are as good now as they were back then..

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Contact was ace and I reckon Arrival has Some similarities.

An old favourite of mine is Starship Troopers. Nuts film.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Couldn’t see if it had been recommended as yet but I’ve been enjoying watching Helix on Netflix of late. it’s roughly based on John Carpenters The Thing. This review from IMBD summed it up quite well.

Helix is a strange show. The show is both deadly serious and deliciously satiric, as exemplified by the title sequence where blood drips to the tune of elevator music. At times this unique mixture works; at others it becomes farcical. Helix is about a virus that breaks out in a mysterious science facility located deep in the Arctic. The virus causes humans to become violent zombies; a group of scientists (our protagonists) are sent to control the situation.

The show’s modus operandi is to gradually reveal layer after layer of conspiracy and intrigue behind the virus, all while people die in variously horrible ways. The acting is relatively poor; the characters are fairly uninteresting; the plot-twists can be somewhat ludicrous. And yet, the show’s macabre sense of humor and wonderfully absurd plot are appealing. How many shows gleefully display the explosion of rats in a microwave oven? Moreover, the facility isolated in the Arctic provides a perfect stage for violence and horror. As an enjoyable late-night diversion, Helix succeeds.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’d dismissed the remake of ghost in the shell due to the casting of Scarlett Johanssen as Major Kusanagi but it’s looking pretty good from the trailers though I’m going to wait for the reviews before going to watch it.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Disco_stu, I’ve been watching a few of the Tested vids on Youtube and they’ve shown the costumes design and costumes being made at Weta. regardless of who is in the film the design looks absolutely amazing. I can’t wait to see the finished product

slimjim78
    Free Member

Bit more old school/obscure… but try:

Silent Running (Bruce Dern)
    Zardoz (Sean Connery)
    Starman (Jeff Bridges)
    Saturn 3 (Kirk Douglas)

Question: do zombie movies count as sci-fi?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Watched ‘Elysium’ again last night with Mrs

So good, in a comic-strip fashion. The baddie was so bad that when his (spoiler) got (spoilered) off, I actually shouted for joy but then of course (spoiled)

Followed it up with another Matt Damon special – ‘The Adjustment Bureau’. Suppose would categorise it a rom-com-sci-fantasy (?)

An enjoyable romp anyway. Surprisingly good chemistry between the leads. We both agreed that Ms Blunt was ‘annoying’. Albeit in sometimes differing ways 😈 🙂

Daffy

Surprised that District 9 hasn’t been mentioned.

Daffy

The Martian is great, the book (apart from the ending) is even better.

slimjim78
    Free Member

The Martian is shit.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Europa Report is pretty good in a fairly low-budget way.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The Martian is shit.

A scathing (if economical) minimicro-review, or Tourettes? 😉

I really enjoyed it. Splodeytaters and all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite enjoyed The Martian.

Didn’t watch Westworld. Got drunk and watched The Accountant (Better than expected), Eddie the Eagle (fairly enjoyable fluff) and The Huntsman (dross!)

slimjim78
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, Damon is usually watchable and the story is very good (hence great book reviews I suppose) but the shower of shit movie completely detached itself from the theme of sheer isolation and desperation and became a (shit) disco soundtracked Hollywood tug fest. Major pacing issues.
    It was basically Cast Away in Space – yet Ridley Scott took no cues as to how to deliver such a time scape

vinnyeh

Mention of a tv series of John Wyndam’s ‘Chocky’, which I’d never heard of, on the radio the other day made me hunt down a copy of it (as yet unwatched), but at the same time I picked up Village of the Damned- I’d remembered it was good, but I’d forgotten how good. Quite chilling.

Just started re-watching Fringe as well- John Noble is cracking as Walter Bishop. If you’ve not seen it before, well worth watching, especially after the first season when it hits its stride with parallel universes and alternate timelines.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Is anyone watching Legion ? The FX channel show being run on Fox? Bloody crazy yet captivating.

IMDB

richmtb

Recent movies I’ve enjoyed: Arrival and Ex Machina were both excellent

TV: The Expanse (its a bit meh) there’s the bones of an interesting story in it somewhere

Westworld is mostly excellent, really well made with an interesting premise about humanity, consiousness and pre-destination

Ascension is a good bit of fun, only six episodes but worth a watch.

Fortitude is as mad as a box of frogs but well made and has a good cast, contains some of the most disturbing images you are likely to see though

nickc

Under the skin is reasonably good for low budget weirdness

koldun
    Free Member

Roger Corman’s Death Race 2050.

Far better than the remake rubbish.

strawman
    Free Member

Chocky……not heard of that in a good while. Would be great to see it reworked. The original is quite eerie and from what I remember it was on when I got home from school. I could be wrong here though that was about 30 years ago.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think we did District 9 in another thread on the same topic (this topic seems to come around every month or so)

District 9 is an excellent piece of work, in replacing apartheid SA with Aliens was an excellent idea. It should be one of the greats in my book.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Under the skin is reasonably good for low budget weirdness

It’s in my top ten films period. It’s utter genius.

senorj

Guardians of the Galaxy .
    I know it’s not recent ,but no love for
    “the chronicles of riddick”?!
    Btw I loved Chocky ,there was a sequel Chocky’s children , but I missed that…
    And plus 1 for “contact”.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Recent Sci-Fi films you have enjoyed/endured’ is closed to new replies.