Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recent BBC Storyville, anybody else been watching?
  • bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Has anybody else been watching the most recent run of Storyville on BBC4?

Its been a really varied watch this season from the mad $100 million house and bizarre family building it and how their fortune collapses, mad vintage circus footage just set over music and this weeks amazing story telling of a guy on death row.

Highly recommend any of them if you want something different to watch.

hels
    Free Member

I just watched the one about the death row guy. You wouldn’t think a guy talking to camera for 90 mins could be so riveting. I’m not ashamed to say that I cried openly a couple of times.

I must catch the rest of them – assume they are on BBC iPLayer.

devash
    Free Member

The circus one was absolutely incredible. I think the music was specially composed by some members of an Icelandic band called Sigur Ros.

I started watching the death row one but couldn’t quite get into it. Might give it another try this weekend though.

hels
    Free Member

It is worth it devash. Starts slowly, but really builds towards the end, with a proper scorpion like twist in the tale, I won’t ruin it for you but worth the effort.

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t know it was on again.

I usually record them and spend ages getting round to watching them ‘cos they sound a bit dull – but then find them absolutely riveting.

Still working through last series TBH. Will check out.

atlaz
    Free Member

Storyville is usually excellent if you approach it with an open mind. The documentaries seem to be chosen to be less sensationalist than the usual TV fodder

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Was the $100 million house the The Queen of Versailles one? I saw that last year, as some of the current season are repeats, and it was such amazing car crash viewing. I felt the police should have come and put barriers around my TV.

The best one I have seen of late, think it was made in 2014, was the one about Russian prisons. Holy **** that was grim/fascinating.

Although, the pure audaciousness of The Great Gangster Film Fraud was pretty fun. HRMC didn’t come out of that one looking too clever.

I think what I am saying is they are nearly universally fantastic documentaries.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I watched one about the Mexican drug cartels. Holy f++k, that was eye-opening and not in a good way…

Creg

Watched the Death Row one the other night, very good indeed.

The one about K2 and the climbers was very good too and well worth a watch.

shermer75
    Free Member

Big fan of Storyville, some great stuff on there

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recent BBC Storyville, anybody else been watching?’ is closed to new replies.