• This topic has 41 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Received some skis I haven't ordered – what to do ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I got home tonight to find that my neighbour has accepted a package for me.

Its actually a set of K2 skis with bindings. The box is definitely labelled to me with my address. However there is no delivery note/invoice.

Its from a company I have recently bought some ski boots from, so I have checked my order history and there is nothing there apart from the boots.

They are ok skis, not skis I would use, so I would end up selling if I get to keep them.

So, I am in the process of writing them an email saying they can come and pick them up at a time convenient for me ie when I am not at work.

Is this a reasonable thing to do, or if they have sent them to me are they now mine?

What would you do?

Ta

tthew

I would e-mail them. What would you want someone else to do if you sent them some costly stuff by mistake?

geoffj

Oh, that’s where they went. I’ll pop round later tonight for them.

clunker

Do the right thing

sharkbait
    Free Member

…. and book a holiday.

rene59
    Free Member

What I would do? – try them on and pretend I am skiing down my hall.

What you should do? – leave them as is until company comes and picks them up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just sent them an email. Is it reasonable for me to say they can come and pick them up after 6pm Monday – Friday or at the weekend?

I cant see why I should have any hassle for it to be resolved…

rene59
    Free Member

No collect+ or similar locally they can use?

scotroutes

That’s fine. It’s their mistake and no call for you to be inconvenienced (unless they want to compensate you). Give them a deadline and just tell them that, once that expires, you’ll be disposing of them.

Cougar

Go skiing.

Legally, a company sending you unsolicited goods is considered a gift (to stop them then invoicing you for them). However, the right thing to do would be to contact them and offer to let them collect.

aracer
    Free Member

Legally to be considered a gift, the company sending has to intend the recipient to acquire them, so in this case the law is in accordance with the right thing to do (which it appears is what the OP has done).

MoreCashThanDash

Just hypothetically like, do you have a long straight set of stairs? 8)

With a bit of a runoff at the bottom… 😳

eddie11
    Free Member

the first thing i would have done is kept this to myself and not posted about it on stw… 👿

Edric64
    Free Member

Having been brung up proper I would have phoned the company and arranged the return or taken them to the post office if they sent me a returns label

andy8442
    Free Member

Anywhere between 168cm -175cm and I’ll have them. No but seriously……I’ll have them!

Stoner
    Free Member

I got two Spiderman* DVDs in the post the other day. I only ordered and paid for one. I sent an email to the seller who very decently thanked me for my honesty and said that the hassle and return postage made it no sense to return, so I could keep it. It is now in the PTA nearly new sales box at skool.

For these goods deeds I expect to be sat at the right hand of Kiera Knightly when I arrive in heaven.

* for Stoner Jr Jr you understand 😳

peter1979
    Free Member

eddie11 – Member

the first thing i would have done is kept this to myself and not posted about it on stw…

this +1

I had a sofa delivered and accepted once on an order for which I had cancelled. It turned into a nightmare to get it sorted out. I posted on here about, was labeled all sorts by the STW righteous. Once i ended up keeping it and paid for it, it never felt the same.

andyl
    Free Member

You decision should be based on whether any snow is forecast? Handy to have a pair of skis you don’t mind wrecking doing silly things around town. Always fancied skiing down park street in bristol 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looks like I will hopefully get rid of them today. Dropping them at a local couriers store.

Its a shame the shop in question are not more polite, they haven’t said thank you once yet, and was kind of hoping they may give a voucher etc.

But hay

user-removed
    Free Member

Snap ’em in half to save their postage costs then.

gavmtb
    Free Member

I ordered a laptop from CeX and they muddled up my package with someone elses, meaning I ended up with a £33 xbox drumkit and someone paid £33 for a decent spec laptop …

Speaking to their customer service manager he said legally the guy is allowed to keep the laptop and their is nothing than can do about it, apart from send me a replacement laptop at their expense. So someone got an early xmas present!!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Just send one back until they say thanks!

Woody
    Free Member

If they make mistakes like that and haven’t the decency to say thanks properly (you have been inconvenienced) I would be keeping a check to make sure they haven’t ‘accidentally’ billed whichever debit/credit card you bought your boots with.

jools182
    Free Member

No thanks, no skis 🙂

sandwicheater

Karma will have your back. Next tricky/big jump you come accross you can now ‘hit’ with full gusto safe in the knowledge nothing can go wrong. 8)

cliffyc
    Free Member

Sounds like they used Postcode Finder and clicked your property in error, I live in what used to be an old mill complex (circa 1700s) so there are a lot of holiday lets and cottages around me so I get next doors post and parcels mis-delivered if it’s not the usual postie!. A bit rough that they were not a little more grateful for your help FunkyDunk! 🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Right getting cheesed off with them now. Have been waiting all day for them to send a returns label to be sent to me.

Emailed asking to sort. Rang them 1hr ago saying not received, please sort asap as I want to get them sent, and the started asking me to check my mail, must be an issue at my end. The boss who was dealing with it wouldn’t even speak to me on the phone, its obviously not that important that they get them back?

Feel like telling them to do one now…

scotroutes

They know you have them so need to go out of your way. If they really want them back, let them do the chasing. Email them to say that if they’ve not been picked up within two weeks you’ll dispose of them as you see fit.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Tell them you’ll leave them out in the rain for THEM to pick up. When I used work in a LBS we we would get a forward order called-off too early so as the rep got his targets (naming no names…. TERK maybe…..),so gaffer just phoned and told them we did not want them until the agreed date and they were getting wet stood outside in the rain… Carrier van usually arrived but quick after that!. Hope you get this sorted soon…. 😕

geoffj

They know you have them so need to go out of your way. If they really want them back, let them do the chasing. Email them to say that if they’ve not been picked up within two weeks you’ll dispose of them as you see fit.

+1

Smudger666

Similar thing today – Hermes delivered a copy of pink floyd, wish you were here on vinyl – I checked the last guy I bought from and he also does records so I emailed him.

THEN I checked on eBay and the bloody thing is going for £48 with an hour to go! For a record?

Anyway, I have a warm smug glow at doing the right thing,

cb

Your original plan was correct, however, they are now arses! I wouldn’t talk to them again – just chuck the damn things in the garage and wait until a reasonable time has passed and then “dispose” of them…via ebay obviously. If I were the shop owner I’d be sending you something for your trouble and remembering my thank yous.

EDIT – just got a parcel myself and pretty disappointed that it is something that I ordered and paid for…how dull.

Cougar

Have been waiting all day for them to send a returns label to be sent to me.

Tell them they’re in your way and if they don’t collect them in a timely manner you’re going to charge them storage at £15/day backdated to the date of delivery, and if they haven’t collected within 14 days you’ll assume it’s a gift and keep them.

JohnnyPanic

Do you have an old MTB frame lying around doing nothing?
    If so you have the ingredients for… a Snow Bike 🙂

cb

Well? What happened?

GrahamS

Sorted.

Cougar

Well? What happened?

He got some skis and it was all downhill from there.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Well? What happened?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I just had a voice mail from them about 30 mins ago

‘We have noticed from our tracking that the skis havent been dropped off yet’ All very polite etc etc

Erm no because you never gave me the courier details.

I will respond by email, but not sure whether to give them another chance or not ??

IA

I’d think by this point they could come and collect them, at a time that suits you? If that’s in the evening, so be it, I’m sure they can find a courier to do it at a price.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Received some skis I haven't ordered – what to do ?’ is closed to new replies.