Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend YOU a commute backpack (obsessional kit content).
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve had an Ortlieb “Vario” for a couple of days now – old North Face pack finally got too ratty to use.

So: 15 minutes in an absolute shagging downpour and everything inside was bone dry. No “up and over” zip to let in the water – simple solution of rolling up the top which then velcros into place. No need to ride around with the word “Hump” on your back…

It’s a pannier bag that converts to a backpack, but I’m using it as a backpack (wouldn’t fit on the Brompton). Massively comfortable, even when packed solid – the back rest is semi-detached from the bag itself, so isn’t affected by the rigidity of full packing.

Very light, but strong. Internal bracing means even with a few heavy items in the bottom, it won’t sag and get uncomfortable.

Two “pocket” enclosures inside for bits and pieces, otherwise it’s just one big space for everything else – no compartments.

Pricey, mind – but it’ll likely last for a good few years. Maybe even longer than I will.

Recommended. 😀

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2401

footflaps

I used to use Ortleib panniers and they were very impressive in terms of waterproofness.

kimbers

at that price id expect it to massage my spine as i ride

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s pricey but – twice a day, five days a week all year round in all weathers? Got to be worth it as a long-term investment, I reckon.

saxabar
    Free Member

I use the less attractive version of those; the one’s that couriers use. Never had a water issue, but still a bit pricey at the £60 mark. No panels or pockets, but enough space for clothes and whatnot.

simon_g

Looks nice, but I question the sanity of a Brompton rider spending £100 on a bit of luggage that doesn’t clip on the front. It works brilliantly, and you don’t get a sweaty back.

allthepies
    Free Member

Think I’ll stick with the rucksack and “hump” cover I’ve been using for a few years successfully rather than shell out over a ton for that.

footflaps

My Ortleib panniers are still waterproof after 8 years of daily commute…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend YOU a commute backpack (obsessional kit content).’ is closed to new replies.