Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reccommend me a chain breaker
  • fathomer

The cheap one I currently use has about had it and my birthday is coming up.

So, after recommendations for a nice new workshop chain breaker.

Also, am I right in saying 9/10 speed ones will break an 11 speed, just not reconnect them?

Thanks.

fathomer

Anyone before I take a punt?

edhornby

Park tools or pedros

wwaswas

I’ve been very happy with the workshop Park Tool one I have, no idea which model it is though, sorry.

spacemonkey

I broke a barely used Park one a few years ago but replaced it with another. Have probably been a tad more ‘accurate’ when using it, hence this one is still going strong.

miranmtb
    Free Member

Park Tool CT-3.2 here, a bit more money but works great.

jimw
    Free Member

I have had a Park Tool CT5. Use it all the time at home with bikes on workstand and yet small enough to be in my pack.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

There’s quite a bit of satisfaction about a chain tool bending and snapping before your very eyes yet something equally frustrating.

mattyfez

Halfords bike Hut branded one is perfectly good, I was gonna get a topeak one and asked the guy, he recommended the slightly cheaper bike Hut one, im perfectly happy with it, used it a few times now.

robhughes
    Free Member

I can recommend this.Comes with spare pins and a screwy thing that buts up to the chain underneath to keep everything tight when popping pins.Solid as well.
    link
    Mini one as well for the bag.
    link

orangeboy
    Free Member

The older park one ct3 I think I like the newer 3.2 I don’t

Best one I’ve used is the genuine shimano one but not cheap

fathomer

Going to go with the Park C3.2 I think, I’m not paying for it and it’ll hopefully last forever.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have both the Park Tool CT 3.2 and the CT 5. I never use the CT3.2.

The CT 5 pin stops winding in before the pin drops out the chain plate making it more fool proof for trail use in bad light.
    I use this as my workshop tool as well for the same above reason.
    Also, it’s tiny so travels very well.

The CT 3.2 will keep winding in until the chain pin drops out the far plate, which can be a pain in the back side of your not paying attention to where it goes.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I have an old ct5 with a black pin. It’s great and works really well. I particularly like how it doesn’t let you push the chain pin all the way out. I have a newer ct5 and a ct3 with a chromed pin and the pins are always bending.

I was given a brinzmann workshop chain tool and it is good so far.

tonyg2003

I have the Shimano chain tool which is a good alternative the Park tool. It’s very well constructed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have an old ct5 with a black pin. It’s great and works really well. I particularly like how it doesn’t let you push the chain pin all the way out.

Which, as far as I can see, is more of a disadvantage than an advantage!!
    Who uses a chain that you need to push the pin back into these days? Push the pun all the way out and chuck a quick link or joining pin in. Simples. 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Surely though Pete, if you are concerned with whether the pin is still in the outer plate or not, you are trying to use the magic link in the wrong end of the chain.

But to answer your question, any Shimano chain where the end user didn’t arrive with a magic link and the shops are shut already.

I do my bike building in my shed, not a professional workshop.

Oh, did you get your On One frame fixed?

tang
    Free Member

Ive got a birzman wooden handled one that someone gave me, not bad.

richardthird

XLC Multifunction ratchet jobbie from Halfrauds, brilliant, effortless, comes with spare pins. Big and heavy so not very portable though.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/tools/xlc-multi-function-chain-breaker-tool

£19 and 3for2

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reccommend me a chain breaker’ is closed to new replies.