Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reccommend me a 12v trickle charge(possible solar) for a camper van!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Main battery seems to be discharging itself over a long period of time, so i have been thinking about getting a solar pannelled charger anyone used one?
    I have a leisure batteryso will help topping that up to.
    1.Do you have to disconnect the leads
    2. Where from how much

trail_rat
    Free Member

not just easier to get your self a new battery and or alternator or is it dodgy wiring thats the issue 😉

just a thought – rather than trying to prolong the life of the old kit to find your self stuck in the middle of no where ….

coffeeking
    Free Member

not just easier to get your self a new battery and or alternator or is it dodgy wiring thats the issue

He said long periods of time, presuming he's not talking about driving it about, so no chance of a new alt and battery helping out much? 😉

Incidentally those small panels you can buy (10"x4") do bugger all, can't even hold a charge against a basic alarm system drain.

faint
    Free Member

I bought one of the small ones from Maplin (1.4W) it's not big enough as coffeeking mentions. you could join a few together or just get a bigger version, not sure at what stage you'll get into charge control but the small one can just be left connected.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how long is along time …..

left my car for 4 months with a good battery – started on the button.

left it for 2 weeks with a dying battery and it wouldnt start ..

postierich
    Free Member

Alternator checked and battery so looks like a slight drain somewhere and I have been all over the bus!!!
    Like I said will be good aswell to keep the leisure battery topped up when camping.
    An ideal one would be solar/mains

Van is being used couple of times a week but no great distance!ie 6 miles

Rich

geoffj

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. A decent autoelectrician should be able to sort and find it without too much difficulty. I'd be getting it sorted TBH. I've seen the remains of a few VWs that have set fire to themselves.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reccommend me a 12v trickle charge(possible solar) for a camper van!’ is closed to new replies.