Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reccommend a good basic 1 x 10 setup.
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

I’m currently running a 2 x 10 XT setup, but am interested in dropping a ring. I guess for a weakling like myself, the choice of ring size would be 30, 32, 34T. I’m guessing there are tougher single rings that replace the ones with shifting ramps? Are there any 30 rings to fit the current XT cranks, and would it fit in middle or granny position? What chain retention device/system would you use? Are there different chains for single chain rings?
    Your ideal setup, components and reasoning please.
    Cheers.

daleftw
    Free Member

I would, and have, take off the granny ring. Done.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

3 x 10

A 1 x 10 gives such crap ratios jumps you can only select either a “Climbing” or “Flat” or “Downhill” setup.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Clutch mech, 32t unramped ring+bash, 11-36t cassette. Hope top chain guide. That’s what I did anyway and it’s very nice.

chambord
    Free Member

A 1 x 10 gives such crap ratios jumps you can only select either a “Climbing” or “Flat” or “Downhill” setup.

Actually mine (1×9, 32t, 11-32) doesn’t even really give a “Downhill” setup, but I prefer it to 3×9 for its simplicity and the fact I don’t need to worry about hitting my big chainring on anything anymore.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m guessing there are tougher single rings that replace the ones with shifting ramps?

yep, some are thicker, some have longer teeth to aid chain retention and can be cheaper than ramped ones.

Are there any 30 rings to fit the current XT cranks, and would it fit in middle or granny position?

not sure about 30, but definitely 32+

What chain retention device/system would you use? Are there different chains for single chain rings?

a bash guard and a tight chain should suffice
    or something like an e13 XCX chain device (superstar do a cheap version)

whether there are enough ratios for your riding will depend on the terrain you’re riding

I have 1×9 on all three MTBs (XC suss, XC hardtail, DH) but live in the flatlands of the south east. although I’ve managed riding in peaks, wales, yorkshire, scotland on just one ring.

daleftw
    Free Member

Actually, I’m selling a Superstar one

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=362

Don’t need it on my 1 x 10 setup so it’s just sitting in the shed.

wonderchump
    Free Member

I realise you’re Shimano but I’ve gone 32t MRP Bling Ring, Paul Chain-Keeper and SRAM Type 2 (clutch) Mech… Never misses a beat, quiet as you like and I ride Calderdale all day long with this set up on a Cotic Soul.

Works Components (google them) do a 104 BCD ring with XX1 style teeth (to retain the chain) for your cranks with an appropriate offset to keep the chain-line sweet. I’m told you don’t need a chain device for this with a clutch type mech. Hope, Renthal and Absolute Black also do decent chainrings that will fit on your Shimano spider although these are conventional non-ramped teeth.

1×10 needs commitment – I decided to go that way to increase my fitness as I don’t have a choice but to spin up. I’ll gradually increase chain-ring size as capability allows.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stick with your existing 32t chainring for starters if money is tight.

I’m using a standard Deore one and it never falls off – with a clutch mech and MRP 1x chain device.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I want to run a 28 up front ad it’s hilly where I am. I’ve picked up a cheap 2nd hand x9 crank, removed the spider and waiting for the Wolftooth direct mount 28t rings to come into stock. I would have gone with the British made equivalent from Works components, but theirs don’t have the attachments for a bash ring. This way you get the XX1 style teeth for better chain retention so you won’t, or shouldn’t need a chain retention device.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reccommend a good basic 1 x 10 setup.’ is closed to new replies.