Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Reccomend me rear wheel skewer
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

I am trying to find rear wheel skewer that are light yet strong. Chris King don’t recommend the use of titanium now I know some folk use Ti no issues however I did but a couple of Ti skewers nice looking & small but all they did was creak when under pedal pressure. Looking for a alternative to shimano, hope all the usual stuff.

Cheers

jam-bo

XT. cheap, light, strong. not sure why you’d bother with anything different.

druidh
    Free Member

The answer is Shimano. It’s always Shimano.

meehaja
    Free Member

I spent ages looking for tarty skewers. Best I could find was Salsa rasta skewers (which would look good on my all black bike) but for the £50, figured I’d just do with Shimano, they do the job. If you want to save weight get some bolt on ones and be more secure as well.

lunge

Shimano. Not pimp but strong, secure and light enough.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shimano or DT RWS. Nothing else worth looking at, IMHO.

Tony.w
    Free Member

Thanks all seems everyone likes shimano 🙂

Oops sorry that first post should have said buy a couple ……

patriotpro
    Free Member

Hope

palmer77
    Free Member

Halo Porkies

ads678

Halo Porkies

+1 they are great!

But so are shimano.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Exposed cam skewers aren’t very good at skewering. The Late Sheldon covers the pertinent reasons in one of his pages. They might look nice (if your one of those luvvies that puts form above function).

Shimano Deore and above.

andyl
    Free Member

shimano. Pop down to your LBS and ask if they have a box full you can rummage through and pick up some cheap ones and you might find some XT.

Unfortunately internal cam ones are always going to be heavier than external cam ones but they are just better and steel shafts are much stiffer than Ti.

accu
    Free Member

+1 for hope !

jota180
    Free Member

My favorites

patriotpro
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member
    Exposed cam skewers aren’t very good at skewering

Why?

somafunk

Mavic as above on one bike but that’s what came with my Mavic SLR’s and they do have a nice over cam action that snaps into position, the only other skewer i will use, and do use on my other bikes are the Chromag Skewers – not cheap by any means but very effective and secure.

RobHilton
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member

TuckerUK – Member
    Exposed cam skewers aren’t very good at skewering

Why?

http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

big_n_daft
    Free Member

XT. cheap, light, strong. not sure why you’d bother with anything different.

+1

patriotpro
    Free Member

Rob – cheers, interesting link that. It wouldn’t put me off buying an ‘exposed’ type design. Reason being is that i’ve never had a problem doing my Hope skewer tight and keeping it that way, my maintenance is also keen. On top of that there is the weight benefit.

Having said that that link should help people to weigh up the pros and cons of the different designs and decide based upon there priorities.

smiff
    Free Member

with 5mm skewers, i’d forget about light and get the strongest, stiffest thing you can, which is probably a solid steel rod with a big lever on the end. the weight isn’t much and the job is important. afaict shimano deore (alloy ones, not the cheap steel ones) are the same as Xt without the logos.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Mavic (same as above)

& shimano.

Nothing more. End of thread.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The xt lever is a bit more elegant.

Northwind

For QR, Shimano, obviously.

But I like the Halo Hex bolt-through skewers- they’re tidy, they’re a bit lighter, they cost buttons and I’ve never wanted to remove a wheel when there weren’t tools on hand anyway.

smiff
    Free Member

ok martin you are right, the xt lever is a bit different to deore, but any functional difference? and deore has a hole in, holes are always good right? 🙂

remember any bike can take at least a 10mm rear and 9mm front axle, if you have suitable hubs. i almost want to put that last sentence in bold but then i’d look a d**k.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me rear wheel skewer’ is closed to new replies.