Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reccomend me a torque wrench
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Need one for my bottom bracket…

Merak

What, for the cranks?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Doh!

Yes for the cranks!

james
    Free Member

bottom brackets do have a torque setting though no? Seem to think something like 55Nm (or is that something else?) so loads. Loads more than I’d ever crank up with a BB tool so never bother

For crankarms, stems, brake *calipers, etc I’d reccomend what I have, the BBB one for about £50 or so. Came with a decent selection of bits that have yet to show any sign of rounding at all, goes down to 2Nm and the box is quite useful

*brake and gear levers I can’t see the point of torquing, nor doing tight. I do them just nipped enough that they won’t move when operating, that way when I crash they spin around instead of being the taking the brunt of it. Plus I can tweak them pootling along flat stuff

somafunk

By cranks do you mean Sram/Truvativ types that need a torque setting upwards of 40Nm through the 8mm hex bolt or do you mean square taper crank arms with the central M8 bolt or do you mean bog standard fit n’ forget Shimano x2 M6 pinch bolts in the non drive side crank arm @ 12-14 Nm, if it’s the latter then I recommend this one, perfect for every torque setting on your bike and it’s the same as many others costing far more.

Merak

You dont need a torq wrench for the pinch bolts. Just tighten them equally in steps until your elbow clicks. That’ll be tight enough. Its about 14nm for pinch bolts which is alot.

FWIW the only application they are good for is carbon on carbon. If you feel you want one then BBB do a very good one.

Best of luck

jkomo

I have a surplus park tool one. It’s the high range one, I wanted the low.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve got a Halfords Professional one. Very good, but only goes as low as 8Nm.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60766 and can’t recommend it enough. I had a bargain too as someone was selling it for £30 🙂

swampi
    Free Member

i got one from superstar for £35 which seems the same as all the ones like bbb which all sell for £50 odd

jkomo

I’d sell my park tool for £30

workhard
    Free Member

I’ve got two Sealey ones. a short stubbier one for light torquing and a much longer one for stuff like BB’s and cranks.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

jkomo – Member

I’d sell my park tool for £30

emailed you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a torque wrench’ is closed to new replies.