Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Reccomend me a steel hardtail
  • HTTP404
    Free Member

HTTP404 – Member
    “…..I don’t see much point in carrying around that excess frame weight or fork travel if I don’t need it……”

HTTP404, if you can notice it when riding you should turn pro.

In other words you believe in carrying excess frame weight and fork travel when you don’t need it?

Mike – sorry, the point still stands. Maybe I could, maybe I couldn’t tell the difference … I actually never said either. What I said is it’s pointless to carry around the excess weight (and fork travel) if you don’t need it.

Hopefully, the OP will buy the right bike for the kind of riding he does and not buy an overly-built fashion statement.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hopefully, the OP will buy the right bike for the kind of riding he does and not buy an overly-built fashion statement.

No-one ever got hurt from being overbiked. That is science as well.

…not sure where the fashion bit comes in tho.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Ash wrote – it’s geometry is very well thought out such that it climbs as well as bikes a bit lighter

well apparently that’s only true if the lighter bike is only lighter by not more than a pound. 🙂

No-one ever got hurt from being overbiked

That’s profound.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Demon Frameworks

Custom frame building – get something that is exactly right for what you ride. Check out the lugged frame on his site – theres not much up yet but he’s doing nice things with Reynolds tubing.

Jamie
    Free Member

HTTP404:

That’s profound.

No it’s FACT.

CountZero

Not sure if this is going to work, but here goes:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/countzero1/3319506296/
    It doesn’t seem to be working, so here’s the URL
    This is my Inbred earlier today, taken with my phone.

rs
    Free Member

Have to say the comments about a PA or whatever being too much bike is such a lot of pish, granted maybe you don’t need the extra strength but that’s like saying we don’t all need our six inch full sussers, in most cases we don’t but they’re bloody good fun.

Any of the current steel hardtails are going to be pretty good and everybody seems to love the one they’ve got, I took my alpine out for its maiden ride today and it was **** awesome. Get whatever one you like the look off, your unlikely to be disappointed.

metalheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Cotic here. And a photo in case you forgotten what they look like:

Used to have a Handjob (the 100mm forks version) and much prefer the Soul. The long top tube short stem heaps of standover certainly works for me.

Like yourself I went through a period of agonising over what to get but wasn’t disappointed.

Is it worth the difference between the likes of a 456 or PA? Dunno.

HTH

HTTP404 – Member

In other words you believe in carrying excess frame weight and fork travel when you don’t need it?

Half a pound on my bike is nothing compared to the 2 stone I’d like to lose from my body.

ash

Have to say the comments about a PA or whatever being too much bike is such a lot of pish, granted maybe you don’t need the extra strength but that’s like saying we don’t all need our six inch full sussers, in most cases we don’t but they’re bloody good fun.

Any of the current steel hardtails are going to be pretty good and everybody seems to love the one they’ve got, I took my alpine out for its maiden ride today and it was **** awesome. Get whatever one you like the look off, your unlikely to be disappointed.

amen to that 🙂

stealthcat

Try to test ride a couple of them… I know some people love Inbreds and hate Cotics; other people are the other way round.

I found a second hand RM Blizzard for sensible money a couple of years ago; if I didn’t have that I’d have a Soul (or I’d have found the cash for a Soda somehow!) but that’s because I like the way they ride.

DezB
    Free Member

Come on boy, make a decision!
    You probably need to ride a few, but I don’t reckon you’ll go wrong with a Soul, PA or Handjob.
    I only rode one of these for a few minutes and I knew…

harryflashman
    Free Member

My head says Inbred, my heart says PA. And having never done anything the sensible way, its going to be a PA. Thanks for your advice everybuddy, next week – reccomend me a 130mm fork to go on it!

ash

you will not regret it

jfeb
    Free Member

You should always by bikes with your heart, so good choice.

I suspect none of the bikes mentioned on this thread would be a bad choice though.

hora
    Free Member

I know some people love Inbreds and hate Cotics; other people are the other way round.

Totally agree. One ride on a 2ndhand Soul and I sold it. One testride on a Handjob and I didnt like it.

Jamie
    Free Member

harryflashman:

Thanks for your advice everybuddy, next week – reccomend me a 130mm fork to go on it!

20mm wheels then Pikes. QR then Revs.

Next 😉

HTTP404
    Free Member

As you can see bikes are a personal thing so test ride something first if you can .. or you’ll risk posting onto the classifieds next. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

#
    HTTP404 – Member

As you can see bikes are a personal thing so test ride something first if you can .. or you’ll risk posting onto the classifieds next. [:-)]
    Posted 4 minutes ago # Report-Post

Very true. Only problem with frame only is that it can be tricky unless you know someone who has one built or are lucky enough to have a shop that does custom builds and has demos. When i built my Alpine it was essentially a leap of faith as had never ridden one before and didnt know what the final product would end up/fit like.

HTTP404
    Free Member

tbh – I’ve never test ridden a frame before buying. The main problem is finding the right size demo. You’ll have more luck posting on here for a kind hearted soul to allow you to test ride.
    head for the hills in Dorking have a demo PA bike if harryflashman is in that area.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looking at todays, even newly inflated prices, the Handjobis great value.

I was @ Llandegla yesterday and while having a past ride lunch, flicked trough a copy of WMB from 2001, the Handjob frame was £350 back then!!, you could even buy a house for well under 100K then aswell!!

gingerflash

“gingerflash-where did you get the chromag? dunno who distributes them in the UK do you? “

Sorry for the delay in replying.

There is no UK importer.

Chromag will send them direct from their factory but on top of full RRP, they’ll charge $280 shipping and won’t do anything to help with your import duties.

I got mine from T2 Bikes in Georgia, US. T2 charged exactly the same for the frame, but charged $60 shipping and, due to their labelling, I paid VAT on $200 and no import duties. It saved me several hundred dollars and didn’t end up costing much more than a resprayed Cotic, which was something else I was considering.

hugorune

I think the man has made his mind up!

I’ve just changed my PA from a 2007 RS revelation to a fox 32 floar RL. Both of them are damn fine although I’m seriously considering getting the bolt through conversion for the fox. I think a coil pike might be a bit hard core (and it’s 140mm). Again it all depends on your weight, riding style, Where you’re riding and whether you can afford to buy new.

Good luck

iainc

another Rock Lobster reccomendation here

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a steel hardtail’ is closed to new replies.