Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Reccomend a saddle End to end ride
  • Divid
    Free Member

Hi

Doing Lands End ride this month and thinking worth investing in new place to park the derrier for 6-8 hrs a day.

What's your reccomendation as seems so much choice out there?

Cheers

Edric64
    Free Member

Really good shorts such as Assos will help as much as a new saddle

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Brooks B-17.

STATO
    Free Member

can i be the first to say 'youve left it too late' as your not going to have time to know if your new saddle will suit your backside for that length of time. However weve all left things too late and there is no use fretting now, your legs/arms are gonna hurt as much as your backside soon enough ;0)

For me i get on very well with Brooks saddles, the Swift on my MTB is the best thing ever, B17 on the tourer might be better but only really comfortable when sat more upright (suppose that makes sense really). Shorts are a massive bonus if you can get some that work for you, but thats as hard to work out as saddles. I like assos but find they ride up a bit too much. Endura seem better for me but then a mate swears by Lidl, and he has tried others, think the thinner pad suits him better. Whatever you do, good luck with the ride.

sockpuppet

try a charge spoon. lots of people get on with them, and wiggle will have one with you sharpish for £22.49

tilt the nose up a little further than you think to stop you sliding forward and see how you get on.

they do get more comfy over time, but you'll get a good idea soon, and if not you'll shift it on here for £15 easily, so no great loss.

otherwise try a SDG bel air – another MTB rather than roadie saddle, but another popular shape, with a fair amount more padding than the spoon.

hth

(i'll be riding LEJOG in september on a charge saddle – a knife if it breaks in ok if not my old spoon – have fun)

oh, BTW, +1 on spending more on shorts. well worth it. minty arse lard/sudocreme etc too.

EccentricEllis

Brooks b17 or similar and Assos shorts with Chamonix cream!

trail_rat
    Free Member

brooks b17 – who said they only work in upright positions – i have one on my time trial machine – that is my planet x stealth – seems as comfortable as anything else despite the hard nose – and i can really sit on the rivit with it 😉

did 500k on the past weekend on my broken in b17 without as much as a sore bum ! there is a reason all the experianced (natch old folk) use brooks – its not cause they are stuck in their ways its cause they work.

the best thing i can say about brooks is that i didnt notice it all weekend !

oh and as i said last week on a similar thread. chamois cream seems to be fine if your only going out for a couple hours but i find it softens the skin if left on over a long period of time and causes sores and welts on the skin. – have had severe issues at 10/24 hour races with this – done my last 3 with no chamois cream and had zero issues – that was assos and udderly smooth . i also rode 80k daily for 3 months and 400k and 500k on the last 2 weekends just past with no chamois cream no problems.

just a warning – everyone seems to pipe up chamois cream all the time when it comes to long rides but i think it does more harm than good on very long rides

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Another one here for the no chamois cream approach. In just dont see the logic in applying something that will encourage your clothing to slide when you're trying to stop chaffage.

plumber
    Free Member

I swapped from a planetx to a spec phenom mid tour and is was infinately better – did the measure for correct sit bone width which is inportant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend a saddle End to end ride’ is closed to new replies.